PDA

View Full Version : Problems with dial-up

Cornish Jack
21st Feb 2007, 16:39
More help needed:ugh:
One problem, many scenarios. I'm trying to set up a PAYG dial-up connection on a neighbour's machine - Sony Vaio Win ME internal modem - Used the Orange CD and got a working set-up, home page, e-mail in and out, etc., fine.
Two days later got a panic call, not working. Tried to log on myself - no joy - machine keeps cancelling and redialling every couple of seconds. Tried re-installing but same result. Tried to use the same CD on two different XP machines - again no log-on, reports 'no dialling tone'. Tried a different ISP, Tiscali, same again. Finally, in desperation tried to re-initiate my AOL connection but as dial-up and, again, no joy, 'no dialling tone'. My poor old befuddled brain recalls something similar from many years ago when I initially set up dial-up with AOL but I can't remember how it was resolved. Would greatly appreciate any helpful suggestions. :ugh:
TIA

BOAC
21st Feb 2007, 16:54
1) Check the 'properties' of the set-up via 'Connect to' on Start panel: ensure modem correctly selected
2) Test the modem (via Control Panel)
3) Try 'dialer.exe. to dial out

If no joy, either the phone connection or modem is broke?

Gertrude the Wombat
21st Feb 2007, 19:26
Used the Orange CD
That was the mistake.

Rule number zero: NEVER LET AN ISP'S CD ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR MACHINE. Set it up manually. Then you have the remotest clue what is going on, and have some chance of diagnosing and fixing it when it goes wrong.

Cornish Jack
22nd Feb 2007, 10:12
Thanks BOAC, got it in the last alternative:\
The input cable from the phone line to the 'pooter' was dead:( . However, I had used two other cables, so, presumably, they must have been u/s also:{ Am inputting this from a Tiscali dial-up connection, newly made; still can't make a connection with Orange and I suspect that they are having problems as my partner's dial-up with them is also not responding.
GTW, thanks also; I appreciate that allowing the ISPs to shovel their software onto one's machine is to be avoided if possible, but, for we simpletons, working from their CDs is NORMALLY the most straightforward option. I like the idea of D-I-Y signing up ... is there a muppet's guide to the procedure somewhere?
Now to finding a RELIABLE, EFFICIENT, UK based tech support ISP for broadband:confused: if such a thing exists:mad: This is for me. of course. The problem with the neighbour's machine remains unsolved for the moment.:ugh:

Gertrude the Wombat
22nd Feb 2007, 13:57
I like the idea of D-I-Y signing up ... is there a muppet's guide to the procedure somewhere?
Someone somewhere will have put up a web page doing just that for almost every ISP, you've just got to search around until you find it. (Which means you need some sort of internet connection to start with of course ...)