PDA

View Full Version : Important Note For All Crew Flying Into NZ

koru_kid
25th Feb 2007, 02:21
Hi all,
As you may or may not be aware, Additional aviation security screening measures are being introduced by the New Zealand government from the 31st March 2007, that will restrict the quantity of Liquids, Aerosols, and Gels permitted to be carried into aircraft cabins of aircraft departing NZ on all international
flights. These measures are intended to replicate the measures imposed by the EU, and also to be aligned with similar rules to be implemented on flights to and from Australia on the same date (31 March 2007).
While this is inconvenient and possibly unnecessary, that's not the point of my post.
Currently, no exemption is being planned for tech or cabin crew.
That means
* all liquids, aerosols and gels must be in containers of 100mls or less
* must carry their 100ml containers in a re-sealable transparent plastic bag of 1 litre volume (this is a re-sealable sandwich bag like those available at your local supermarket)
*allowed to carry on one, 1 litre transparent plastic bag
* the plastic bag must be re-sealable and presented separately from all other carry-on baggage at the screening point

This presents a level of inconvenience that is unacceptable for pilots and cabin crew operating into and out of NZ, including foreign airlines, that is not justified given the infinitesimal odds of crew plotting or participating in a terrorist attack. Female crew will be even more inconvenienced than us males.

RIGHT NOW THE POLICY IS BEING FINALISED AND CONSIDERATION IS BEING GIVEN TO AN EXEMPTION FOR CREW.

We need to make it clear to the NZ Govt that they need to exempt working crew from these security measures.
If you're crew operating into or out of NZ, no matter what airline, please express your thoughts via email to Hon Harry Duynhoven, Minister for Transport Safety at [email protected].
([email protected])

Probably a good idea to make your emails reasoned, well-thought out, and free of abuse/political opinions.
Thanks to all of you who do.

TightSlot
25th Feb 2007, 06:23
Many, if not all, of these measures are already a de-facto way of life for many of the crew reading these boards. Can you explain why NZ circumstances are different? I hold no brief for those who have decided to implement these measures, and regard them as probably being of very limited benefit - I'm just hoping that you can make a case for why NZ (I'm presently in AKL) is different?

koru_kid
25th Feb 2007, 07:11
Hi TightSlot,

I'm not saying NZ based and crew operating into NZ are special, but I don't see why we should meekly accept the inconveniences that have been imposed on crew from certain other nations, particularly when a lot of other countries with higher security risks offer a waiver to operating crew.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my initial post that a waiver for operating crew has been proposed and is currently being considered by the NZ Govt. So we have a real chance to make a difference and ensure that these measures don't cause the inconvenience to our crew that they will to our passengers.

Cheers.

yachtno1
25th Feb 2007, 07:53
Best of luck koru! ;)

sebby
25th Feb 2007, 07:57
I feel that if it is introduced that NZ operating crew are to reveal the contents of their toiletries bags that we have a separate line. I certainly dont wish to be subjected to having my personal items searched in amongst the general public.

Are you currently subjected to this Tightslot?

TightSlot
25th Feb 2007, 18:50
Well, yes, I am.

koru_kid - not my intention to "attack" your post - please accept my apologies if it appered that I was. If you can get your exemption, good luck. In my experience, Air NZ crews operate to very high standards, and they are one of the very few companies that I would kill to work for. I believe, however, that you're going to have an uphill struggle to block what is standard for most of the rest of the world - however, as you rightly say, that doesn't make it wrong to try.

Tomorrow, my colleagues are forcing me up the AKL skytower - I'll be the one holding the coats and standing away from the windows!:uhoh:

sebby
25th Feb 2007, 21:44
I'll stand on my balcony waving a red flag...