PDA

View Full Version : Egnatia hour building to ATPL

matty31
2nd Mar 2007, 11:41
As we are not allowed to mention PPL I thought I'd start a new thread so the very useful discussion for possible students and those already attending could be carried on. As the school offers a 0 to ATPL with the PPL being the first part I don't see how its not relevant and as most of the thread was about ATPLs etc I can't see why it was pulled? :mad:

Cheers Matt

scroggs
2nd Mar 2007, 14:42
The thread has not been pulled. It is perfectly visible. It has, however, been closed to prevent it becoming a discussion about PPLs, for which there is a dedicated forum. The same has happened to discussions about other schools in the past, and will no doubt happen again. This is not an attack on anyone or any school.

Let me reiterate - it is perfectly reasonable to discuss the school, its accommodation, its facilities, its aircraft, its location etc, so long as the focus is on courses which train for CPL and above. Private Flying is the forum for PPL discussion.

Scroggs

matty31
2nd Mar 2007, 14:50
Sorry what is the difference... you could have just given a warning about PPL discussions, I don't see what the problem is?
Now the thread is locked it will fall off the bottom of the page which is a shame as the information is relevant to anyone making a choice of where to train.
Cheers
Matt

gls.fly
2nd Mar 2007, 15:56
I think that the main focus was on CPL and above so I guess you could reactivate the thread so all that info is not lost..... as for the PPLs you could have just issued a reminder before pulling the thread.
I m sure that sense will prevail.

scroggs
2nd Mar 2007, 15:57
I don't give warnings about standing Pprune policy. The purpose of this forum is evident from its title, and has not changed. The previous thread has not 'disappeared'; it is perfectly available for anyone who wishes to do a search. When and if I get time, I will add it to the sticky thread at the top of the forum. Right now, I have other things to do.

Scroggs

Speed bird 002
2nd Mar 2007, 19:26
Greetings my fellow Wannabees :}

I have emailed Egnatia of my intentions of not training there and have requested my deposit to be returned in the same gratitude it was sent :E I am absolutely over the moon and thank the feedback recieved from the student at Egnatia who submitted a post in the previous forum.

I can now enjoy my new fulltime sales job and brand new company car until July and then get my a*** to Moncton Flight College for my PPL and Hour building. ME/CPL/IR at Cabair follows from there as soon as im done in Canada.....

Many Thanks once again :ok:

captain_rossco
2nd Mar 2007, 20:40
Hi all,

It would appear that things are getting a little interesting here!

Not seen too much neg feedback re Egnatia so was interested to read the issues raised.

Speedbird, I can presume that you have heard back form egnatia re your deposit?

You may wish to hold fire on your flight school choice until you have ALL the details you need.The negative post about Egnatia appeared yesterday, and since then you have requested your deposit returned, researched the best school for you AND chosen a new flight school in Canada!

Less haste..............

:ok:

EpsilonVaz
3rd Mar 2007, 15:14
On the Topic of this thread, I've already done my hour building at Egnatia.

It was pretty awesome getting to go to all the Greek Islands! A load of us got into 2 planes and went to Zante for a night out aswell (ofc there was non-drinking pilots to fly back :} )

Hour building in Greece + Beach = Almost like a holiday! :E

ron83
5th Mar 2007, 16:08
The initial message addressed to George CFI in Egantia,but I would like to hear responses from other members who knows,what's going on in that school.
Hi George,

I've seen your recent post regarding cons and pros of school you working in.
Since there were many subjects few people were debating on that thread,I would like to ask you some more info. I believe it will be interesting for other members of this forum who is interested in training.
Since one membere stated that you have few planes to train on,ans priority goes to cyprus cadets!!
1.Do you as training provider guarantee that students finish on time especially interested about 0-to fATPL in house course?
2.How long the course last?
3. Do you have any delays?(as you mentioned,weather can be an issue,but,honestly saing I've been in Greece many times,and I can't complain regarding weather,so it shouldn't be an issue).
4.What are the average pass rate,and pass marks of your students on ATPL theory exams?
5.I agree with that,basically it doesn't matter how many planes your school have,BUT unless there are no STUPID delays,because there are too many students,and not enough planes to train on,is that an issue??
6.And probably last question,at least at the time being,was said that you have problems with ATPL theory teachers,you said thay you have proffesor coming on weekends,so basically if he comes only on weekends it's mostly SELF-study and not FULL in HOUSE study?Are you working on solving this issue?

