PDA

View Full Version : What`s near Disney in Florida ?

Jamie-Southend
17th Feb 2007, 20:04
Hi Everyone,

Off to the dreaded Walt Disney World Florida in a couple of weeks. I have been several times before, but the attraction of Mickey & Minnie is wearing thin, so i can bundle the wife and kids off at the Magic Kingdom, and head off in search of anything aviation related.

Can anyone suggest places to visit?

I have done Kermit Weeks place a few times, and the Warbirds at Kissimee, plus MCO & SFB Airports, but fancy something else, even some light aviation fields, and they dont have to be historic.

Any ideas?

treadigraph
17th Feb 2007, 21:26
Go to Winter Haven and have a ride in one of Jack Brown's J-3 floatplanes - they are great fun! Also the Kennedy Space Centre (sorry, Center) is well worth a visit if you haven't been already. Also Space Coast Regional Airport has a museum and some interesting aircraft.

Tempsford
17th Feb 2007, 21:32
Valiant Air Command at TICO is worth a look. Their Airshow is 16-18 March.
Temps

evansb
17th Feb 2007, 22:33
Orlando-Executive Airport (KORL) located 3 nm east of the centre of the city.

Orlando-Apopka Airport (KX04) located 16 nm NW of Orlando.

The great Sun'n Fun Fly-In at Lakeland, Florida, (KLAL)
takes place this year from April 17th to the 23rd.

Panama Jack
18th Feb 2007, 04:37
Gliding

Just south of Clermont in Lake County. Grass strip, lots of gliders, even a swimming pool, about 20-30 minutes away from Disney World.

vapilot2004
18th Feb 2007, 08:26
A quick ride to the east (45min) will present for your approval the Kennedy Space Center.

Nearby is the Valiant Air Command Museum. Lots of warbirds here.

Polk City, located about 30 mins SW of Orlando and houses about 30 - 40 vintage aircraft.

18th Feb 2007, 09:48
If you do plan a trip to the space centre (center!), there is a shuttle launch planned for the 15th of march.
Even if you don't go into Kennedy, it is still very impressive from a few miles away, especially as it is an early morning launch. (7am).

TSR2
18th Feb 2007, 20:30
Why not drop in on John Travoltas place in Jumbolaire, Ocala Co. May see a nice B707.

BOAC
19th Feb 2007, 08:52
Some posts edited/removed: see Reminder 2

Saintsman
19th Feb 2007, 14:33
I would try a flying lesson (assuming you're not already a pilot). Its much cheaper than in the UK and you get to see lots of Florida as well.

If you're going for two weeks you'd be half way through a PPL by the time you got home!

WHBM
19th Feb 2007, 14:43
It's always difficult to answer questions like this without breaking the PPRuNe Commercial Advertising rules. But as you are an aviation person there's lots of choice.

Kermit Weeks - of course.
Skydiving, maybe just a Tandem. A place beginning with Z......
Kennedy Space Center always worth a full day - and check their launch schedule.
Seaplane ride. Best one is out of Key West to Fort Jefferson, should you be going down The Keys.
Flying trips - not certain if you are licenced in the UK. Some operate out of surprisingly busy commercial fields. It can be a hassle getting your licence validated for a quick trip, just take an instructor.

the dean
19th Feb 2007, 14:51
hi jamie...you could try albert whitted field...nice little one in downtown saint petes for uncongested beach area flying...but not sure if they hire out or do lessons any longer...

then there are bi plane rides..( or were but its six years since i was there and sorry i can't recall name of fbo there but google might get it..) using a stearman...

you could try mc dill AFB...where the gulf war was directed from .i never did it but think there are conducted tours on certain days. google might get you some more info on that.

mc dill / st. petes beach would be in the opposite direction to the space centre...it takes about 1 hour 45 mins from disney to there..via I 4...then I 275 a short bit out across tampa bay ( but not so far as over the bay ...though thats a nice drive over the relatively new skyway twins bridge.

you might combine it with an overnight stay and swim at the beach. plenty of motels along gulf boulevard though march is still high season.

look at the routing and mc dill on google earth to get your bearings..

have fun...:ok:

the dean.

Jamie-Southend
19th Feb 2007, 17:10
Thanks for all the replies, more than two weeks worth, and should i do them all Divoice proceedings will surely follow :}

I will pick through them all, and there are many right on our temporary doorstep - thanks to all.

Jamie

TURIN
20th Feb 2007, 14:12
Try Wallaby Ranch Flight Park for a tandem hang-glider flight.

At the risk of annoying the mods, here's the directions.

From Orlando International Airport

Take the airport South Exit towards Kissimmee/Disney World. Take 417 South (toll) to I-4 West (towards Tampa).

Take exit # 58 (Kissimmee/Champions Gate), turn right off the ramp onto Champions Gate Boulevard.

Follow Champions Gate Boulevard past a shopping center until you reach a T-intersection and can't go any further.

Turn right onto Ronald Reagan Parkway/CR 54 (there is no sign).

Continue West on Ronald Reagan Parkway/CR 54, crossing Hwy 27. (Ronald Reagan Parkway/CR 54 turns into Deen Still Road once you cross Hwy 27.)

From the intersection with Hwy 27, continue exactly 1.7 miles west on Deen Still Road. You will see our mailbox on the left (1805; there is no big sign). Turn left down the driveway.

Pull up to the office and ring the bell. Someone will always be there to help you.

Jamie-Southend
20th Feb 2007, 15:30
Thanks TURIN,

I never new that was there at all, and will definatly check it out in a couple of weeks, I have a house at Westridge on the 27 so i could almost walk to that one if it weren`t for the critters :eek:

Jamie

Parrot
20th Feb 2007, 22:12
Jamie, Even if the Sun 'n Fun airshow is not on the go at Lakeland, the aviation museum there is well worth a visit

PaperTiger
21st Feb 2007, 19:32
Skydiving, maybe just a Tandem. A place beginning with Z......Deland is nearer.

Bearcat
24th Feb 2007, 01:59
Oh Yeah, if you have kids and have to do the disney thing, it will wreck your head....apart from the cost....you'll queue for ever. I know those of you in the UK are good at queues but wait till you get to a disney resort...unreal.

Anyway I never had a a chance to do anything else with kids in tow.

rufus.t.firefly
24th Feb 2007, 09:30
Go To Kissimmee and have a flight with Warbird Adventures...T6 Texan and
Bell 47 , I can recommend both ...brilliant experiences.:)