PDA

View Full Version : Flybe/BMI/Palmair hopeful – am I too old and plump?

susysu
21st Feb 2007, 14:01
hi all

just what it says on the can really.

I’m am a young looking (honestly) 39 and a size 14/16. The weight I can do something about but the age I can’t. It’s always been my dream to become cabin crew and my circumstances are such now that I can go for it, but I have this terrible fear that it might be too late for me

just wondered if anyone could give me any words of wisdom, share experiences etc. would like to know from those that have had interviews with any airlines whether there were any oldies there and how they got on, and from those of you working as cabin crew if there are any new oldies starting

thank you very very much,

tiggerific_69
21st Feb 2007, 14:23
size 14/16 and 39!!!!!!! i'd like to hope they didnt discriminate against you for both of those things.i am a 14/16,and if people dont like hips & boobs then thats their loss!

malvin
21st Feb 2007, 14:35
I can't comment on the size, but on age I can.

I attended a cabin crew course last year, and there was a guy who was 40ish, he is now working as a cabin crew for easyjet.

FLYING GER
21st Feb 2007, 14:42
Hi there,

Well i am 30 and have an interview with VS so no your not too old to start!:)

I noticed your are a Palmair hopeful? I used to work at Bath Travel who own Palmair but when i enquired about being cabin crew on board (that was when they used the Whisperjet 146 - such a nice plane) they actually recruit from an agency and not in house.Sorry cant remember the name.

Anyway good luck !:ok:

chipmunkj
21st Feb 2007, 15:38
I have flown with BA/BOAC for well over 30 years.
BA now has many crew who are in their early 50's when they start flying and many femail new entrants are in size 16/18 uniforms---so dont worry!!
Most of the older new crew i fly with, are having a great time and love flying.
Go for it and dont worry, you have many other skills to offer, which are far more important than age or size!

SouBE
21st Feb 2007, 18:22
Although Im male, Im 37 and just applied to flyBe - it's my first CC role and I got the job; only two out of 16 of us got a job offer. The rest of the people at my assesment day were in their late teens and early 20's (with one or two in their late 20's). They certainly didn't discriminate on the age of grounds (and I have to say Im a 36" waist so no stick insect myself!)

From my experience, flyBe recruit purely on merit, personality and character. If thats what you have to give, then go for it and be proud about it! Forget age and size, its whats inside that counts.

Good luck!

bcf&gloves
21st Feb 2007, 18:27
Hey age is not a problem, I'm 34 and will be joining Virgin on the 26th March. Only started flying when I was 30 so go for it and "Good Luck!"

skylite
21st Feb 2007, 20:02
You prob have more life experience than what younger people have which is a big bonus. On the Palmair note I think its European Aviation who you will have to apply through as its them who operate the aircraft. I may be wrong though.

susysu
22nd Feb 2007, 08:36
thank you all for your helpful and positive comments, I really appreciate it. I will just have to wait now for some vacancies to come up that I can apply for

thanks again

sue

FLYING GER
22nd Feb 2007, 08:52
What about trying for Virgin?They are heavily recruiting just now.

I applied online a few weeks ago and heard the following day that i had been invited for a interview?

This will be my first interview!

Good luck!

tongue n'groove
22nd Feb 2007, 08:52
I know that both Palmair at Bournemouth and BA Connect at Southampton were recruiting recently. Might be worth your while giving them a call.

Good luck
TnG

tiggerific_69
22nd Feb 2007, 09:47
BA Connect closed their base at Southampton months ago,so theyre not recruiting, and will soon be Flybe anyway so maybe give Flybe a call instead.

tooposh62
22nd Feb 2007, 16:13
I can say i am a plus size female that works for Ba your size is not that big as i am a UK 20 and have no problems fitting into my seat or walking down the aisle and might i say this is my second airline.

and loads of airline take older ladies and i would not say that you are that old, just go for it what have you got to loose unless you try you will never know. good luck :ok:

Cyprus countrybred
22nd Feb 2007, 17:41
If all else fails try Omni. All types!