PDA

View Full Version : CD to CD

planecrazy.eu
17th Feb 2007, 11:17
Hey, i wish to copy from CD to CD, i have two DVD-RW drives and wish to copy simply from the one to the other.

This is pretty simple using the software i have, but what it does, it coppies the contents of the CD onto the HD and then burns (clonecd). But this means there is no speed advantage in using two drives.

So does anyone know of any software or a way to get clone CD to copy directly from one CD to another and skip out the copy to hd stage?

Thanks All

A2QFI
17th Feb 2007, 11:21
I use Roxio CD/DVD creator V 7 for this. It does a straight disc to disc copy. You may not like the price though!

terryJones
17th Feb 2007, 12:02
From way back when... I seem to recall that disk to disk was NOT recomended because any error was normally a READ error, not a write error. Therefore a file could be made on HD, verified, then writen to CD, which at the time were several pounds each.
Therefore, if the data is important, as opposed to just music/video, 'tis the best method. I have two dvd writers onboard, but very rarley do 'on the fly' copies.

matelot
17th Feb 2007, 13:05
Have you tried CDBurner XP Pro? Free download. Very reliable and may do what you want.

It's here: http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

rotorcraig
17th Feb 2007, 14:04
When you burn from CD to CD it's essential that there is a "constant stream" of data going to the target drive (blank CD) at all times. If the stream dries up , even for a split second, then the burn will fail.

Think of it like a bath where the taps are on, and the plug is out too. So water (music) is coming out of the taps (from original CD) into the bath and straight out of the bath down the plug hole (to blank CD). So long as there is a backlog of water in the bath, everything is fine, but if it runs out things will go wrong.

If the source drive (original CD) is fast and the target drive (blank CD) is a bit slower then the stream will probably never dry up. But if it's not ... or if your PC suddenly decides to do something else (eg an eMail arrives and AntiVirus decides to take a look at it) ... then the stream could dry up and the burn could fail.

Which brings us back to the observation that others have already stated ... better to stream the original CD to the Hard Drive, then stream from the Hard Drive to the target CD. The stream from the Hard Drive can be read very quickly indeed, and the burn is much less likely to fail unless something very significant happens.

RC

extreme P
18th Feb 2007, 03:33
Nero. In the thousands of CD's and DVD's I have burned I have only ever seen one bad burn. CD to CD 'on the fly" is built in with data under run protection.

planecrazy.eu
18th Feb 2007, 10:02
Thanks for the posts back, i will use nero as that other one is a little pricey

spannersatcx
18th Feb 2007, 22:49
even with nero it's not a good way to do it, always always do it to the hard drive first.