PDA

View Full Version : Weird printer problem!!!!!!

frazhm
24th Feb 2007, 17:03
I have a HP5550 Deskjet, and since changing computers it has gone barmy!!
Whenever I attempt to print it pushes out a blank page. I have checked all the connections, it is connected via USB. When I request a test page it prints out a beautiful test page exactly as it should. I haver requested printing from a variety of programmes - just a blank page and no error messages!
I have been onto HP.com and loaded the latest drivers followed the installation meticulously- still blank page. I have yet to try the printer with an old parallel cable, I would be sorry to lose the USB connectivity.

With this problem, there is nothing remotely helpful on HP.com - ironically when I go onto the internet for suggestions there are loads of reviews telling what a good printer it was in the first place!!!

I am reluctant to replace it as it has been very good in the past.

So guys and gals what do you think?

Please remember I am a non-geek - keep it simple!!!

BOAC
24th Feb 2007, 18:34
AFAIK the test page is 'internal' so I guess it is not getting anything down the usb line?

You have got it set as the default printer? (Guessing at Windows - you have not said!!!???)

Try uninstalling it, disconnect it, reboot and let the computer find it again.

Loose rivets
24th Feb 2007, 18:55
Since it spits out a blank page, there is connectivity.

Make sure that all buffers are empty before any further testing.

Does the page just throw out, or does it take time like a printed page?

Have you got a pal that will let you test it on another computer?

Are you limiting the print to one page? If so, stop doing this and see if there is print on a subsequent page.

Can you print to another device...even to disc, to test the functionality of the driver? (I haven't printed to disc for about 20 years! )

Intriguing problem, keep us informed.

eticket
24th Feb 2007, 20:35
It appears that you are most definitely not alone.

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/24623

a possible solution from a member called longstride is quoted below:

Looks like I found the problem: The 5550's driver software (version 7.1) is apparently not compatible with XP SP2's "Data Execution Prevention" feature.

Go to My Computer, right click & select Properties. Choose the Advanced panel. Click the first Settings button, in the Performance Section. Choose the Data Execution Prevention panel. Choose the first radio button, "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only", not the second one "Turn on DEP for all ...."

The first radio button (essential programs only) was what was selected when I got the machine, but I myself had upped the setting to the more restrictive level.

frazhm
24th Feb 2007, 21:42
Well I will go to the foot of our stairs --- It worked!!!!!!!
I went to "My Computer....etc....
and it printed !!!!!!

So a huge thanks to all that showed interest - especially to "e ticket"
3.5 hours from setting a problem to a solution - this forum has got to be the best IT Department on the planet - and it is free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done everyone

Many thanks
Frazhm

I am now in grin mode!!!