Otherwise,your web site was pretty informative,and I'm sure Greece is really nice place to get training in,been several times.
I would like to post this message as separate thread so other forum members could participate in disscussion.
Regards,Ron.:bored:

georgez
6th Mar 2007, 08:36
Ron, I have just seen this post. I replied to your PM already - make it public if you wish. A small correction - I am not the CFI but one of the company directors (I do not know if that is better or worse!).

Take care,

George :)
Egnatia Aviation Director

ron83
6th Mar 2007, 15:44
Ok guys,for those who is interested about it,that,what was in PM that George have sent to me.
Hi Ron,

Thanks for your interest in Egnatia Aviation.

No priority is given to Greeks, Cypriots, British or any other nationality for that matter. It was somebody’s anonymous opinion and it is unfounded. All students receive equal attention and their progress vastly depends on their commitment and attitude. If you turn up when you should, prepare well and work with your instructor you will progress faster. Most students fail to realise that you need to think as a commercial pilot from the first day of your training. In our opinion this is an essential ingredient of your training.

Regarding your questions:
1 – There are no guarantees in aviation. No responsible school will guarantee that you will complete your training on a specific date or timescale as this depends mostly on you. Egnatia Aviation can promise, as a responsible FTO, that we will do whatever possible for you to finish on time and there will be no stupid delays as you put it. For courses such as the 0-ATPL, there is more flexibility to catch up if for whatever reason a certain module finished late. You can also leave part of the training such as Hour Build for later, or in between ATPL Theory stages as 6 or 9 months is a long time without any flying. We work out a student specific course which gets updated regularly based on progress etc. Financially, it is better for us for people to finish early too.

2 – The course lasts 11 – 12 months depending on Christmas and Easter holidays. The school does not close more than 4 days for each but many students request to go back home for longer than that, something that we understand, and provided that their progress permits it, we are flexible. An instructor is available even during those days as we get many requests from the locals for pay-as-you-go training and trial flights.

3- No there have been no significant delays due to the weather, aircraft or instructor availability. There has been a delay in PPL theory exams for a couple of students due to a transitional period with the Hellenic CAA which was resolved today (as it happens), but as these students are here for 0 – ATPL they will not loose any time overall. Egnatia Aviation has asked officially JAA to honour the ‘mutual recognition’ concept and status between member states as it would appear that some started to drift away from what JAA (and EASA) is all about and this issue is going to be raised at the next authorities and council meetings.

4 – Nobody has yet failed an ATPL Theory exam and the average is exactly 96%

5 - As I mentioned above this is not an issue.

6 – The professor teaches in the classroom 3 days a week at present (the days are irrelevant) for this stage, plus one of our instructors is also teaching/coaching for at least one more day. They are not classed as Self-study. Our students are getting ready for 6 subjects next month. We are of course working on not only resolving any remaining issues with the ATPL Theory instructors but also to provide a more modern, flexible and effective system. We have at least 13 people waiting to start the next stage at the end of April.

Feel free to come and visit. This will give you the opportunity to speak not only to the instructors but also to many students from all over the world. Your opinion will then be based on named individuals and not on an anonymous objective comment.

We are always available. Take care,

flyasthesky
7th Mar 2007, 00:23
Hello everyone I've only recently seen the Egnatia aviation website and I have to say the 0 to jaa atpl is quite impressive with that price range. My question is this course considered intergrated or modular, thank for your time:)

PlaneHomerS
7th Mar 2007, 07:16
Hello and welcome to pprune.

Egnatia's course appears to be modular.

Egnatia threads:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=266377

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235814

flyasthesky
7th Mar 2007, 09:39
Thank you for the reply PlaneHomerS, just wanted to clear that one up, thanks again:ok: .

skyflo
7th Mar 2007, 10:29
Hi all,
I will soon do my MEP training in Egnatia the last week of March (and if all goes well, will see for IR too).
I'm CPL/FI and hope to see some of pprune's Egnatia student (matt85,..) soon.
Regards,
Florent

Billo
10th Mar 2007, 21:56
Hi All

Does anybody heard about Egnatia Aviation school in Greece????
Does anybody have experiance with them? Is it good school to go?

