PDA

View Full Version : Drug Testing In Oz

Twin Head
16th Feb 2007, 21:04
Whats your thoughts on the introduction of these tests.

1. Do you think a random 10% is effective in the industry, or is it all that casa can afford?
2. Should it become mandatory at your medical renewals?

Casa has developed their system on the road random breath testing system, how many times have you been in the queue for a test after a few too many drinks and then the police pass you on because they are full, yes escaped again.:cool:

What are your views on the methods for detection:

1. Blow and spit on the spot
2. polair pulls you over for a blow and spit - hover parking bays

th:ok:

Skid Bighter
16th Feb 2007, 22:48
Luckily I don't know anyone stupid enough to go flying pissed but I am sure they are out there, i'm all for random drug and alcohol testing and wouldn't have a problem with it being introduce into the annual medical exam.

NZLeardriver
16th Feb 2007, 23:13
Don't have a problem with it, but worry about the extra charges. CASA will want another $130 for implementing and processing the drug test.

Gary Smith
16th Feb 2007, 23:22
We are tested by our employers at their cost, if randomly tested, does it cost us or is this cost consumed by casa? If negative i would not want to incur another cost, if positive well then anything goes. I like the medical option as it covers 100% of the commercial pilots all the time.

gulliBell
16th Feb 2007, 23:37
I reckon CASA need to subject themselves to random drug testing. If for no other reason than for introducing the $130 processing fee for a clerk to enter data off a medical form that I paid a doctor $60 to complete. I refused to pay up, so they refused to issue the certificate :ugh: Doesn't change the fact that the doctor reckons I'm medically fit.

p.s. I know of several instances of pilots flying under the influence, or being sent home when the random drug testers show up (to avoid being tested), or who fail to show up for work after a heavy previous night out on the grog :=

17th Feb 2007, 01:56
I like the medical option as it covers 100% of the commercial pilots all the time.
I agree but it should be standard (and the same) for anybody in the industry, not just CPL's.
ATC staff, Engineers, SPL's, PPL's, CPL's, ATPL's and as mentioned CASA staff. Why not also include all the Sport Aviation licence holders too.

B Sousa
17th Feb 2007, 14:09
Random Testing has been going on in the states for some time. It is a pretty good expense for companies, I think a few hundred dollars a shot.
Whats more amazing is some Pilots flunk. Im talking Cocaine, Marijuana etc.

My advice to any moron who is ordered to take a random test and if flying/using drugs. Quit your job, thus its not considered a refusal. and get out of town. Then although your unemployed, you didnt get a positive test and you have time to think about your actions.

TalkEffect
25th Jan 2010, 10:51
Wondering if anybody knows any early results of CASA introduced drug testing. Any +ve results, sackings etc... I am aware of some AOC holders being asked to explain to CASA why they should not be suspended due to the lack of DAMP policy etc..

topendtorque
25th Jan 2010, 19:11
Testing 100% of pilots at medical will yield absolutely nothing, anyone with a problem just goes cold turkey for the required time. Result 100% negative tests, and negative use for say one month. what about the other eleven months. That would just be an extra unnecessary cost to pilots.

Unfortunately I have seen enough of fatal accident reports of late to prove to anyone who wants to read that alcohol and or marihuana does impare judgement and some drugs do hang around in hair samples for several weeks.

If, it is going to be effective then it certainly should apply to all airspace users. It's insulting enough to have private operators running around competing openly on commercial work, but to have them doing it half gassed is really rubbing it in. And, lets not forget the $2k at least extra cost in setting up a DAMP that we law abiding citizens have to endure for the glory of competing with them.

I've even heard of an R22 AOC operator who on his time off for recreation would fly with a non qualified pilot, starkers except for a parachute and practice jumps onto a moving truck. Did someone mention the courage one gets from rum and grass mixed? No not me.

Random testing could be had without the shiny seat numb brain excercise of setting up a DAMP for those few to whom it applies. such excess paper war futility is not part of any commercial wheeled pursuits such as taxis or trucks.

However one has to admit that random testing has slowed down consumption by motor car drivers.

All that is required is a law prohibiting use and random testing coupled to the mandatory test after any incident/accident. No Paper, no extra cost to aviation.

Gas Producer
25th Jan 2010, 20:52
Topendtorque is exactly right.

If you know a drug test is coming up you can change your behaviour prior to the test, so doing a drug test at the time of the annual medical is nonsense.

It must be random, and there must be serious consequences. Forget about complaining about the expense. If that's a concern then the battle to keep the industry as clean as possible has already been lost.

Gullibell has written what we all know to be true: The reality is there are those that are prepared to drink or take drugs and then fly. In so doing, they put themselves, the aircraft and their passengers at unnecessary and unreasonable risk. Their practices won't stop just because we think it should.

If the argument to deal with this problem is valid then it should be dealt with. Period. Saying that the problem is serious enough to be dealt with and then not doing the all things that are actually necessary to effect a valuable and discernible outcome is illogical.

Maybe the regulators should stop some of the b:mad:t charges they do impose so that funds are available for more meaningful practices.

GP :}