PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Pacific STAFF TRAVEL

Richard Wong
21st Feb 2007, 05:33
Most other airlines call this scheme "non-revenue travel", at Cathay Pacific it is called "staff travel".

Is there a hidden message in the terminology used? Since Cathay actually MAKES MONEY off the employees each time we board a flight, is that why the term "staff travel" is used versus "no revenue"?

Glad that I contributed to my company's bottom line in ways other than just working hard!

virga67
21st Feb 2007, 06:20
My specific airline in Europe also deals with staff tarvel. There is a whole department that solely deals with these tickets and they make lots of money.

tryhard
21st Feb 2007, 10:08
I've heard the revenue from staff travel every year nearly covers 13th month salary. So they probably break even. Either way neither 13th month or staff travel are really "bonuses" if that's true. I just feel sorry for the guys with the travel fund. They have that difficult decision "Bali" or "phuket" this week dear?......:yuk: (Spewing injustice)

christn
21st Feb 2007, 11:17
tryhard, you really are an unpleasant person!

The SSK
21st Feb 2007, 11:44
There are official ICAO definitions of 'revenue' and 'non-revenue' passengers.

Non-revenue includes, for example, "(i) persons travelling free; (ii) persons travelling at a fare or discount available only to employees of air carriers or their agents or only for travel on the business of the carriers; (iii) infants who do not occupy a seat."

The standard unit of measurement in the airline business, which has all kinds of applications and ramifications, is Revenue Passenger Kilometres or RPKs, ie kilometres flown by revenue passengers.

Since 'non-revenue' is an inaccurate name for something which has a precise definition, maybe Cathay are just trying to come up with a better description?

pakeha-boy
21st Feb 2007, 16:58
hey wong........

....is there a difference in price in staff travel for those using and on drugs.....versus ,,..those of us that dont.....just curious,based on one of your previous posts concerning staff using drugs????...PB