PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon Undercarriage in Circuits

steve149c
17th Feb 2007, 09:59
Hi All,

I have noted that during circuits the Typhoon doesn't raise its landing gear. Planes such as the tornado, hawk, jaguar will lift there undercarraige as soon as they have rolled/overshoot until they are on the downwind leg, then relower.

The Typhoon doesn't do this. Is this due to the undercarriage being lowered that the onboard computer software changes the handling characteristics? Or it there another simple reason?

Many Thanks

Steve

BOAC
19th Feb 2007, 09:05
We did not do it on the Lightning either (the 'on-board' computer there was semi-human.:) )

In that case it was to prevent a problem getting the gear down again with a lowish fuel state. Why raise it anyway? It is only an ingrained 'habit' which is not really relevant in a high-performance machine. Just wears out the push-me-pull-me bits too.

chevvron
19th Feb 2007, 09:06
It all dates back to the EAP, which looked similar. Chris Yeo, the CTP at Warton at the time, said it was SO easy to fly that the pilot tended to get so relaxed, it was easy to forget the '3 - greens' check when turning final. We adopted the procedure of saying 'check 3 greens cleared to land' with him. (at his request)