PDA

View Full Version : Any disadvantages with EU member state ATPL trying to get a job in the UK?

abbotyobs
18th Feb 2007, 18:45
Hi,
I am a British Mil pilot on exchange flying duties in a EU country.
I can quite easily get my JAA CPL/IR with ATPL credit theory whilst I am abroad, away from the UK and then when I go back to the UK, I can transfer my EU issued ATPL to a UK CAA one after living in the UK for 185 days.

Does anyone know if I would be disadavantaged trying to get a job with a UK airline since the initial ATPL would have been issued abroad, or does it not matter.
Thanks very much

scroggs
18th Feb 2007, 20:13
You might have problems with some airlines. There are some which demand a UK-issued licence (either CAA or JAA) because they've been burned by fraudulently-obtained licences from other EU countries in the past. Best check with your target airlines - this information is usually on the recruiting pages of their websites. Most, even if they insist on a UK-issued licence, will make a job offer contingent on you obtaining said licence by the time you turn up for your induction, so you have some time to play with.

Scroggs

Vortex Thing
19th Feb 2007, 01:45
Have you checked the QSP transfer rules for UK CAA there are copies in the 3456 and some of the JSPs too.

Are you ATPL (A) or (H) on exchange?

When I left I checked out the sites and there are many many dispensations for 2000 hrs plus QSPs you may find that you have to do surprisingly little as the courses have now all been accredited.

Those graduating from JEFTS all get a PPL now and those from METS get a CPL both JAR not UK. When you are Green rated with the requisite experience and currency you can also get your IR transferred you can even move QFI/QHI quals over.

So I'd check what you can get issued from UK, get it and then add to the UK issued JAR licence unless you want to come to work for FR of course in which case you will need and Irish JAR licence:rolleyes:

Good luck VT

abbotyobs
19th Feb 2007, 05:56
Thanks for your help.
I have between 1500 and 2000 hours fast-jet, so I miss out on the excemptions unfortunately.
I just wanted to obtain my EU JAA CPL/IR ATPL theory whilst on exchange for 3 years which would be converted to a UK one on my return.
I do need to check if this is detrimental to a UK airline application though.
If anyone else from the airlines has any guidance on the above, I would be most grateful for info.
Thanks

potatowings
26th Feb 2007, 10:10
I'm not from the airlines any more, but do work biz jets now.

I remember from my days as a trainer that 'foreign ' JAA licences caused problems when it came to UK TRE's signing off a class or rating as often the DGAC (french) wouldn't accept it and alike, so the company I worked for insisted that all non UK pilots had to convert to a UK JAA licence and post transition it really wasn't a problem.

Not sure about the recruiting side of things. I don't see any reason why if you have already converted it to a UK issued licence it should even be considered as a problem.

Hope that helps.

Air Luchador
27th Feb 2007, 03:40
You might have problems with some airlines. There are some which demand a UK-issued licence (either CAA or JAA) because they've been burned by fraudulently-obtained licences from other EU countries in the past.

You can easily get a fraudulent license in UK as well, but Brits are just being arrogant, that's all and wasn't a JAA established to ease this transitions and to unite the regulations? I had similar problems transfering my JAA medical here, but I resisted to do my CAA as this is my right as a citizen of EU. Lost a job ,but not a pride and I was happy to defy this double-standard self inflicted method some airlines use.
I think It is time for UK to realise either they going to oin the rest of EU or forever remain an island with their own rules.

Variatie
11th Mar 2007, 12:16
For what it's worth: Last year I applied with a German JAA-licence as a Dutch Citizen for a job with BA. The application was succesfull, so it appears not to be such a problem. You might have to give an explanation, but as long as it's a valid one..

It might prove a little bit more difficult to actually converting your Abroad-JAA-licence to a UK-issued one, but except for time and a few Pound, it's not impossible.

Good luck!