PDA

View Full Version : CASA IREX tips required

cougar77
21st Feb 2007, 06:47
I am considering attempting the CASA IREX by self study. Would appreciate any tips and advice. Are the materials that the candidate allowed to bring in normally used/required for most questions.
Material to be Supplied by the Candidate

The following reference documents are required and must be provided by the candidate on the day of the exam:

Civil Aviation Regulations (CAR);
Civil Aviation Orders 20 to 95.2;
CAAP 234-1(1);
AIP complete which includes:
AIP Book (including AIP SUP);
En Route Supplement Australia (ERSA);
Departure and Approach Procedures (East & West);
Terminal Area Charts (TAC) (all);
En Route Charts (ERC) (low) (all).For rules, procedures, and aeronautical information including chart interpretation, the examination questions are based solely on the above-permitted publications.
As provided under CAR 233(1)(h), on a candidate's own preference, Jeppesen Airway Manual may be used as an examination reference in place of CASA's AIP complete, but if any differences between CASA and Jeppesen documents result in the selection of incorrect answer(s), CASA will NOT accept this consequence as a basis for re-mark.
(Only ONE set of documents, either CASA's or Jeppesen but NOT both, may be used).
All candidates must provide their own writing implements - normal pens (biros), pencils and erasers are permitted. Calculators will be provided.

helopat
21st Feb 2007, 08:19
I brought everything...used charts, ERSA, DAPS, AIP, and CAO's...not too much on CAR's as I recall.

Now, I'm not sure, but was there a question besides what pubs do you need? I did the IREX by self study, however...

I'd suggest you find some practice exams and work them in exam-like conditions. I suggest this for two reasons. One, doing the practices will tune you in to the stuff in the charts/manuals you'll be most likely to need in the exam. Two, doing some practices in a quiet room and limiting yourself timewise as if it were a real exam will give you SOME notion on whether you're prepared enough.

Its no easy test, the IREX, so get studying. Good luck. Remember, an ounce of prevention (preparation) is worth a pound of cure (crying yourself to sleep if you fail the darned thing...and then having to do it all AGAIN).

HP

cougar77
21st Feb 2007, 08:31
Thanks Helopat.

Reason why i am asking is that i did the FAA IREX and only brought along a simple electronic calculator. It was all self study as the Test Prep was very comprehensive with all the Q's and A's unlike the one that i am now losing sleep over.

helopat
21st Feb 2007, 08:57
Well, just quietly (speaking as someone who has also done the US instrument rating) when you can read through a question bank and just continuously review the Q's and the A's...not sure I think that makes you really think. Now, I'm not saying that makes you or anyone else with a US instrument rating a bad driver. However, if you can wade through the documents in Australia and are comfortable enough with those docs (and the regulations and information therein) then you should be able to pass the IREX. A big point on the IREX is that its a CASA exam and therefore as much a test of english comprehension as it is of the regs themselves (which is a bad thing, admittedly). First and most important point, read the f-ing question and ALL the answers before you tick an answer. If you are interested, I have some additional advice which might be helpful...PM me before the end of Thursday and I'll give you the good goss.

HP

PhilJ
21st Feb 2007, 14:53
Helopat,

Any chance you can just post the good goss? I am also in the position of having a FAA IR and studying for the IREX, currently using Bob Taits book, any suggestions on study material?

helopat
21st Feb 2007, 19:51
Sure, not a problem,

FIrst is (you already got this one) do the Bob Tait book cover to cover. Big one is just getting back to understanding fixed card ADF (which hardly exists in my world anymore)...that was a HUGE help.

Next, I called a flight school at camden airport (NSW) and chatted with the boss about some tuition for IREX (this was recommended to me by a friend)...now, as I can't advertise online (moderators?) I won't mention the name of the bloke or the business, but if you PM me, I'm happy to let you know. He sent me some single subject papers and then some practice exams. Finally spent a day up in Camden sitting practices and that did the trick...he debriefed me on all the problems I had and only charged me for the time he ACTUALLY spent with me (as opposed to charging me for the e-tests, and the time I was sitting in his briefing room doing the exams...suggest that you'd want to confirm with him whether this is still the case. In any case, got a 94% first time round, so, in my mind, a very good investiment of time and money...I'm absolutely sure you don't need to do a $2500 course to pass this...just put in some elbow grease and follow the simple steps...hope to hear from you gentlemen.

