PDA

View Full Version : LHR T4 check in

GANNET FAN
27th Feb 2007, 14:17
I know this is a bit of a pain, but I would be very grateful to learn from anybody who can tell me what the check in queues are like for Terminal 4 and especially queues for security for an etd of 1330 hrs

Her indoors saying extra time isn't necessary and won't listen. Yeah I know, henpecked or what!!

27th Feb 2007, 15:56
Although the security queues are long, they do move. If you check in on time and go straight to the queue, you shouldn't have any issues.

Check-in queues really depend on the airline you are flying with and the class you are travelling in. I've used KLM and BA on a relatively regular basis. The KLM queues are never really a problem. BA can have some horrible economy class queues, but are OK in other classes. In the absolute worst case, I think it once took me about 45 minutes to get through the BA queue, but it's usually better than that.

perkin
27th Feb 2007, 22:16
Why not check-in online then all you have to do is worry about dropping your bags, assuming you want to check luggage in...most airlines seem to be pretty well setup with genuinely fast bag drops for internet check-ins these days...just a thought :)

PAXboy
27th Feb 2007, 23:11
When you check in online, they tell you to take your bags to the Fast Bag Drop. What has happened in the last 6 to 10 months is that many, many more folks are now using this facility but the provision of FBD desks has not kept pace. BA are converting more regular desks to FBD but the process can be almost as slow as the regular route. Now know as Slow Bag Drop.

The main reason, as far as I can tell, is that folks check in on line but still have the same kind of problems, "I din't mean to make that selection" "I want/don't want a window/exit row" "No my bag is not overweight" "My computer crashed blah blah".

Currently, if I have to queue (anywhere) I would allow 1.25 hrs for check-in and security. With on-line check in, I would allow 1 hour. So I agree that you should go for it but do not tell your wife and aim to get there at the usual time. If you land up with an extra 15 minutes airside - that is a bonus!!

Please stop back here later and let us know how the timing worked out. :)

manintheback
28th Feb 2007, 07:58
As Paxboy says, Fast Bag Drop has become a bit of a farce. As to queues, I'm afraid you are in the lap of the gods. Economy can be really horrible but BA staff do try to sort things out and you'll pass that part given a sensible arrival time at the airport.
As to Security, on a bad day and it can be any time of day the queues will build back out of the terminal. I would allow 3 hours to be safe. If fasttracking, then usually no more than 30 minutes for check-in and security. Murphys law of course means you'll swan through in 10 minutes but c'est la vie.

GANNET FAN
28th Feb 2007, 08:23
Many thanks all for your replies. BA to Denver, club (thank you BA miles). Always on line check in and fast bag drop but as you say, this can be a lengthy one. It was the security delays that concerned me especially after reading all the comments from those who have had frustrating and a real buggerance factor from the jobsworths.

I'm one of these people that must get to an airport with heaps of time to spare and get into a mild panic when boarding time gets too close!

Good advice and thank you.

Paxboy, I'll lket you know.

Final 3 Greens
28th Feb 2007, 09:47
Gannet

Get there 2 hours before the flight and if you breeze through, the Terraces lounge is a pleasant place to spend some relaxing time.

PAXboy
28th Feb 2007, 13:57
We seem to be in agreement that it is too unpredictable to stick to earlier time rules. When I went through T3 in January for a quickie in New York (a quick weekend you naughty people) I did not have fast track :sad: and the security queue took 40 minutes. They did NOT ask for shoes to be removed (as they do at LGW) and I wondered if this was to keep things moving so as to compensate for them having 5 out of the 9 scanners not open. Usual story.

I agree that the rule is: If you arrive with plenty of time - you will not need the plenty of time that you have and vice versa.

If Mrs G. Fan does not like the idea of getting there earlier than needed then shopping and dining can be offered. Or perhaps she will enjoy the same past time that so many women do, which is to sit by the big windows of T4 and watch the planes take off and land. :E

GANNET FAN
28th Feb 2007, 16:16
Paxboy, you must be joking - forget the gazing at planes performing, when there's retail therapy to be done, there's no one to touch er indoors single mindedness. As for me, a very low profile.

TightSlot
28th Feb 2007, 18:07
Retail therapy? Try passing through T4 with a positioning crew of 9 off-duty stewardesses! Getting them to the gate (and out of the shops) is a process I liken to rustling Meerkats!

GANNET FAN
1st Mar 2007, 15:33
Tightslot, perfect description. I will use this desription (since er indoors loves the Beeb Sunday programme of these daft animals) next Tuesday at the start of the inevitable retail therapy bit but if I get belted for obstruction then I shall blame you.

mr.777
1st Mar 2007, 15:58
Do what I do with my other half mate...if flight's due to leave at 0900, i just tell her its going at 0800...that way we get there nice and early,she isn't too p***ed off as it means more retail therapy and I get to chill out:ok:

Impress to inflate
4th Mar 2007, 15:52
Try six hours in T4 with three young kids, facilaties are CR%P. Great for the business man/woman but not geared up for the family.

Final 3 Greens
4th Mar 2007, 18:53
Kids don't spend much money at the types of shop located in T4 - so stuff em:E

Dan Air 87
7th Mar 2007, 12:36
My experiences of late from T4 (and those of my son's partner too yesterday) is simply avoid the bloody place and use T3 or go from another airport.

I used the hell hole last month and I had to go the ticket desk (queue) to sort out a mess on my booking and then use the check in queue and was in the line for two hours. When I had the nerve to complain about the handful of check in desks that were in use, I was told that I should have checked in on-line. I am therefore reluctant to use T4 and in future am going to be flying with AF out of T2, VS out of T3 or drive over to BRS or BHX.