PDA

View Full Version : Royal Brunei?

Andy_S
21st Feb 2007, 09:18
Hi,
I may be travelling Heathrow to Kota Kinabalu later this year, and have a choice of flying with either Malaysian or Royal Brunei. I know Malaysian reasonably well, but have never travelled with BI and would appreciate comments and advice on their service levels in economy.
I've already checked out Airlinequality.com, and passenger reviews would seem to suggest that the quality of on board service is highly variable, from very good to indifferent. I've also noted that the long haul sector is flown by 767's, some of which are refurbished, some of which are not, and that it appears to be pot luck whether you get to fly in the retrofitted aircraft. Is this still the case?
I also understand that no alcoholic drink is served on board BI flights. I've seen comments on PPRuNe and elsewhere which suggests that passengers are welcome to 'bring a bottle', but I guess this arrangement has been torpedoed by the current security measures relating to carry on baggage.
Any info appreciated.

JFW
21st Feb 2007, 12:32
i travelled London - Brisbane with them last year and couldn't fault them - superb service. However, my parents also flew with them (different flight) and said serice not brilliant.

I had one of the retrofitted ones for London - Brunei and one of the older ones for Brunei to Brisbane. I gather that 4 out of the fleet of 6 have been fitted out so I suppose its a one in three chance!

Salusa
22nd Feb 2007, 15:37
I normally fly SQ, but due to not being able to get a flight around the dates I needed, I ended up going BI from LHR to CGK.

I was travelling with wife and young family in economy, and the whole experience was very good. Crew were very attentive and especially good with young children.

Heathrow - Dubai - Brunei - Jakarta.

The 'downside' to the whole journey was the long transit time through Brunei, which is a very small airport with very little to do. However it is a big enough reason that I would avoid Brunei again unless no other option was available.