PDA

View Full Version : what experience does an airline prefer?

Captain N
23rd Feb 2007, 12:34
ok my situation: half way through my taining and just thinking ahead to where I want to work and where I want to be in a few years time.

Once I finish my training I'm hoping to work for hopefully Ryanair(i'm mad I know so lets not go there! I have my reasons) and once I have my 2000 or more hours after 2-3years I want to work for one of three airlines who's fleet is mostly Airbus.

would I be better off aiming at an airline which will put me on an A320 instead? or are airlines not bothered as long as you got Jet time?

Appreciate the advice

Artificial Horizon
23rd Feb 2007, 12:41
In my experience when an airline is recruiting it is generally in the following order.

1 - Type rated and current on airlines type.
2 - Type rated at some point on airlines type.
3 - Any jet experience
4 - Any multipilot experience.

Out of interest, why exactly are you limiting yourself to airlines that fly the airbus??

Captain N
23rd Feb 2007, 12:45
I want to move to the middle east region, and they seem to like Airbus more, I know they have 777's as well but u look at the fleet for Gulf air or Kuwait air, Etihad its Mostly Airbus!

BitMoreRightRudder
23rd Feb 2007, 12:54
I'd aim at any airline that will give you a job mate. I'd worry about what a/c type it happens to be at a later date. And by the way, notwithstanding the foot rests and tray-table, I found the 737 a lot more fun to fly than the A319!

PaulW
23rd Feb 2007, 12:59
It is a lovely thought to try and get the experience that ideally your dream airline looks for, but unfortunately the reality is, they dont care, your just a number, just go out and get any multicrew job you can get and then start making choices as to where you want to go. You will find it hard enough to get any first job let alone one with an airline who flies airbuses. If your willing to pay for a rating go to Ryan Air or any company linked to the TRTO you are doing your rating with and you will build up experience rapidly. Since you seem to be prepared to pay for a rating, maybe even do some research by calling a few TRTOs to find out which rating they would recommend.. Airbus is the popular rating of the moment. Once you have 500 hours on your belt then look to the airlines who you really want to fly for.. But frankly take any flying job you can get get the hours and then go from there dont sit a home for a year dreaming of a jet job and getting nowhere. Multicrew hours are key.

Captain N
23rd Feb 2007, 13:23
oh I totally agree when i've got only over 200hours I'll take ANY job, but my first choice at the moment is Ryanair for many reasons, if that or any other jet job doesnt workout i'll apply for prop jobs, I got a contact in a prop operator who I will fall back to if no jet job comes along.

I rather pay for my type rating and not be in a bond, at the end u'll pay for it anyway either upfront or through your wages!

WestCoast
24th Feb 2007, 01:05
Hi there, I'm currently flying in Northern Canada on a light twin, I am 26 years old and have 1500TT, and we fly 2-crew due to customer contract requirements and insurance policies. I hold both Canadian and British Passports and am looking at moving over to the UK and continuing my flying career there. I understand that I have to complete the entire JAA Frozen ATPL studies and everything that comes along with that. I have a 4 year University Degree in Business Administration as well. My question is this....... How marketable would I be over in that market once I have completed the licence conversion? I understand some differences between the industry here in Canada and over there, like putting low time guys on medium turbo-props, and some even landing Jet Jobs from reading the posts on here. That is basically unheard of in Canada. If you want to get on to a dash-8 or 737 in Canada you're looking at 4000 plus hours, mostly PIC on turbine equipment. Is a 4 year University degree a big deal at all over there? I know down in the States it is. Thanks to anyone who replies and if you have any advice on which flight training unit to complete the conversion at I'd be happy to hear it. Cheers!

BitMoreRightRudder
24th Feb 2007, 09:07
WestCoast

Your degree won't make much difference I'm afraid. If you were applying for one of the mentored schemes that look to place their graduates into jets or props then a degree might be of some benefit, but such schemes are aimed at applicants with little or no flying experience. 1500h TT with time on light twins flown as multi-crew may well be useful, but I'm presuming it is on a non-multi pilot aircraft so I don't know how a UK operator would view those hours - bear in mind I don't work in pilot recruitment, I'm just a line pilot.

That said if you were to move to the UK with 1500h your chances of landing a job on a prop/jet are at least improved; as you say it seems in Canada you require quite a lot more experience to even hope to get in the RHS of a 737 etc. To draw a parallel with the UK, by the time I have the 4000h TT you mention to get your first sniff in Canada or the US I would expect to have my first jet command in the company I currently work for. I find it strange the UK differs so much compared to most other parts of the world on this subject.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do:ok:

Wellington Bomber
24th Feb 2007, 09:15
Captain N

Give yourself a big slap in the face and wake up to reality!!

Why Ryanair who only fly Boeings and then you want an airbus job? that makes no sense whatsoever. And then you imply that only if I do not get a jet job I may take a Turboprop job. Listen my old mucker from what I have heard from you no outfit would touch you with a barge pole. I know of plenty of people fully qualified who cannot get any job who would jump at any chance they got, take heed

tom775257
24th Feb 2007, 15:16
Hi WestCoast,

Once you have your fATPL don't just limit yourself to applying to UK airlines either, look throughout Europe. The wonders of having a JAA licence and EU citizenship!

Regarding the degree, I think of the people who joined the airline at the same time as me, the majority do not have a degree.

Cheers.

Craggenmore
2nd Mar 2007, 18:33
what experience does an airline prefer?Lots if it can get it.

Out of interest, why exactly are you limiting yourself to airlines that fly the airbus??Because its the best short haul aircraft and leaves you far less knackered after a 4 sector day than any short haul Boeing.

I found the 737 a lot more fun to fly than the A319!BMRR are you dual rated now? If so how can you say that. Not done open descent at 200kts, then speedbrakes out and go selected speed and wind it up to 330 knots amongst other things? Mind you Ive only simmed in the Boeing and it was far too much like hard work. PS most Skippers I fly with all prefer the Airbus in general but prefer the Boeing in X-wind conditions only...

BitMoreRightRudder
2nd Mar 2007, 19:22
Hello there Mr Craggenmore

Yeah I moved onto the bus at the end of last year. Don't get me wrong on the whole I think it's a great machine and it certainly is less knackering doing four sectors in the bus over the boeing. I just miss the feeling of satisfaction of hand flying the boeing, all this auto-thrust malarky is turning me into a lazy bugg*r! And I concur, give me a 737 in a gusty crosswind anyday.

However - tray table, acars, foot rests, reclining electric seats, headsets off in the cruise, a quieter flightdeck, secondary flightplan....vive le bus!:D

Hope you're enjoying it:ok:

allatp
2nd Mar 2007, 21:56
Hello there guys!!!
I would like to know. Since I have no jet experience, but I currently fly a Dash 8 as Captain and hold 900 hours PIC on type. And my TT is 6,000 hours, could I ever apply for a F/O job flying a jet? Or jet time is a must to have? My dream is to get my hands on some heavy iron some day!!!
Thanks for the insights!!!!!!

AllAtp

BitMoreRightRudder
3rd Mar 2007, 18:02
allatp

You need to try the Terms and Endearment forum. Also be more specific. Do you mean a jet job in Colombia? South America in general? Europe? It is possible in Europe, but obviously with the appropriate licence and the right to live and work in the EU.

All the best.

allatp
21st Mar 2007, 03:37
BitMore...... Thanks!
I'm actually thinking in the Middle East and Asia.
I know that, in Japan for example, they would give you the work permit through the airline that hires you.

AA