PlaneHomerS
11th Mar 2007, 10:54
Hi,

The search function above will get you lots of info! :cool:

Egnatia threads:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=266377&highlight=Egnatia

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235814&highlight=Egnatia

+rock on
+PHS

aziz4uall
11th Mar 2007, 19:20
Hello All
I just finished my last four ATPL exams on thursday, just been on a break since then,I've been reading the forums recently and all i would comment is THERE IS NO WAY U CAN SAY IS PERFECT..every place has its positive and negative points, Egnatia sounds pretty good im just waiting for my results and once i get them im down there.will let u know how the place is, if there's anything i should know, please keep me posted, hope to see all of you who are currently down there, and hope to have a good time while im there.

yoda1
11th Mar 2007, 19:56
Hello All
I just finished my last four ATPL exams on thursday, just been on a break since then,I've been reading the forums recently and all i would comment is THERE IS NO WAY U CAN SAY IS PERFECT..every place has its positive and negative points, Egnatia sounds pretty good im just waiting for my results and once i get them im down there.will let u know how the place is, if there's anything i should know, please keep me posted, hope to see all of you who are currently down there, and hope to have a good time while im there.

You should have no problems with the advanced stages of flying (from what i saw) they are pretty good. They only have a few kinks to work out with the initial stages of the basic flying and atpl theory, once they do they have the makings of a great school. Have fun in the da40 & da42.

Take loads of dvd's with you as keromoti is a great place to live in but Greek tv is poo...

aziz4uall
11th Mar 2007, 21:55
Thanks Yoda1
I don't think i will have a problem with egnatia, they have been working professionally with me,very helpful. regarding the ATPL theory i've just finished my training with Atlantic Flight Training in Coventry.
thanks once again

aziz4uall
11th Mar 2007, 21:58
Hi all,
I will soon do my MEP training in Egnatia the last week of March (and if all goes well, will see for IR too).
I'm CPL/FI and hope to see some of pprune's Egnatia student (matt85,..) soon.
Regards,
Florent

hope to c u in March

quickair
15th Mar 2007, 19:44
Hi Guys

I am a student of Egnatia Aviation, Egnatia is a FTO which try to make a school with high standars in aviation training but needs some changes....believe that the training which offers is much better than many schools in Europe which focus just in money, but has as a new school, a new company some problems which are possible to dissapoint the students....

Don't worry

skyflo
16th Mar 2007, 21:31
Hi aziz4uall & quickair,

I'll arrive the 25th March at Kavala :-) Hope the sun is shinning there !!!!
At which step of the training are you (PPL, CPL, IR) ?

Florent

blobber
20th Mar 2007, 15:32
I am a JAA FI but started my training in USA and still need to convert to JAA MEIR. I have been thinking about Egnatia, heard a couple good and bad things about the place from the other thread.
The worst of the things I guess is only having one DA42. Also, I have spoken to CFI there who was fairly wasn't really very helpful. Is this the same sort of treatment I can expect if i go there?

I can only guess that there is not package put together for conversions.

Am I able to simply turn up with my required licenses, do the minimum training (to requirement) pass the test and go? Anyone know if the test fee is 700 same as uk?

Thanks

georgez
25th Mar 2007, 10:14
Blobber, why didn't you sent us an email? Grabbing the CFI on the phone as he was passing when he was rushing to or from another student is not the best way to get the information you want. He is, like all the other instructors, very busy and their main job is to look after the existing students not the potential ones. You have to appreciate that get over a hundred calls every week regarding training and I do not want the instructors to answer training questions unless it is absolutely necessary.

Egnatia Aviation does conversions and quite a lot of them in fact. The cost depends on your specific requirements, licenses, validity and so on, but as an example, MEIR conversion with 15 Hrs on DA42, 2 hr skill test, examiner fees, 10 calendar days shared accommodation, daily transfers and IFR charts cost €5,750 including all the above and taxes. You can of course choose the pay-as-you-go option but it works out more expensive.

If you require additional information please send us an email or if you prefer to speak to someone ring the school and ask to speak to Dimitris (the accountable manager) but like me, he is not always available so he will probably have to ring you back.

Take care,

[email protected]