PDA

View Full Version : Rnzaf Oasb

FA-18
25th Feb 2007, 23:28
Hi guys,

I am hoping to be selected for the next RNZAF selection board. I was wondering if anyone here has been to one and could give me some information on what to expect.

Cheers
FA

wessex19
26th Feb 2007, 00:21
they don't fly F-18's.....:) good luck

OHOPE
26th Feb 2007, 04:37
No , but they probably should !

startermotor
26th Feb 2007, 10:07
I am sure your comments will help out immensely

SeeArSee
26th Feb 2007, 12:32
They don't fly much these days do they?

Aynayda Pizaqvick
26th Feb 2007, 13:16
Went to one but it was about 7 years ago so no idea what they are like now. Have a go and then apply for the RAAF or RAF, its all good practice:ok:

FA-18
26th Feb 2007, 18:39
Thanks for the "helpful" replies.

There is no strike wing, there are C-130s, P-3K Orions and Hueys.

wessex19
26th Feb 2007, 21:20
Try contacting a CO from one of the RNZAF Squadrons and ask if you could have a chat with one of their "freshest" pilots/ navigators. They would surely be more than happy to give you the heads up on what they went through.

OHOPE
27th Feb 2007, 01:26
They also fly Bell 47 , Beechs , Karman Sea Sprites , Boeing 757s and CT4s .

FA-18
27th Feb 2007, 03:30
Thats a good idea. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Samuel
27th Feb 2007, 03:35
Given some of the really informed answers here, [sic] it should be easy to explain why Ex and current RAF people are queuing up to sign on!:D Of the the original 150 selected, 71 are here, 85 are still registered, some waiting till July 2007 [when they leave the RAF presumably].
On a recent S & R for an Australian kayaker lost while trying to kayak alone [yeah, alone] across the Tasman, the Orion crewman interviewed by TV had the broadest Geordie accent imaginable!:ok:
[In fact, there are Kiwis flying F18s, and Hawks, and Typhoons, and with the Reds! Someone has to take the weight I suppose:rolleyes: ]

Not Long Here
27th Feb 2007, 05:37
FA-18,

As one of the 71 mentioned above by Samuel here are a few pointers for what it is worth.

Be yourself, be flexible and be a team player.

If you are fit and sporty - emphasise. If not, start working on it.

Have a look at:

http://www.defence.govt.nz/reports-publications/ltdp-2006/contents.html

Get up to speed on the roles of the various platforms employed by the RNZAF in conjunction with the Long Term Development Plan (and the other documents) at the link.

The guys and girls conducting the board are ordinary mortals who have generally volunteered for this role. They are not out to trap you or make life difficult so be open and honest.

Best of luck and hope the above helps.:)

anotherchopride?!
27th Feb 2007, 18:52
That would be the Kaman SH2GNZ Sea Sprites I'm guessing, which although operated by RNZAF 6 Sqn, are flown by, and effectively assets of, The RNZN.

Rumours have it there may or may not be some Aermacchis in existence too...

Advice for the board - research the NZDF as a whole, and have a very good idea (from careers packs, the website, and any career liaison officers you can find) of what your role would be individually and as a member of the Defence Force as a whole.
Having met and worked with a load of of Navy and AF guys I can say that they are all def not out to get you, they may (and should) challenge you, but being yourself is the best thing you can do.

Good luck!

Aynayda Pizaqvick
27th Feb 2007, 19:06
Apart from the tests specific to pilot aptitude, the process is almost the same as RAF selection so you can get a lot of valuable info from the RAF thread that is 'stickied' at the top of the page. Add to the RAF OASC a psych test and an interview with a psychologist and you pretty much have it. Good luck.

FA-18
27th Feb 2007, 19:33
Thanks to all of you who replied. I really appreciate the advice.

FA

Kiwiconehead
27th Feb 2007, 22:09
If you are in Auckland (or can get there) there is an open day at Whenuapai on Saturday 3rd March.

Samuel
4th Mar 2007, 08:01
And to prove it......

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n128/marcduv/?action=view&current=RNZAFHerc03-03-07.flv

Strato Q
4th Mar 2007, 18:08
Samuel,

Any chance of video of the P3K displaying, I here it is much better than the Herc?