PDA

View Full Version : Converging runways - One for ATC

Tigger4Me
24th Feb 2007, 08:25
Background is SLF with a keen interest in all things travel wise but particularly the whole airline/flying thing. Currently working with a major travel company and waiting for my next posting for the summer season. Last season was spent at Málaga airport where, as regular visitors will know, there is a lot of construction work to extend the airport to add a third terminal and a second runway. This second runway will run adjacent to the existing runway but not parallel. I have checked the net and I’ve not been able to establish the actual headings of the two runways. From memory, looking at the model displayed at the airport, I would think the difference in heading is about 40º with the current runway being 13/31 and the proposed second runway being approximately 09/27.

My question relates to control of departures on the two runways. The prevailing weather means that normal departures are from 13 but sometimes are from 31. I imagine that when the second runway is operational, one will be used for departures and the other for arrivals. In that situation, and when departures head towards the converging end of the runways, I can see that there is the possibility for conflict if a departing aircraft meets one executing a go-round.

So in these circumstances, how are departures and arrivals controlled to avoid conflict? I imagine it is the job of ATC but presumably with different controllers handling departures and arrivals this could be difficult, so how is this coordinated please? I appreciate the chances of this sequence of events is pretty remote but surely the possibility must be accounted for.

Avman
24th Feb 2007, 08:33
Probably a staggered procedure. Departure a/c lined up but not cleared for t/o until the arrival (on the other runway) has positively landed. Although not as efficient as totally independent runway ops, this procedure would still allow for significantly increased overall runway capacity.