PDA

View Full Version : French Anti Tank Weapon

clicker
17th Feb 2007, 15:22
A slight case of whoops, try again, carefully?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9731d_4407

GreenKnight121
17th Feb 2007, 16:09
"as capable as the American Stinger or Hellfire"

I see... that is what happens when you try to pack the armor-penetrating capability of a Hellfire (45.7-47.8 kg vehicle/aircraft-mounted only) anti-tank missile with the portability of a Stinger (18.5 kg man-portable) anti-aircraft missile... there is no room left for a propulsion unit. :E

The closest US equivilent is the man-portable (tripod mounted) version of the TOW (21.5 kg) anti-tank missile... which does have a rocket motor. :ok:

drakkar
17th Feb 2007, 16:49
I can easily recognize US humour in this tread when the "french word" is involved; But as a french myself, I can tell you that if you listen carefully, these soldiers are canadian.... Well, some of them speak french too....
Having flown half a meter this rocket is probably not armed and therefore not very dangerous. Why comparing a Hellfire, a Stinger and a Milan, I can't see the point? You forgot the Patriot;

Drakkar

The Helpful Stacker
17th Feb 2007, 17:03
Its got to be fake.

Wouldn't the French reply to an enemy tank be a white flag?

I hear they're pretty handy against Greenpeace ships though.

Synthetic
17th Feb 2007, 21:02
That'll be the new SRGGM then.:\

AngloPepper
18th Feb 2007, 18:36
Hate to admit it but the troops are Canadian. The missile,however, is 100% French! We're looking for a replacement right now, as it happens ....

barnstormer1968
18th Feb 2007, 20:22
Why would you want a replacement, surely you would like something better next time. (although, it may be a useful weapon for helicopter use, as the downwash would improve it's performance greatly)

Sorry, bad play on word's, already have coat on, and heading for the door.:oh:

brakedwell
19th Feb 2007, 13:08
Why replace it when you can re-use it?:cool:

LowObservable
19th Feb 2007, 16:44
It looks like a potato cannon misfiring. Un peu plus Aqua Net, Pierre!

country calls
19th Feb 2007, 19:50
My missile spotting days are over but is that not the Canadians using Javelin, a fire and forget anti tank missile which has a soft launch system?
Have a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FGM-148_Javelin
That said if any munition which had been fired and then landed so close would have had me off across the bondu quicker, than well, a very quick thing!

M609
19th Feb 2007, 20:14
My missile spotting days are over but is that not the Canadians using Javelin, a fire and forget anti tank missile which has a soft launch system?

No, Eryx, and that's French.

The Norwegian army has it, but has ordered the Javelin as well. (Longer range, since TOW has been phased out in the inf. Bns.)