PDA

View Full Version : XP doesn't want to start

SawThe Light
16th Feb 2007, 21:42
Tried to fire up the laptop today and is doesn't get past the black screen with the Windows XP logo that shows the start-up progress bar. Simply sits there indicating that the start is in progress but it never completes. It starts OK in safe mode but that's no any use to me.

From the safe mode I restored the system back a couple of weeks but it had no effect.

Its a Toshiba TE2100 running XP Pro and has all the current updates.

Any thoughts on getting it past the starting sequence.

Cypherus
18th Feb 2007, 08:16
Once you have the comp running in safe mode try a system file check:

To run this press START, RUN and type SFC /scannow. (note the space between SFC and /, it is part of the command)

This will cause a system file check routine to begin which will check all the major system files for you, have the XP install disc handy as it may call for this if it requires to copy a file, and while it is not documented anywhere, if SFC replaces a file I would re-boot to make sure the file takes effect.

If this does not correct the problem go for a repair, this will retain all your data but I suggest you back up anyway just in case something goes wrong, this option will replace all the xp system files with original copies so will knock out SP2/Updates and any restore points leaving your system vulnerable to virus infections of the net, particularly Balster and Welchia variants which are now free roaming, once done enable the xp firewall before reconnecting the phone cable, then log onto Microsofts update service and download all the relevant updates.

This will work for all versions of XP except some OEM and some supplied as pre-installed in which case you will have to contact the vendors help desk to obtain the relevant information on how to re-install XP.

Full details can be found here on how to perform a repair install of XP.

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm#How%20to%20Repair%20Windows%20XP%20by%20Instal ling%20Over%20top%20of%20Existing%20Setup:

vapilot2004
18th Feb 2007, 08:30
This could be caused by a USB device or PCM card fouling things up. Try disconnecting all USB devices and emptying your PCMCIA slots.

SawThe Light
18th Feb 2007, 19:18
Thanks guys. In the meantime I had a techie take a look and he tells me it's a really simple fix - just slip a new hard drive in!

Blasted Toshiba garbage! I think the trash bin seems a better option.

unclenelli
19th Feb 2007, 06:34
I had the same problem last week.
I had just done a Windows Update from the M$ site which needed a reboot after downloading.
During the Reboot, after the POST screen, the Black Windows screen appeared followed by a flash od BSOD, then a restart.

It was fixed by a "Start using last known good/working settings", then a second reboot.