PDA

View Full Version : Aki terminal renamed

Regie Mental
2nd Mar 2007, 09:52
According to my local rag up here in deepest North Bucks, the Air terminal at Akrotiri is to be named after local Tory MP Mark Lancaster. You may recall that this TA Rupert caused a stink when he wrote to the Defence Secretary about the poor service he received from RAF AT on return from Afghanistan.
So the guy who slated the RAF, AT and the movers at Aki gets the place where his complaint was generated named after him. Is it me?
Any ideas on what else we could similarly rename? How about HMS Greenpeace and HMS Friends of the Earth for a couple of the new nuke subs?

Wyler
2nd Mar 2007, 10:20
Sounds like a wind up to me. The 'lads' having a joke which has been reported as 'fact'.

Wrathmonk
2nd Mar 2007, 10:27
Or perhaps the terminal is being renamed "The Lancaster Terminal" ....

.... only it is being named after the aircraft not the prat!:ok:

soddim
2nd Mar 2007, 10:34
Maybe it's a good idea to name places and organisations that are perceived as not working after politicians - after all, they don't work very well either!

Perhaps Ppruners have a few suggestions?

wokkameister
19th Mar 2007, 23:32
The 'Blair'Terminal. That could be his legacy....long as the shifty, dishonest cowboy goes.

L J R
20th Mar 2007, 03:32
How about the PPRUNE terminal, as I have never heard of any other AT Terminal so reflected in an Internet thread (except of course the mighty 'Gateway') - .... I don't even want to go there!

olddog
20th Mar 2007, 08:29
"(except of course the mighty 'Gateway') - .... I don't even want to go there!"

Nobody Does!!! Boom Boom!

St Johns Wort
20th Mar 2007, 09:02
From the OED. irony n. Figure of speech in which the intended meaning is the opposite of that expressed by the words used, ridicule in which lauditory expressions are used to imply condemnation or contempt;....................:cool:

Arthur's Wizard
21st Mar 2007, 10:38
Or perhaps the terminal is being renamed "The Lancaster Terminal" ....

.... only it is being named after the aircraft not the prat!

Why is he a prat? He was absolutely right in his description of p*ss poor services and in my opinion, not just at Akrotiri. The leaking of that letter conincided, more or less, with the thread complaining of facilities/service at Al Udied and having experienced the Deed terminal both pre and post 'modernisation', I have to say that maybe, just maybe, people power sometimes works.

Well done Mr Lancaster. At last someone with a little clout got the establishment to listen:D

Comp Charlie
21st Mar 2007, 10:52
The post above is either an example of the word 'irony' or of another 5 letter word beginning with 'i' - 'idiot'.

Which is it Mr Wizard?

Arthur's Wizard
21st Mar 2007, 11:28
Am I an idiot because I congratulated an individual for highlighting obvious and visible failings by Movers or am I an idiot for stating that the 'terminal' at the Deed is more comfortable (at least it has proper toilets now!) than it was last summer? :confused:

By the tone of your post, I assume you're a Mover, in which case, don't bother replying!:rolleyes:

Regie Mental
21st Mar 2007, 16:49
Had Mr Lancaster been a regular Major would his complaints have fallen on deaf ears? You betcha.

So if it's led to an improvement that must be a good thing. However naming the Terminal after him when there are numerous individuals whose bravery and sacrifices are far more worthy of recognition is just plain wrong.

Let's not forget that this MP managed to get a deployment which fitted in neatly with his MP's holidays and, by the content of his blog, didn't do anything worthwhile when he was in Afg. I'm sure all reservists would love to be able to pick and choose deployments to fit in with their civilian lives and then have enough time in theatre to write a blog for their local newspaper complete with photographs of them posing in front of Landrovers etc.

Arthur's Wizard
21st Mar 2007, 17:02
Reg
I think the point is being missed.
Whether or not his motivation for going on Ops was out of loyalty or not is irrelevant. He used his position to get an improvement in a service that was not up to scratch. THAT'S WHAT MP's ARE FOR! If not, what else?
I assume that naming the said terminal after him (surely that's a wind up!) is an attempt at humour (or irony even:ugh: )

Regie Mental
21st Mar 2007, 17:05
Maybe, but naming the Terminal after him is a bit OTT - although having a surname the same as an RAF bomber no doubt helped. Had he been Mark Heinkel MP or Mark Stuka MP I dare say it wouldn't have happened.

NRU74
21st Mar 2007, 18:49
If it is a sh*te place perhaps it could be named after Mark Oaten ,the LibDem MP ? [although I suspect he's not a part time pongo]