HP

Turkeyslapper
21st Feb 2007, 21:28
I used the Bob Tait book almost exclusively and highly recommend it. Do the practice exams in the back and any others you can get a hold of. The book certainly teaches you how to pass the exam!

I managed to self study and polish off the exam first time around in about 2-3 weeks (and I am no rocket scientist!) so I wouldn't think a 2500 dollar course (is it really that much?) is really required.

bladepitch
21st Feb 2007, 22:19
agree with turkey

i did the ground school with bobby tait. the guy is a master and i passed first go so any book with his name on it to do with IREX is first rate.

bob may be able to give you access on line to his practice exams for a small fee (trust me , money well spent) there are four in all and no better way to prep for the exam

Rocker
21st Feb 2007, 22:52
Helopat, I respectfully disagree with you. Even with test questions that are fairly straightforward you still have to know the information. Don't fault the FAA for telling you exactly what you need to know and then testing you accordingly. You are not allowed to bring any books into the test (perhaps because the FAA organizes all of the information you need to know in one book instead of CAR's, AIP, CAO and CAAP). You either know it or you don't. Granted, with a question bank of exactly the same questions on the test you can drill the questions and answers in your head. However, at that point, don't you possess the knowledge?

On the CASA IREX it is not enough to know the information. You have to be a good test taker as well. Being able to figure out trick questions doesn't make you a better pilot. Isn't the purpose of the test to assess your knowledge? Before taking the IREX I was told half the battle is reading the question. Read it thoroughly, read it again and then review it after you choose your answer. I did Bob Tait's self study book and thought it was great. You have to do all of the sample questions. As you are doing them you will think, "Why is he trying to trick me with this question?" It's because the IREX questions try to trick you. Bob's questions were spot on to the IREX questions I had and they put me in the mindset to answer trick questions.

Remember, a pass is all that matters on this test. Don't sweat any "deficiencies" listed on the second page. You are most likely deficient in answering trick questions than in your lack of knowledge. There are no trick questions when I'm in the air. I either know the information or I don't.

Shifting to another thought, why does CASA have separate IFR ratings for single and multi engine helicopters? (The FAA does not for helicopters)

Cheers!

Rocker

helopat
21st Feb 2007, 23:02
Rocker,

For starters I'm not defending the IREX as a good exam...far from it. I'm just saying I passed and here's how I did it. Now, to further defend myself, I also did the US test. Either way, I agree that you need to know what you need to know in the air. Long and short of it is, whether you like it or not, IREX seems like its here to stay.

HP

cougar77
22nd Feb 2007, 04:41
Thanks for your tips helopat. As i am not currently in OZ, i just have to go thru Bob's book over and over again working on the Q's at the end of the chapter. However, when i checked the sample Q's listed on CASA's website, lots of the sample Q's didnt seem similar form to those of Bob's.

NZLeardriver
22nd Feb 2007, 04:49
Rocker - I knew a guy with minimal english who spents days studying the FAA queston bank. He was able to memorize the shape of the questions and answers and got a good pass. He did not know the material.

helopat
22nd Feb 2007, 08:24
Thanks for your tips helopat. As i am not currently in OZ, i just have to go thru Bob's book over and over again working on the Q's at the end of the chapter. However, when i checked the sample Q's listed on CASA's website, lots of the sample Q's didnt seem similar form to those of Bob's.

Cougar 77,

The Bob Tait book is the gettin started point...you still need to get hold of some practice exams and do them...this will get you into the books and will get you applying the stuff you learned in Bobs book. I wish it was as simple as just reading the book, but its definately a good start from one who's been there.

Best of luck,

HP

Rocker
23rd Feb 2007, 00:44
NZLeardriver, even a blind squirrel gets a nut every now and then! True, the format does make it easier to memorize some of the answers. I'm not sure how you can study the shape of the questions and use that to pass. If your mate studied specific answers, I can see how it is possible to pass with that strategy. Even in that scenario though, he would have to have learned something. Perhaps just not as much as he should. Hopefully, the practical test would catch deficiencies of the pilot who doesn't know the material. It's not a full-proof system, just a better one than the IREX in my humble opinion.
Helopat, unfortunately, it does look like the IREX format is here to stay. I just wish CASA was open to a little change in this area.:ugh:
Cheers!
Rocker