PDA

View Full Version : Coltishall Gate Guardian

Clockwork Mouse
1st Mar 2007, 09:45
I see that the Jaguar gate guardian at ex-RAF Coltishall has been removed. Anyone know where it is going to finish up?

TheHogwartsBEngO
1st Mar 2007, 09:47
The jaguar or the Hurricane?

I see you have corrected your post.

I'll get me coat...

Gainesy
1st Mar 2007, 09:57
I think the Jag has been found a home outside Norwich City Hall.

jpa-in
1st Mar 2007, 10:18
Here's pics of the removal:

http://www.ukar.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=9;t=28047

&

http://www.ukar.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=9;t=28062

John Blakeley
1st Mar 2007, 10:31
I think you will find it outside the Norfolk County Hall in Martineau Lane Norwich rather than at the City Hall.

JB

Maple 01
1st Mar 2007, 10:36
JB's right, County's got it rather than City - it's costing £14,000 to mount/light etc as a monument to the ties between Coltishall and Norfolk and a memorial to all that were killed in the line of etc. Only small fly in the ointment is that the example was a prototype and never flew from the home of the Jag but something's better than nothing!

Kitbag
1st Mar 2007, 11:13
Ironic then that the last Jag to leave was one of the first built

ZH875
1st Mar 2007, 11:46
Ironic then that the last Jag to leave was one of the first built

And not only that, it didn't need the full length of the runway to get airborne!:)

Roland Pulfrew
1st Mar 2007, 13:24
And the Hurricane is now on a stick outside High Wycombe, the home of Figh.....Err Bomber Command :ugh: (but soon to be the home of Air Command).

Jaguar Pilot
1st Mar 2007, 13:51
Let us all hope that it's looked after.

As for all the others, wouldn't it be wonderful if somehow one was kept in airworthy condition a la two Lightnings of the Lightning Preservation Group at Bruntingthorpe.

Anyone know someone rich to set the ball rolling?

Zoom
1st Mar 2007, 13:58
I think Brunthingthorpe has a Jaguar, or even 2 of them, in taxiworthy condition. That would probably be the place to start.

Olly O'Leg
1st Mar 2007, 15:57
Was at Syerston a while ago and was v sad to see a few Jags parked up on the other side of the airfield, looking all forlorn. I think they're for the PEACEKEEPER IOT exercises???

Sospan
1st Mar 2007, 16:08
Yes they are, a couple of old girls, but they are in a very bad state of repair. She will never fly again !!!

Ivor Fynn
1st Mar 2007, 17:20
I'm surprised that some of the local internees didn't try nicking it for an escape bid!!!!!

Ivor

Maple 01
1st Mar 2007, 18:44
Norwich City Council is trying to Annex bits of the surrounding suburbia as part of the Großdeutsches Reich, er, I mean Greater Norwich (actually quite sensible idea for once) The County and district councils are fighting a desperate rear-guard action. Could be they are buying their own airforce for surgical strikes against City Hall?

Are there any Jag mates fancy their chances as mercs?

BTW the City council has access to a 'real' Jag and a Vulcan for strike, and a Meteor and Lightning for air superiority/interdiction

Fight's on!

Jaguar Pilot
2nd Mar 2007, 13:07
Are there any Jag mates fancy their chances as mercs?

Nah - can't take the g at my age!

Anyway I think I would prefer the Lightning - have not flown it since 1973....

Ahh, nostalgia.

Colonal Mustard
2nd Mar 2007, 20:10
And the new Left wing movements statue being placed outside coltishall

http://www.wbur.org/photogallery/news_daily040903/images/2.jpg

Maple 01
2nd Mar 2007, 20:28
Ooooh, they've done up SHQ I see

SKYCOOK
3rd Mar 2007, 14:37
:confused: Jaguar Pilot… If you pop over to a base in Lincolnshire you should still see Jaguars flying as part operational aircraft in the RAF. I know we do have many aging frames and an air force that’s AT fleet belongs in a museum but the Jags are still doing their bit.

newt
4th Mar 2007, 06:52
SKYCOOK I think Jag Pilot is a bit old now to "pop over to Lincs" The journey might be a step too far!! I believe the Jaguar should be kept flying at least until Typhoon is capable of dropping bombs!!

Two Jags flew right past my window in Scotland the other day!! Looked great and brought a tear to the eye!! Wish they would do it everyday!

kevmusic
4th Mar 2007, 08:04
Two Jags flew right past my window in Scotland the other day!! Looked great and brought a tear to the eye!!

Must've been just after the missus threw him out! :}

Jaguar Pilot
4th Mar 2007, 16:54
B"~~+$ks Newt !!

The four wheel Jaguar will crack it in no time.

Apart from which, WTFO? WINGNUT, Barber, Conks etc....

Arrow go...

JPDUK

Hueymeister
4th Mar 2007, 18:26
Saw the TV programme presented by the guy who plays 'Judge John Deed'...called 'Over & Out'. Brought a tear to my eye, as I grew up very near Colt; Grandpa was the O'Mess Barman there 'til the mid eighties, had planned to take him to the closing bash, but sadly he died a few months before it happened. Had a flight in a T-Bird in '86 and loved every minute of it. Saw an IOT stude of mine flying the Jag, Kingo - well done fella, you always wanted to fly something pointy. HM:}

flipflopman RB199
4th Mar 2007, 19:14
Brunty only has the ONE Jaguar, XZ382.

You can't miss it as you drive onto the airfield, it's the one painted in the absolutely diabolical green 'metalflake' finish :yuk:

It is currently minus two engines, and all of her spine panels. The cockpit is also stripped and missing the seat. All in all, it is a long way from taxiable status, however, should anybody wish to attempt a "Jaguar To The Sky" I am more than happy to offer my services! :p

Flipflopman

newt
4th Mar 2007, 23:13
Careful Jag P!! Think about your blood pressure!! Remember " Its only a commercial Dear!"

Jaguar Pilot
5th Mar 2007, 13:18
Newt,

Smoke off go...