PDA

View Full Version : Free snacks at Gloucester - again!

matspart3
2nd Mar 2007, 15:37
After a brief hiatus, the freebie snack vouchers for you military aircrew types are available again for the cafe at Gloucester.
Can we have our Pumas, Merlins and Chinooks back now?:)
(...and can you buy lots of fuel when you're here)

Big Toe
2nd Mar 2007, 20:31
I I ever manage to get over the border (getting out of the MATZ is difficult enough these days) I'll make sure I drop in.

TheWizard
2nd Mar 2007, 21:31
After a brief hiatus, the freebie snack vouchers for you military aircrew types are available again for the cafe at Gloucester.

With an offer like that, are you sure Gloucester can take a couple of Nimrods and a few Hercs?:E

country calls
2nd Mar 2007, 21:42
"With an offer like that, are you sure Gloucester can take a couple of Nimrods and a few Hercs?"

Sure the airfield could, but could the caterers cope with the formation eating teams on either fleet?

BEagle
3rd Mar 2007, 07:22
Presumably these freebie snack vouchers are paid for from the recent huge increase in landing fees at Staverton?

helidriver
3rd Mar 2007, 09:21
It was a highlight, in along transit, to get the voucher and strole over to the Cafe and receive a Sausage and Egg Banjo in return. Then listen to the old girl who ran/owned(?) the cafe talk about her late husband who was a Lanc pilot in WW2. Apparently, they used to own the whole facility but to be honest I don't care if it was true or not, still enjoyed the free Banjo. :ok:

Glad to see the issues are sorted and mil crews can enjoy some hospitality on our soil, even if the scoff was billed in the landing fee.;)

Gulfstreamaviator
3rd Mar 2007, 13:45
But I paid for my butty........

actually two, but who's counting.....

glf

matspart3
3rd Mar 2007, 13:45
The landing fees haven't changed since last April?

PPRuNe Pop
3rd Mar 2007, 15:57
Oh BEags you are such a cynic! ;)

Seldomfitforpurpose
3rd Mar 2007, 17:09
After all the furore of the RAF Regiment thread yesterday and it's applicability we now have a not so thinly disguised advert for a civvy airfield who would like us military folk to visit, pay an assortment of fee's for services rendered and buy fuel.........all for the promise of a free "egg banjo" :rolleyes:

I have no issues with either as both have military connotations however a bit of Mod consistency would no go amiss eh Scroggs :ok:

BEagle
3rd Mar 2007, 17:17
Cynic? Moi??

In April 2006, the landing fees for aircraft under 1500 kg engaged in PPL/NPPL training increased from £10.50 to £17.00. This was an increase of 61.9%, or approximately twenty times the increase of '2.5 to 3%, in line with inflation' stated in Staverton Airport's AAN 09/06.

Still, at least when you fly out of Staverton you can rattle the windows at Binnsworth!

matspart3
3rd Mar 2007, 17:23
BEags
OK OK that was a fair cop, the student discount did take a nose dive, but all the other fees went up by 3%

Mmmmnice
3rd Mar 2007, 20:08
M3 - How much are landing fees for 15 tonnes of multi-bladed livestock scarer? We've rather got out of the habit of going anywhere interesting since spending/wasting money on ldg fees and petrol usually requires several hundredweight of justification paperwork - much easier to stick with those exotic (free) destinations in Oxon and Wilts!
One used to get free egg/bacon/sausage baps with every refuel at Halfpenny Green (WBA)

matspart3
4th Mar 2007, 09:10
Her Majesty will be charged the princely sum of £18.50 per metric tonne, or part thereof, which is pretty much about the same as the other civvy airfields in this part of the world.

This all came about a few years ago. The MD knew that a fair chunk of rotary traffic was using Hal'penny Green & Shobdon for refuelling and wanted to try to attract some of it to Gloucester instead. He contacted various people at Odiham and Benson (which is no mean feat, in itself, unless you know the name, rank, number and inside leg measurement of the person you need to speak to....) to make the case. Obviously, we're aware that there are 'budgetary issues' so an arrangement where the prices are comparable with the other airfields and there's an incentive for the crews seemed like a good idea. It worked. Could have been entirely coincidental, but word seemed to spread and there was an increase in military visitors, the cafe is bedecked with signed Squadron prints and photos, everyone's happy! The voucher scheme went for a ball of chalk, briefly, following a few management changes at the cafe, but it's now been reinstated - hence my original post.

If the mods think its a 'not so thinly veiled advert', then I'm sure it (and I) will be dealt with accordingly! Personally, I've always taken the view that if it saves a 30-minute round trip back to Brize or Lyenham from deepest darkest Wales, its probably justifiable...even to the beancounters!

BLEED-AIR
4th Mar 2007, 12:33
It would be useful if aircrews both rotary and fixed advised us all of free food facilities currently available at airfields and helicopter landing sites in the uk especially in remote areas. I know Elwood HLS in Northumberland has provided free food for visiting aircrews for over fifteen years to both military and civil visitors and you don't even have to uplift fuel. The best I have come across in the UK. It seems to attract the military crews like a magnet everytime I have flown in the military are visiting.:) :)