PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Tells Some Users No on Vista

seacue
23rd Feb 2007, 15:05
Adapted from a news story

Microsoft is making it hard for Mac owners and other potentially influential customers to adopt Vista. Microsoft says the blockade is necessary for security reasons.

The situation involves a technology known as virtualization. Essentially, it lets one computer mimic multiple machines, even ones with different operating systems. It does this by running multiple applications at the same time, but in separate realms of the computer. Now that Macintosh computers from Apple Inc. use Intel Corp. chips, just like Windows-based PCs, virtualization programs let Mac users easily switch back and forth between Apple's Mac OS X operating system and Windows.

Unlike Apple's free Boot Camp program that lets Windows run on a Mac, Parallels' virtualization product for Macs does not limit users to just one operating system running at a time. Parallels runs Windows in a window on the Mac desktop. Parallels also sells a version for Windows PCs _ which would let people run both Vista and its predecessor, Windows XP, simultaneously so they can keep programs that aren't yet Vista-compatible.

The price of the virtualization software does not include a copy of Windows. And to get that copy, buyers have to agree to Vista's licensing rules _ a legally binding document. Lurking in that 14-page agreement is a ban on using the least expensive versions of Vista _ the $199 Home Basic edition and the $239 Home Premium edition _ in virtualization engines. Instead, people wanting to put Vista in a virtualized program have to buy the $299 Business version or the $399 Ultimate package.

planecrazy.eu
23rd Feb 2007, 22:03
To be honest Apple are just bugging me... They should have released MAC OSX for Windows User / X86 / i386 or whatever you class the standard desktop/laptop pc a...

Windows have allowed there software to be run on MAC's, why not the other way around... I am put of buying a MAC because of there stupidly high prices, yeah they look good, but not £500 or so better. I got a laptop, with a high spec that the IBOOK Pro for half the price... But i would have loved a copy of MAC as it runs some of the software i use so much more efficient...

I would have thought it would have been the ideal time to have a copy of OSX for standard pcs with the release of Vista, but obviously not... And as for Vista, its not as bad as many have made it out to be, my only problem is it seems gloomy...

Its crazy how vista needs to be a higher version to run on a virtual pc though, its stupid, does it say that vista can recognise if its been installed on vm?

blackace
24th Feb 2007, 00:59
Its crazy how vista needs to be a higher version to run on a virtual pc though, its stupid, does it say that vista can recognise if its been installed on vm?

Nope. I have vmware and it runs fine under vista simpleton package. Even with no vmware XP boot, Vista boot, Linux boot no problems.

You can boot to any operating system virtual or not. I don't understand your problem. Maybe its Apple based.