PDA

View Full Version : Earplanes

UniFoxOs
24th Feb 2007, 00:30
Caught a bit of a cold from the pax in the next seat going to Alice Springs. Didn't think much of it at the time but on the return leg I couldn't equalise my ear pressure in one ear when we descended and spent a very uncomfortable afternoon and evening with limited hearing, buzzing and a feeling of pressure in that ear.

When I landing at MEL I went to the gents, lo and behold there right in front of my eyes at the urinal was an advert for "Earplanes". Looked them up on the web and the makers say they alleviate this sort of problem, that airline crew use them, that they are the best thing since sliced bread, etc., etc.

As I have to return to BHX (two sectors) in a couple of days I was wondering whether to get some, just in case I haven't got rid of the cold by then. Anybody got any experience of using these? (Or anything else in that line).

Cheers
UFO

Regular Cappuccino
24th Feb 2007, 20:13
My wife also has difficulty 'unblocking' her ears when we fly, so I bought her a set. She said they worked reasonably well, and made the trip more comfortable than it would otherwise have been.
Worth a shot.
RC

TightSlot
25th Feb 2007, 06:41
If you absolutely have to fly (and the best advice remains - don't) with a cold, then I have had success with Sudafed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudafed)

PAXboy
25th Feb 2007, 13:28
Agreed - try and drain the sinuses. It might mean that you have to keep mopping your nose but it will allow pressure to balance more easily. Have never tried earplanes.

UniFoxOs
26th Feb 2007, 01:48
Thanks for the input, guys. Felt a lot worse this am, went to see doc, have middle ear infection, upper respiratory tract infection, flying definitely out of the question for at least a week, looks like I get an extra weeks hols in MEL. Any answers on what to do with a week in the outer southern suburbs of Melbourne when you are feeling a bit rough??

Cheers
UFO

N1 Vibes
24th Mar 2007, 11:33
Know you've gone now. But, should have taken an all-day winery tour. You won't have cared about the illness with a gallon of old Wagga Wagga inside! :yuk:

UniFoxOs
27th Mar 2007, 14:53
Thanks, N1V, I wasn't able to go anywhere for a while - came over really rough, had to console myself with Cockatoo Ridge. Was 9 days late leaving Mel, when I got back to the UK I get an email from the hotel at Yulara saying they have found Legionella in the water...

Cheers
UFO