PDA

View Full Version : Air Passenger Duty

Danmadole
27th Feb 2007, 08:05
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if passengers are entitled to collect back the APD on flights they book but do not use? Is the policy different for each airline/country or are airlines obliged to refund in full? Obviously flights would be cancelled in advance.

Interested to know.....

Gary

Tarq57
27th Feb 2007, 08:24
If APD means airpoints dollars, (or probably even if it doesn't) it depends on the conditions of each ticket. These should be viewable on the airline's website when booking.
Often the lowest fares are not refundable if canceled, even with notice; I would assume that would apply to airpoints also.

Cyrano
27th Feb 2007, 08:35
Gary:
Some airlines will refund Air Passenger Duty for cancelled flights, since they collected it from you on behalf of the government but don't have to pass it to the government if the flight is cancelled.
Others (e.g. Ryanair) claim they will do so but apply an administration charge which is coincidentally :cool: similar to the amount of APD you'd get back.

A2QFI
27th Feb 2007, 08:55
I asked this question in another thread which I started which only drew a few replies, the gist of which were that the admin fee would equal the refund. However, I got a refund from Ryanair yesterday but the circumstances are not quite related to the question being asked.
Well in advance I bought tickets for 2 people on a Ryanair flight.
Some weeks later they altered one of the flights by more than 2 hours and offered me alternative flight times or a full refund.
I accepted the new flight times.
I then didn't wish to fly and rang to ask about refund of the taxes and charges but not the actual flight cost.
I think that because of the earlier timing change I got a full refund.