PDA

View Full Version : PPL

Laichtown
20th Feb 2007, 20:53
Hi,

I started my PPL last summer and had done about 10 hours and felt I was progressing well when the instructor left the club. I haven't flown for about 2 1/5 months. Still waiting for the club to get sorted with a new instructor.

Options I am considering:

Try a new club/ school
Wait it out until club gets sorted
USA condensed course

What are your views?

scooter boy
20th Feb 2007, 21:34
Depends on your timescale, ability to travel and finances.

If you have little free time and want to get on with it then do it intensively somewhere with nice weather, get it wrapped up and get on with the real learning and flying (which happens post PPL - just as it does in a car after you get your driving license).
If you don't mind waiting for a replacement instructor, weather etc... then continue in the UK.
You will hear both sides of the argument here but IMHO the option of going abroad and getting some intensive training is best. You will learn in a newer, better equipped aircraft in busier airspace and for less money.

SB ;)

Katherine Alexandra
20th Feb 2007, 22:09
Obviously only my experience, but when my 2nd instructor left suddenly after she got her dream job (she wasn't much over 5 foot so it was tricky!), my flying club found me a new instructor for the same slot I'd booked a week previously.

If your flying club has taken over 2 months to find you a new one, why not try another one out? There are tons of flying clubs/schools out there and I don't doubt the forums can help you decide!

:) ATB,

K

tangovictor
21st Feb 2007, 00:04
you don't mention where your based, or if you have paid any monies up front ? ( which usually is cheaper )
there's many schools to choose from, personally I wouldn't go the US route
but, each to there own

Put1992
21st Feb 2007, 07:09
I am on my third instructor now, and am doing ok(as far as im aware ;)
If you like the club your at, stay there, but be sure to explain to your instructor you level, and what you happy and not happy doing

Laichtown
22nd Feb 2007, 20:10
Don't really want to say where the club is. Geographically it is very close to me compared to others and it is very ggod value relative to other clubs in the region.

Another option I thought of if it is possibe would be to do intensive training with the club in the summer, if and when they get sorted with an instructor. I have the option of 4 weeks special leave in August and would be prepared to do it all here as I'd save the cost of a flight to USA and accommadation etc. Also I already have 10 hours and was pretty close to sol before it all fell through.