PDA

View Full Version : Arrrrgh - virus?

WE Branch Fanatic
28th Feb 2007, 23:24
For the last couple of weeks, the blue box that represents AOL spyware protection has kept popping up teling me that such and such application has been blocked. Okay.......but the the last 24 or so hours things have developed........

Yesterday, on the Toolbar I had two new program icons, both programs have now been deleted. Today, I have kept getting pop ups etc and warnings of Trojans etc. What is going on, and how do I deal with it?

I use AOL9 with Windows XP.

Any free anti virus stuff out there?

Keef
1st Mar 2007, 00:37
There is excellent free anti-virus stuff to be had, but the problem is that you are using AOL. Received wisdom is to move rapidly away from that, and to cleanse your machine of it.

For virus protection, you could do a lot worse than download AVG Free - from here (http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/). I've used that for some years, and not had a single virus infection since.

You also need a firewall (ZoneAlarm is OK) and spyware protection (AVG does one, not free if you want automatic updates).

There are many options for all of the above.

WE Branch Fanatic
1st Mar 2007, 09:31
My anti virus software is a little out of date: Norton 2003! I'm thinking of getting rid and installing something newer - perhaps AVG? AOL do something (Macafee I think) for £2.49 a month including updates. They also do a free firewall (Macafee again).

Currently doing a full spyware scan and its taking aggggggggggggges!

Keef
1st Mar 2007, 09:47
If you remove Norton and install AVG, you will be pleasantly surprised at how much faster your PC runs. McAfee is more like Norton than is is like AVG.

The free firewall from ZoneAlarm is the way to go. It takes a while to get fully set up (every time anything tries to communicate with your PC or the internet, it asks you whether or not to allow it).

If you have a modem/router, it may include a NAT firewall. I would still use ZoneAlarm too, just to be sure.

A spyware scan is a good thing to run. A virus scan is essential. AVG does my machine every morning at 0600 while I'm elsewhere.

frostbite
1st Mar 2007, 11:44
The combination of AOL, Norton, and McAfee sound like a software combo from hell to me.

You may have trouble removing all traces of Norton, but it will be worth it.

Certainly, ZA is well worth having, I use Avast instead of AVG but there's probably little difference.

Cypherus
1st Mar 2007, 11:59
Fully agree on the AOL thing since Car Phone Warehouse bought the UK end of the deal not only has it become far more suseptible to spam it seems to be trading in junk software riddled with trojans, three months on my original contract and after seven years it's going unless they celan up their act.

I ran Norton for a number of years with not a single problem on several systems and fianlly got rid of it, not because of the system loading issue, nor so much because of software bloat, I dumped it because of the 'Root Kit' it installs via the Recylce bin and though they have taken great pains to deny it's there a number of people have located and removed it only to find Norton a very feeble tool indeed.

As for Spyware and Trojans two products I have and do use are the Microsoft offering, which works fairly well and is quick, and Spybot Search & Destroy which works well out of the box once updated, I like it for it's additional functions, not for the faint hearted though unless you really now your system and the added bonus of the immunize facility means that once used the utility need only scan for any newer problems than those listed and I don't think that 12 minutes for two 350gb HDD is a bad trade off once a week.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html (Note: use the Safer-Networking #1 server to update for best results in the UK)

The freebie Zone Alarm mentioned is also worth downloading, it too has a spyware scan function though it only looks for the latest and greatest ect and can and does often miss the exotic one's.

diegolis
1st Mar 2007, 12:26
Hi, ppl and systems administrator here, my advice is just get rid of all commercial stuff like norton, panda, etc. They just pay to be on the top of the list on magazines' reviews, and the bad boys who don't like this behaviour build viruses specially designed for norton and co.
A free antivirus like AVG or freeav and an antispyware like spybot or windows defender and the default windows firewall it's all you need to be safe and fast. If you want a commercial solution then I recommend the TrendMicro PC-Cillin, it works fine.

Best Regards.

Diego

Tarq57
1st Mar 2007, 20:00
You have a trojan infestation, from the sound of it. Computer probably needs a good cleanup. This is an extremely good procedure to follow.http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Introduction
Takes a while. Before doing it, I would ditch the av applications you have (you'll also need the http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
to remove the traces of Norton), download some decent applications, Like Avast, AVG, or Avira antivirus, AVG antispyware (30 day free trial) and maybe Superantispyware, or Asquared. AdAware and Spybot have been overtaken by these three, in ability to detect/remove. They still have their uses though. Not a bad idea, in future, to read the EULA of programs installed. I've read the one for AOL securitysuite, it caused me to avoid it completely.(Erase it from my HD, actually) Lots of privacy/adware issues. Eulayser, from Javacool, is a pretty useful program for that. Good luck.

blackace
2nd Mar 2007, 01:03
My anti virus software is a little out of date: Norton 2003!

Get AVG Free, get ZoneAlarm Free and get adaware Free.

It is all you need honest.

Saab Dastard
2nd Mar 2007, 16:44
Blackace,

Please don't blaspheme - it can cause offense and is unnecessary.

SD

WE Branch Fanatic
2nd Mar 2007, 17:41
Problem solved (I think). Thanks to Rougefix (http://www.internetinspiration.co.uk/roguefix.htm).

With respect to AVG, is it possible to disable scan (it takes about 17 minutes and slows everything down, particularly during the boot up period)? Or perhaps I should alter the time so it does it when the system will be on (0000 perhaps?) to aviod conflicting with booting up?

exeng
2nd Mar 2007, 19:10
I tried Rougefix out of interest really as I am fairly well protected with AVG etc. Rougefix managed to disable the D-Link wireless dongle on this machine. Back to normal after a swift 'system restore'.

Regards
Exeng