PDA

View Full Version : R44 Operating costs down under.

masteroff
25th Feb 2007, 07:10
Hi all, I've just downloaded RHC's operating costs for the R44 Clipper II. I was wondering if this can be converted from US$ to AU$ or is the pricing structure different in Aus? Just looking to acquire a Clipper II so need to do the sums on full operating costs.
Thanks in advance.

Masteroff:confused:

helicopter-redeye
25th Feb 2007, 11:10
Best thing to do is use the format from the RHC calc then apply local pricing. Fuel is cheaper in the US than most places. Insurance varies widely so use your local providers quote for this.

Fuel consumption broadly the same everywhere ...

h-r;)

scooter boy
25th Feb 2007, 16:30
Masteroff, I have been operating a clipper II for 3 years (from new). I live in a very water-locked part of the UK and felt happier having the pop-out floats. My machine(S.N 10249) has just had its star annual at 385h TT and has had no technical issues except some unusual damage to my tail rotor which we had repaired at the factory about 18 months ago. Never found out if it was damaged during maintenance or by flicking up a stone. The attempted implementation of an SB around the same time (for fuel injected 44's) requiring reorientation of the injector system in order to avoid water ingress when the A/C is parked was a disaster and I don't know if Robinson have worked out a fix for it - the engine ran rough as hell and I had 4 weeks downtime for nothing! - so we just had the injectors replaced in the original orientation. No probs since.

Fuel consumption is a steady 60 litres per hour.
As far as fuel goes I am sure you know this already but beware of taking USG and imperial gallons as the same thing.

My biggest cost is insurance (£10000 pa in UK - Redeye pays less for a similar machine and I may take his advice and try to get my premium down this year - Thanks Redeye, how did the IR test go?)

Servicing and parts - £2000-3000 per annum.

No hangarage fees for me - machine is kept hangared at my home.

If and when I replace it it will be with another 44, great machine.

SB ;)

helicopter-redeye
25th Feb 2007, 16:41
how did the IR test go?

You're jumping the gun old boy. Course starts on 12th/ 03 (I hope I don't have to speak Danish throughout ...:eek: )

h-r;)

biggles99
25th Feb 2007, 17:39
Scooter Boy,

would you agree with my fag packet calculation?

based on your 3 and a bit year old machine, with 385 hours, doing approx 100 hours a year

£3,000 servicing
£10,000 insurance
£6,000 fuel
£9,000 depreciation

annual costs £28,000

hourly cost £280

all plus vat.

sounds about right?

if so, rental rate to a school ought to be pushing £360 wet.

regards

biggles

scooter boy
25th Feb 2007, 18:01
Biggles, that looks about right to me.
I have never rented my machine to a school (there are none within 100 miles of my base) but out of interest, how much are schools paying per hour?

Redeye, you are doing the IR course in Denmark?
Good luck and have fun getting there and back (in REDI I presume?)

SB

helicopter-redeye
25th Feb 2007, 18:43
SB, (1) Yes. (2) Nope, BA Manchester to Billund weekly (all air miles). One of the selection criteria was easy access and this is pretty easy ...

.. and no VAT on professional training

I'm not sure for how much longer RFs and FTOs will be able to hire from private owners. The insurance difference alone means you have to make a lorra lorra profit just to cover the differential in the insurance charge. This will just make flying and training even more expensive (NWSTG the additional 100LL taxes proposed by our friends in Brussels).

topendtorque
26th Feb 2007, 05:58
Master off
if you know anything about R22 costs, just x two.
tet

biggles99
27th Feb 2007, 10:43
not sure what they are paying, (don't own a R44) but i doubt whether it's £360.

and i'd agree that a 22 costs about £140 an hour wet based on 100hr a year.

Regards

biggles