PDA

View Full Version : CHC Oranjemund Namibia

otter712
28th Feb 2007, 16:19
I would be greatfull if anyone could give me some insights on this position regarding: living conditions, safety, type of flying, hours flown.

Best regards,

Ron

unstable load
28th Feb 2007, 18:31
Are you going on a rotating touring position or going to live there? If yes are you married with kids? How old are they? Not being nosy, it will make a difference to your experience.

otter712
28th Feb 2007, 18:45
2 years straight instead of rotating schedule of 6 weeks. I am not maried so would go alone. Not sure yet what to do.

Trolleys
28th Feb 2007, 22:36
I have two young kids and was considering applying. I want the experience of working abroad but don't want to spend 6 weeks at a time away from the family. What differences does taking family make?

mallardpi
1st Mar 2007, 12:42
Give the Base Manager at CHC Humberside a call. He used to live there and will gladly tell all.

unstable load
1st Mar 2007, 14:47
It makes a difference if you have kids or not from the point of view of their ages.
If you have kids that are in juniour school then the town is great as they only have a primary school, but if your kids are grade 8 or higher then it will be boarding school for them and you in Oranjemund without them.
If you have a family then you will get your own house, but I am not sure what they would do with a single guy, but as you will be resident there you will most likely get a house.
The houses are mostly 3 bedroom units so as a single guy you will be rattling around in one of them.
THe town is a small place that caters mostly for the De Beers diamond mine and Court Helicopters, now CHC won the contract on tender when De Beers stopped doing it themselves.

The school info is from when I was there in the mid-late 90's so they may well have upgraded to a high school by now. Suggest you contact the fellow in Humberside, or the base manager in Oranjemund direct.

Good luck, you should find it a pleasent place.

Tynecastle
1st Mar 2007, 15:45
When and where were this position[s] posted, for Fixed / Rotary Wing. Captains, Co-joes, Maintenance???