PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle or Edinburgh Jobs?

Martin4
22nd Feb 2007, 14:05
Looking for a job in this area at either Newcastle or Edinburgh airport is possible.

I have no idea where to look (largely due to the fact I don't know many companies or websites to check!)

I have had a look on both airport websites but there is very little information so I'm guessing the jobs will be on the actual company website.

Any places to look, websites etc would be greatly appriciated!
Any job on the ground would be great weather it be baggage or fuel etc.

Martin

Lite
22nd Feb 2007, 17:50
The best thing to do would be to check the website of NCL, EDI and the handling agents which are present at those airports (Servisair/Swissport UK for NCL and Servisair/Aviance/Menzies for EDI) to see what vacancies are available. Now is really peak recruiting time for the airport, as the summer season fully gets under way in about 6 weeks.

Hufty
22nd Feb 2007, 18:43
Try the airlines too - there might be some entry - level jobs in dispatch going if you ask around, unless they have outsourced it. Airlines that serve EDI are Flybe, BMI Regional, Globespan, Easyjet, Loganair amongst others...

Not sure about NCL, but the same strategy would apply...

Good luck!

Martin4
22nd Feb 2007, 20:15
Thanks for the reply guys, appreciated!

Ill check the handling agents websites out :ok:

As for the airlines, Iv been on a few, Jet2 have a "job database" with jobs in the area of what I'm looking for, but the others don't seem to have that...
Take EZY for example, there's only info about flight and cabin crew.... Any ideas where to look for airlines and the likes with websites like that?

Hufty
23rd Feb 2007, 07:48
Not sure - I would try just calling the airlines direct - maybe the ground sevices manager, airport manager for that particular airline?? Anybody else know who it is who would make a recruitment decision about an airline's ground staff??

Marra123
24th Feb 2007, 15:27
If your looking for ground work at NCL for EZY then its all through Servisair. With Jet2 it will be Swissport, you wont just work for these airlines though you will work for what airlines they handle. You could try Excel airways/Thomsonfly/Mytravel/Thomas Cook see if they have any any jobs going but they normally require you to have airport environment work experience first though.

Martin4
24th Feb 2007, 18:33
The million pound question,
Would they recruit/hire me?

1) Age 17
2) No qualifications
3) No experience

???

LOUIS LANE
24th Feb 2007, 19:12
hi Martin4,

You have to be 18 years old to get a full id pass in the aviation industry.

At Manchester and East Midlands you have to be 18 so i am sure the BAA would be the same.

Oh i would not worry about qualifications, i did not have much when i started in the inustry 13 years ago. I have been CSA, Loadcontoller, Supervisor and Duty manager.

Still in the industry now.

Good Luck.....

Martin4
24th Feb 2007, 19:33
Ok great, not a problem, I turn 18 in a few months which is when my current job contract finishes.

Thanks for the info :)

finding_nema
24th Feb 2007, 20:13
I'm in a similar situation with age Martin, in so much as I'm 17, but turn 18 in April, which is during the training courses for the handling agents that I've applied to. So far, it hasn't posed too much of a problem, as I'd be 18 by the time the job has started, but I've heard of handling agents hiring people who would be turning 18 within a few weeks of the job starting. The issue as Louis has said, is not only getting the airside security clearance, but also there are legal restrictions which prevent a company from working you 24/7, I believe they can only work people aged 16/17 between 05:00 and 23:00.

It's probably worth trying your luck anyway, because some companies more than others are desperately under-staffed in the summer. I'm lucky to have quite a few GCSEs and A-Levels under my belt, but at both interviews for handling agents, whilst these were viewed impressively, they said they were more interested in personalities than grades, as they're looking for people who can do the job well.

Martin4
25th Feb 2007, 12:22
Great, sounds promising.
Thanks

Maude Charlee
3rd Mar 2007, 10:03
Newcastle always used to have a link to airport jobs advertised on the airport website - it's where I found my first airport position. All baggage handling and ramp work etc is done by the two handling companies as already advised. The airport also have their own people employed in various roles airside, but these jobs are few and far between and often stitched up well in advance by the airport themselves.

Servisair have recently been cutting staff numbers at NCL due to the huge numbers of contracts lost by their stupendously incompetent management team, so I don't know how much recruitment they will be doing this year.

However, now is definitely the time to apply, and the process is pretty quick and painless. Your willingness to work the hours for the money on offer is far more important than your qualifications or experience, and for the rampies, the training is actually quite good. It's hard work, but the ramp teams are a good bunch of lads in both comapnies, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it if you get in.

Whatever you do, don't accept a job on check-in or passenger handling duties. You'll be looking to cut your wrists before Easter! :}

Robert William
3rd Mar 2007, 15:35
there dont seem to be much going at all according to the website but here is the link for it http://www.newcastleairport.com/Corporate/Recruitment.htm hope that is some help

cheesypeas
4th Mar 2007, 14:11
I saw in the local press that BMI are advertising for customer services staff at EDI....

skylite
7th Mar 2007, 14:08
BMI are after part time staff at GLA. Full and part time staff at EDI.