PDA

View Full Version : combined mep and me/ir?

skyhigher
18th Feb 2007, 07:50
does anyone out there know if it is possible to do and JAA combined MEP and ME/IR thus reducing the overall cost?

FlyingForFun
18th Feb 2007, 09:34
No, it's not.

It's possible to combine the MEP with the CPL. But it's not possible to combine it with the IR - you must have completed the training for your MEP before you can start your IR.

FFF
---------------

skyhigher
18th Feb 2007, 11:17
thanks FFF, just a thought to save some cash.

cheers

Tinstaafl
18th Feb 2007, 12:05
I'm not certain, but are you sure you must have have completed the MEP before commencing the IR? I had thought that you must have passed the MEP *test* prior to the IR *test*. That's not quite the same.

FFF, your thoughts?

dwshimoda
18th Feb 2007, 12:42
You do not need to have completed the ME test before starting the IR. There are many places that do half of the IR on a single, such as a 172, before transitioning onto the twin.

I did the first 15 hours of my IR in my C172, before I did a 6 hour ME rating and test, and resumed the IR in the Seneca. This saved me about £155 an hour for the first 15 hours - quite significant.

According to LASORS you only need do 15 hours (of the total of either of 50 or 55 hours depending on your route) in an ME aircraft to be able to sit the multi IR test.

Got to be honest though, I wouldn't fancydoing an IR test with only 15 hours on a complex twin.

DW.

BigGrecian
18th Feb 2007, 16:05
You don't have to of completed your ME before your ME IR. It's just the case that's normally how it's done.
I know a lot of people who took their MEP Class rating in their 170.

For what it's worth I took my ME IR with only 15 hours multi - and passed first time.

FlyingForFun
18th Feb 2007, 18:10
Quote from LASORS, E1.2, in the section titled "For Multi Engine (ME) Aeroplanes":
Note: An applicant for a multi-engine IR(A) course who does not hold a multi-engine aeroplane class or type rating shall have completed the multi-engine training specified in JAR-FCL 1.261(b)(2) (see Section F3.2) prior to commencing the flight training for the IR(A) course.
In other words, there is no requirement to pass the MEP skills test, only to have completed the training, and this must be done before starting the IR course. (Which I think is exactly what I said in my earlier reply - "you must have completed the training for your MEP before you can start your IR" - but I've now added the reference and quote from LASORS to back this up.)

FFF
--------------

smith
19th Feb 2007, 09:31
try aerodynamics malaga, they do mr/ir and combine the two.

dwshimoda
20th Feb 2007, 09:31
FFF, it's the statement that you must have completed it before you start your IR that I have issue with - it is incorrect - you can do the ME training at any point.

DW.

Linda Mollison
20th Feb 2007, 10:04
FFF is right.

I also quote from LASORS, section E1.2:

Note: An applicant for a multi-engine IR(A) course who does not hold a multi-engine aeroplane class or type rating shall have completed the multi-engine training specified in JAR-FCL 1.261(b)(2) (see Section F3.2)prior to commencing the flight training for the IR(A)course.

dwshimoda

If your school allowed you to start your IR before you had done your MEP training they were wrong.

Linda

dwshimoda
20th Feb 2007, 10:45
Linda,
You are in fact correct - that is a change from the LASORS 2005 I was looking at. My apologies to FFF, and anyone else I may have mislead - thankfully I keep my charts up to date better than I do my LASORS!

DW.

MIKECR
20th Feb 2007, 19:26
My school does the ME/IR(55 hours) as 35 hours sim, 6 hours multi conversion then the remaining hours as IR. That way you complete the ME training before the IR training in the aircraft.