PDA

View Full Version : RAF Joining help....

AFCLFC
2nd Mar 2007, 16:24
This is a medical post but as the title states also an RAF procedure post.

In reference to a previous post I have entered on this forum.

I have just been told I'm unfit for service in the RAF due to an eyesight problem. The doctor who took my medical was in doubt even though I had a full RAF report filled out by an optician confirming I meet the criteria! I'm unaware of the process on what happens to a candidate that has some issues. Apparently the doctor has spoken to the RAF to get there opinion on the situation. I have been told I'm able to appeal, please can I have some guidance to this sort of situation. If anyone has undergone this process can you please help in any way possible.

Thank you for your time.

samuraimatt
2nd Mar 2007, 16:37
Try posting here if you are applying for a ground trade.

http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=144
(http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=144)

toddbabe
2nd Mar 2007, 17:00
Matt I may be wrong but I think he might be going for aircrew! what with this being an aircrew forum and that the eye test criteria are more restrictive for aircrew than ground crew.

samuraimatt
2nd Mar 2007, 17:05
Todbabe according to his post on this thread he is applying for a ground trade.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3150502#post3150502

As for this being an Aircrew forum perhaps you should read the description of the forum above.

Irish Tempest
2nd Mar 2007, 21:56
Hi,
I initially went for a Sixth form scholarship and Flying Scholarship with crab air (remember Wg Cdr Massey anyone?). Anyway because I had put down Photographic Interpreter as my 3rd branch choice (cunningly now renamed Intelligence Officer (same job but sexier title to improve recruitment)) I had a bit more of an exacting eyesight test at Biggin. They found an issue of some sort and I was sent to Central Medical Establishment, kelvin House in London to be seen by an Air Cdre in charge of eyesight...
Anyway long story cut relatively short - he failed me outright for any form of aircrew. I was a little shocked and rather :mad: of to say the least. I went home saw a eye surgeon who tested me (cost a few quid), he found no problems with my eyes wrote back to the President of the board at Biggin I was then called forward to see Air Cdre ####### again who subsequently passed me fully fit for any aircrew role... humble pie was given from one spotty 16 year old to one Air Cdre. In hindsight I wonder just how many other :mad: up decisions this :mad: had made in his career and screwed up other wannabees.

I eventually made the right choice and joined the senior Service and am currently doing a common appointment in charge of a recruiting region in the UK for the RN - and now deal with this sort of problem routinely.

If you have any doubts or belief in yourself please do get an independent report. About 50% of reviews are upheld.:ok:

Regards

AFCLFC
3rd Mar 2007, 19:19
Thanks for the feedback and apologies to anyone who is a bit hacked off with me putting posts in this forum. I'm currently appealing the decision and hoping for some answers as to why they are disregarding another medical professional’s opinion that is specialized in eyesight!

Thanks Again

And I'll try and keep the posts to a minimum