PDA

View Full Version : Depression Question?

u7d27
23rd Feb 2007, 20:14
To cut a long story short I have just finished my PPL and was considering going all the way for my ATPL. All my instructors have been very impressed with my ability and think I could easily go all the way.

I have a perfect medical record however, a few months ago I felt very tired for a period of a month, my doctor said it may be a mild depression and prescribed my a type of prosac.

I did not agree with his conclusion but did take the prescription for a month and then stopped it as I was no longer felt tired but also did not believe this was the cause of my tiredness.

Does this mean now I will never be able to gain a Class 1 medical?

What really annoys me is my doctor knew I was about to start pilot training before he prescribed it but did not realise it would effect my medical, he also says he can not change what he has already recorded in my medical records. Im guessing Im screwed now whatever, am I right or will I be able to pass a class 1 medical in the future?

docash1983
24th Feb 2007, 19:06
I certainly hope not. Depression is something which affects us all at times. The same thing happend to me in 2001 when one of my grandparents died, prescribed prozac but stopped after one week, as I personally dont think they work and it is easy to become dependent upon them. I would be very upset if it barred me from the profession.

u7d27
10th Jun 2007, 12:34
Well, if anyone is interested I can now answer my own question that I placed above.

I must admit there seems to be a lot of misinformation and needless worrying about the Class 1 medical amongst fellow students that Ive met, and on PPruNe.

I was reliably informed by fellow students that because I had depression on my medical records it was very unlikey that I would ever be given a Class 1 medical and from reading some posts on PPruNe they seemed to concur.

Anyway I spoke to the medical staff at Gatwick who couldnt have been more helpful. I got a letter explaining the situation that had previously happened in my life from my doctor for the staff at Gatwick. A week later I went for the medical and got it. When I was actually talking to one of the doctors, he, like the nurses genuinely want people to get the Class 1 Medical and as long as you give them the relevant information regarding any previous problems you are more than likely going to get it. He himself said there seems to be a lot of needless worrying and misinformation held by people wanting to gain a Class 1 medical.

I think in summary people (including myself) get far to worried about the Class 1 medical. If your generally fit and healthy you will get it, and every person who may have a problem is specific to them so probably can't be accurately discussed with anyone except the staff at Gatwick. If you have any worries just call the staff at Gatwick and it will put your mind at rest.

I really wish I had done that in the first place :ok: