PDA

View Full Version : Air Force Air Stewards

highlifeboy
21st Feb 2007, 13:21
Information sought please......

I have been Cabin Crew for for various Commercial Airlines for 10 years now and fancy something completely different,

Having browsed the RAF website I have noticed that they are recruiting Air Stewards/Stewards. I have called the recruitment line and they are sending me the relevant forms to fill out in relation to this position.

Can anyone tell me any more information on this role??

Are you based anywhere in particular IE Brize Norton? Do you have to live on site? What kind of Interviews/tests do u have to Complete etc etc

Any info would be really great, I see they fly the TriStar, I use to work on the Tristar for 5 years so thats a start lol

Kind Regards

HLB

I've_got a traveller
21st Feb 2007, 13:30
Highlifeboy,

Apply for WSOp if you want something completely different. If you just do air steward you may end up cleaning plates in a mess for a few years before you go to Brize. As a WSOp you'll become a Sgt after about 12 weeks and get the chance to go on lots of different platforms.

But, if I was you I would stay with the airlines as you don't get to sit in the desert, get shot at and the women on airlines are a lot lot lot lot better looking:O .

highlifeboy
21st Feb 2007, 13:32
Many Thanks for your info..... Whats a WSOp sorry you can tell im from Commercial Aviation lol

airborne_artist
21st Feb 2007, 13:37
WSOp training (http://www.ukmfts.gov.uk/pages/current/aircrew_training/airman.shtml) info

I've_got a traveller
21st Feb 2007, 13:38
http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/aircrew.cfm

Have a look at that mate, it will explain it far better than I could. I've been a WSOP (ew) mate for many years and it can be very rewarding. I'm sure you'll find it more interesting than air steward, there is a bit more to it. They are crying out for WSops at the moment.

I've_got a traveller
21st Feb 2007, 13:41
Samuraimatt,

If that was the case he would fit in very well on E3's, they all tend to be a bit light on there loafers.:ok:

highlifeboy
21st Feb 2007, 13:41
This is very true lol :)

Jackonicko
21st Feb 2007, 13:42
There would be flying positions at Brize Norton and a few at Northolt, though air stewards can serve anywhere that the RAF does, since they "Run dining rooms, bars in Officers' and Sergeants' Messes" as well as being responsible for in-flight meals and safety. You'd have no choice as to where you'd be stationed, and no guarantee of getting a flying post - but you might be able to express a preference, and your prior experience might give you a better chance of getting the job you want.

You'd be expected to 'live in' during training (I guess you'd be doing a short 'square-bashing' course at Halton, before trade training, also at Halton).

You'd then be free to 'live out' once trained, I suspect.

The RAF Careers website says:

"Stewards run dining rooms and bars in Officers’ and Sergeants’ Messes. Trained in silver service, you’ll serve food and drinks to hotel and club standards, making sure that your customers have everything they need. As an RAF Steward you’ll cover a far larger field of professional experience than your civilian counterparts could ever hope for: running dining rooms, bars and reception offices in Officers’ and Sergeants’ Messes, working in field dining rooms and accommodation.
Training
If you lack qualifications you can join as an unqualified Steward and be trained at the RAF’s Catering Training Squadron. If you join with qualifications, you’ll start your professional work significantly higher in the RAF’s rank and pay structure.'

But if you want something different, why not consider Air Loadmaster?

I've_got a traveller
21st Feb 2007, 13:43
Yes but they call them fighter controllers

Jackonicko
21st Feb 2007, 13:49
http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/weaponsystemsoperator.cfm

highlifeboy
21st Feb 2007, 13:53
Thankyou all for your info

What kind of aircraft is an E3

airborne_artist
21st Feb 2007, 13:55
http://k47.pbase.com/v3/90/546990/1/46640809.IMG_5138_G.JPG

E3s are "Airborne Warning and Control System, (AWACS) is a radar-based electronic system designed to carry out airborne surveillance, and C2BM (command and control, battle management) functions."

highlifeboy
21st Feb 2007, 13:58
Cheers for that.....

Its a converted 737 then lol

airborne_artist
21st Feb 2007, 13:59
The newer ones are based on the 767, the original USAF on the 707.

QFIhawkman
21st Feb 2007, 14:02
:ugh:

No. It's a converted 707 if we're being simplistic.

737? You need to get to more air shows, or perhaps order the defence recognition journal!

:ugh:

highlifeboy
21st Feb 2007, 14:02
Hi Matt,

Started with Caledonian Airways then Air Atlanta Icelandic then British midland.... What do u do

I've_got a traveller
21st Feb 2007, 14:03
he's taken a shine to you Matt!!!:p

highlifeboy
21st Feb 2007, 14:05
Cheeky sod lol

airborne_artist
21st Feb 2007, 14:06
Its ok as Airborne has taken him under his wing......
I think my idea of a jump and his might be a little different :}

highlifeboy
21st Feb 2007, 14:10
Well i will just leave you both to decide that one????

Is it because Im cabin crew lol

airborne_artist
21st Feb 2007, 14:15
I'm regularly in touch with the feminine side - she's here working with me - excuse me while I pat her ar$e :ok:

I've_got a traveller
21st Feb 2007, 14:23
Highlife

Do you have any female stewards wanting to come over? They'd have a jolly good time. Now, I would take them under my wing, in fact I wouldn't be too fussy on where I took them !!! Yak yak :8

airborne_artist
21st Feb 2007, 14:27
IGAT - a lad on the RN EFTS course after me was pleasured by two WRAF stewards "flying in formation" at Leeming ISTR - and neither was a double-bagger, so it can be done :E

highlifeboy
21st Feb 2007, 20:07
Thanks for all your help guyz,
Will be in touch for more advice when I hear back from them ........

airborne_artist
21st Feb 2007, 20:28
Highlife - PM Bootscooter here on Pprune - he's a loadmaster on the C17. I'm sure he'd be happy to give you a run-down on his experience.

This is a C17:

http://www.planecrazy.me.uk/raf-c17a.jpg

wokkameister
21st Feb 2007, 20:34
Are you overweight, balding and bespectacled ? Can you pass ot white boxes, say 'Squash?' and get hessy about whether window shades are up or down?

If the answer to any of the above is yes then contact 216 Sqn at Brize Norton immediately.:ugh:

Redcarpet
21st Feb 2007, 20:45
That's just the women on the Sqn ;)

wokkameister
21st Feb 2007, 20:52
Sory Red, should have clarified that point

highlifeboy
21st Feb 2007, 21:07
Hi Mate,

Well im not overweight but have a shaved head lol

highlifeboy
21st Feb 2007, 21:12
I know the TriStars are veryold however I really did love working on them as Cabin Crew.... Very crew friendly as the aisles were very wide, heigh ceilings and the underfloor galley lol Im sure the RAF ones are very different to commercial ones lol Mind you I bet you dont cram 393 passengers into yours:p

wokkameister
21st Feb 2007, 21:13
That's what you will be like when your back is knackered and you are after a posting to Tristars.Today 21:52

Not this callsign sunshine. I can stand up on my aircraft, backs fine and I'd rather eat my own gonads than cry off sick to 216

highlifeboy
21st Feb 2007, 21:16
British Midland Mate

Can you not just be an Air Steward?? After all I have 10 years experience in that field surely that would want to use that?

highlifeboy
21st Feb 2007, 21:25
Been with them for 3 years now matey, like the airline but after 10 years I just wanna do something different and you cant get much different then working with the RAF.... The time away is not a problem matey...

wokkameister
21st Feb 2007, 21:36
:yuk: Why don't you two get a room?

highlifeboy
21st Feb 2007, 21:38
The interview was awful, they never even wanted to get to know anything about you.. They were not even qualified to interview people who had 3 and 4 times thier experience... At least with the RAF im sure they will be more than qualified but hey I may be wrong..

You tell me mate, what are the interviews like, would really love to talk to someone who is doing the job already..... Do u have to live on base or can you commute if your just being Cabin Crew its all new to me and I have so many questions lol

1000CC'soffun
22nd Feb 2007, 01:01
You want to try something more "interesting"?

Become a NAVIGATOR, they will be the first (and last) to tell you their job is interesting...............................:bored: , then they will tell you again, just incase you got bored the first time round and switched off.:rolleyes:

Mr-Burns
22nd Feb 2007, 08:36
Highlife,

In return for all this top info, can you give us an invitation to a cabin crew party?? ......... with birds obviously.

(PS What is rimming???)

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/search/index.cfm

Hi ,
I have been flying for 3 Major Airlines in the Uk ,
But I Would like to Know if there are other
RAF Air Stewards out there who can tell me what it's like the job role and also how long does it take till you get to serve in the sky . And also do the lads take the piss out of the stewards on flights and where would one be based if they decide to join the RAF .

Cheer's for help .

airborne_artist
22nd Feb 2007, 10:06
And tell the lasses in your team that we all look like Ralph Fiennes, but have more money than him :}

Smudger552
22nd Feb 2007, 12:16
Thanks alot Mr Burns.....I now have Cup A Soup all over my keyboard & monitor.......:bored:

callsign Metman
22nd Feb 2007, 12:31
This could be the most entertaining thread in aaaages...:}

side salad
22nd Feb 2007, 12:39
I hope you like a good BBQ if you want to join, the Stewards like them, especially a spit roast.

startermotor
22nd Feb 2007, 13:21
been done here
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265126

Mr-Burns
22nd Feb 2007, 13:52
See current thread on 'Air Force Air Stewards' - its a corker !!!

...... and if you dont agree I'll scratch yer eyes out. XXX

Mr-Burns
22nd Feb 2007, 13:57
Bitch to you too girlfriend !!!!

Is there a place for a straight acting , Gay guy .
well until the vodka hits , Just worried I would be bullied if someone found out . I feel that the Money is Good for a steward with the RAF but I don't want my wings clipped to long and at a time like this I would like to be bringing the Men and Women back from Iraq to there families ..

I lift my hat off to you all !!

Also what A/c would i be working on if I did get into the RAF ?

mymatetcm
22nd Feb 2007, 15:25
a few of the air stewards and stewardess have a similar background to you, there is no bullying etc it is not tolerated, and rarely happens. some camp it up but its all part of the fun i guess. if you interested join up and see if you like it 17k a lot better than xl 9k

Cheers ,
where would one be based and do they provide accomadation . I looked at the website its great
I know there is a Info place in Holborn for the RAF .

So many times I have been on the bus which passes the building and thought should I do it . I'm 29 years old so I need to do it now or never .

GPMG
22nd Feb 2007, 15:44
Surely the Royal Fleet Auxiliary would be a better hunting ground.......you can even ask your oppo's if they would like to try docking.

What is rimming??? ,
If i get the job i'll tell you over a drink , but I think you would be shocked .

Bruiser Loose
22nd Feb 2007, 15:52
I can sense a (s)poof in the air, gentlemen!

Yeah but i make great coffee !!

Cyprus countrybred
22nd Feb 2007, 17:39
They don't tend to cram more than 246 pax on the Tristars (often PCF) but if you want to bring the troops back from the gulf you might as well work for one of the charter airlines the RAF use more often than their own fleet, try Excel, Omni or Monarch. Or go for WSOps and hope you end up as loadie on the Hercules fleet, you'll spend plenty of time with the troops in the gulf then...