PDA

View Full Version : Which licence is valid where?

SIBUK
17th Feb 2007, 03:24
I am just wondering if anyone knows of a list that shows what countries accept which types of licence.

What is mean is; in europe its JAA, America its the FAA, but I hear that there are some countries outside of america where you can fly using your FAA licence or Transport Canada licence etc. but I am struggling to find out 'which countries accept what' so to speak.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

i4iq
17th Feb 2007, 06:29
Why don't you pick the country you want to fly in and then find out what you need?

Oogle
17th Feb 2007, 08:06
It's not a matter of "accepting" a licence, it is what registration that is on the side of the aircraft that matters.

If you want to fly an N reg - you must have a FAA licence. UK reg - you must have a UK licence, VH reg - you must have an Aussie licence, etc.

That being said, some (alot of) countries will "validate" your ICAO licence that allows you to fly an aircraft with that country's registration. Most validations will have specific conditions attached to it. eg. You can only conduct aerial work and only for a specific operator on a specific aircraft type. These validations will also have a time limit applied (12 months in the UK).

Depending on where you want to fly and for how long will dictate if you validate your licence or convert your licence. :confused:

RVDT
17th Feb 2007, 16:41
I think you will find most aviation authorities will allow the aircraft to be flown as follows.........

1/ Your licence matches the tail tag regardless of where you are.

2/ You can fly most aircraft if your licence is valid in the country where you happen to be, for that aircraft, regardless of the tail tag. USA, NZ, AUS, JARLAND.

i.e you have an AUS licence, you are in AUS you can fly an N tagged aircraft without a US licence. FAR 61.3 (1)

Now that does not mean to say you could fly a N tagged aircraft in AUS on a Canadian licence although you probably could in Canada obviously.

The same philosophy applies with maintenance as well. But look it up as the case may be as there are exceptions.