PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Dell Dimension 5100

BabyBear
28th Feb 2007, 13:08
I have the above machine which is 17 months old. It went through a period of starting on it's own after being shut down and now will not start at all. I have had it at a computer services company who advised the mother board has gone and that Dell components are unique to Dell. Seems a shame as otherwise the machine is as it first came out the box.
Anyone any ideas how it can be saved??

I might add that I have been round the houses with Dell several times now only managing to get them to advise it is not under warranty.

Many thanks

planecrazy.eu
28th Feb 2007, 13:42
My partners family have a Dell Tower, has to be around 2 - 2 1/2 years old, same problem.

When you boot it all you get is the Dell Boot Screen, every now and again it boots into windows, same was advised, the motherboard, but after taking the thing to peices, removing half a ton of dust and putting it all back it seems to work ok if its left on its side, if you put it upright it just dies, so i am guessing a loose connection or similar...My Emachine tower suffered a similar fate, but that was ram related...

If its out of warrenty they;ll not want to know unless you are willing to pay, systems are so cheap, its probibaly worth just getting another one, 17 months is a little poor, but i'v dealt with HP computers going dead just after the warranty is up...

spannersatcx
28th Feb 2007, 14:34
It may be out of the standard 12 month warranty, but you still have consumer rites and protection. It's to do with expected life of an item, do you exppect a laptop to last more than 17 months, of course, therefore you have consumer rites whereby they are obliged to offer repairs.

You'll need to do a search on the consumer rites website to find the exact wording and things. Don't give up just because they say it's out of warranty

joe2812
28th Feb 2007, 22:04
I had a laptop with them that was overheating to the point of almost melting components.

Once I finally got through to someone I could understand I was sent a brand new Inspiron 9400 (the original was a 9100) within 5 working days, all spec upgraded to my specifications.

Once you get through to the right person, I found Dell to be very helpful. It's just getting through to that person!

Cypherus
1st Mar 2007, 12:39
Sadly Dell Mainboards are specific too Dell and it's not worth thinking about an alternative replacement, however the suggestion abot consumer rights is a good one as I have found with an Inspiron belonging to a friend that turned up it's toes after just 15 months, if pressured correctly the same person that told you 'No way' will click on an alternate page of instructions on how to deal with 'Someone who Knows the Law' options and you will find they are very helpful, our lass got a brand new one, DHL direct to Paris the next morning along with a very nice 'Were Sorry' grovel note attached.

A quick web search will probaly turn up 'WHICH' and a lot more about this subject so give it a go. Or rather have a go at them, 17 months is pityful really for a Laptop.

BabyBear
1st Mar 2007, 12:53
Many thanks to one and all.

I have contacted a consumer advice line and indeed they advise it is questionable if the product is 'fit for purpose'. So the letter is off to Dell and I await a response.

Thanks again.