PDA

View Full Version : dispatch?

togs737
22nd Feb 2007, 06:01
Hello,

What does dispatch do? When? etc. Could someone please give me a flow on how everything works, e.g. from the time the flight crew walk into the company building to when they land - what does the dispatcher co-ordinate with them inflight/on the ground.

Also, I am part of a virtual airline that is trying to become the most realistic around. Thats right! There is such thing as a 'virtual airline' if you haven't heard about it already. This one, and many others utilise PC flight simulators combined with an online ATC network to provide realism...we are trying to take that next step, hence why I asked the dispatch question.

I might be pushing my luck here, but if you are a real dispatcher, or know alot about dispatch and have an interest in this virtual airline 'stuff', please help! I would encourage anyone as our operations will be very similar to real world and to have a real world member in our virtual organisation would be a plus!!!!

We operate in Australia.

Thanks very much for reading, and any help in advance.
If you are interested in the virtual airline position please give me a pm (theres not much work in this VA as everything is structured as in real life, so you ONLY do a dispatch job, not admin and everything else under the sun).

Cheers,
Togs:ok:

Fernando_Covas
22nd Feb 2007, 09:02
Basic details of a UK dispatcher. (working for Servisair)

Provide weather briefs
Maybe some ETOPS plotting
Maybe some load planning
Maybe some load control
Supervise the loading
Supervise the boarding
AAA checks
Passing the paperwork to the crew
Waving ta ta.

filotnie
22nd Feb 2007, 13:51
Generally it depends. From airline to airline.. and FAA and JARops rules requirements.. but big airlines where the number of operations is exceeding few hundred a day.. Dispatch Office is preparing a flight in advance of ca. 4 -6 hours to ETD (sometimes before even crew will wake up and prepare their makeup) and Dispatcher is (under FAA 50%) partly responsible for the flight in explicite:
prepares the route, flight plan calcullations and optimalization, includes OTS, ETOPS calcs, Alternates suitability and availibility, Preplaning fuel, cost optimalization, NOTAM checks, Weather influence check, send ATC FPL, coordinate slot (eurocontrol ifps and cfmu communication) preparing briefing package with OFP for the crew. Most likely this dispatch office has nothing to do with load.. it is rather coordinated with LoadMaster and station officer or management. Those information are delivered to the cockpit and often sent to Dispatch Office via SITA or AFTN.. sometimes WAB and fuel recalculations are needed but it is triggered by planned and actual load difference.

shortly what for? it is simple.. for big business earnings.. savings.. call it how you like. But cockpit crew work and paper work can be reduced this way significantly..

I would like to say hello to all PPRUNE users as long as it is my first post.
greetings for all

fil..