PDA

View Full Version : Lynx Attack Helicopter

HEDP
15th Feb 2007, 16:52
MOD website claiming that 4 Lynx Attack Helicopters have arrived in Norway?

Didn't think they were even armed let alone attack.

If the MOD can't get it right what hope is there for the journo's

HEDP

PS - Tech biff, can't do the link bit

Archimedes
15th Feb 2007, 16:59
Does sir mean this? (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/TrainingAndAdventure/CommandoHelicopterForceArrivesInNorwayToFreezingTemperatures .htm)

HEDP
15th Feb 2007, 17:03
Mmmmh one does, thanks, and if I can't get it right either!

3 Lynx attack helicopters even!

HEDP:rolleyes:

matkat
15th Feb 2007, 17:08
Anyone know their routing? I am in Haugesund and a few weeks back saw some sea kings flying out of here was it them?

Tourist
15th Feb 2007, 20:24
Lynx AH 7
Hmmmm, I wonder what AH stands for?:rolleyes:

TBSG
15th Feb 2007, 20:32
Despite suspecting a Wah here:
AH = Army Helicopter, not Attack Helicopter. Gazelles, Lynx and Apache all share "AH" + a marque; hence Lynx AH7 and AH9; Gazelle AH1; Apache AH1 (not AH64).

Or, of course, possibly:
Ancient Helicopter
Auld Helicopter
Average Helicopter.

So what does HAS stand for, as in Lynx HAS 3 or HAS 8, in service with the Andrew?

timex
15th Feb 2007, 20:32

They used to be......:( :(

Just because you can't see anything....

MReyn24050
15th Feb 2007, 20:44
So what does HAS stand for, as in Lynx HAS 3 or HAS 8, in service with the Andrew?
HAS. - anti-submarine helicopters

TBSG
15th Feb 2007, 20:46
Armed yes, attack - never.

TOW missile is really not in the same ball park as wot sits on the Apache. At least it's better than what the Gazelle offered - rude words shouted loudly through the window. TOW good for the 80's, mind, and the US still stick it on the Bradley and the HMMWV I believe.

Now Lynx is armed with nothing more deadly than the GPMG for "self defence".

Tourist
15th Feb 2007, 20:53
There are a few charred iraqis that might disagree about the attack bit TBSG, and the HOT Gazelle is not a bad bit of kit.

I would rather hunt at night in a lynx (before their unfortunate loss of manhood:sad: )

timex
15th Feb 2007, 20:57
TBSG, guess you didn't see the work done by the AAC and 847 on Op Telic then? 847 working as Gaz and Lx pairs did a lot of good work, just because the Gaz didn't have a weapon it still came in handy for lazing tgts for both TOW ranges and the Jets for designation. Don't forget they also controlled the guns for a while too. One Gaz guy even earning a DFC..

El-Dog
15th Feb 2007, 21:22
Don't tar all Lynx with same proverbial - I seem to remember the RN Lynx carrying out a smattering of attacks during GW1 and of course Lynx Mk8 is HMA not HAS - Helicopter Maritime Attack

Two's in
16th Feb 2007, 00:23
Earth shattering news nevertheless, I went on my first Clockwork in 1978 and it had been going a while even then.

Saintsman
16th Feb 2007, 06:55
Well apart from the occasional snowball fight we have had some downtime.

No no no. Is there no health & safety in the Navy? :hmm:

Dancing Bear
16th Feb 2007, 08:32
Thanks El-Dog, saved my tender fingertips, HMA Lynx Mk 8, great all round aircraft especially with the 50cal, and the Mk 3 sunk 60% of the Iraqi Naval assets in '91 with no loss,doing exactly what it was designed for (how many of us can say that!) still sounds like an attack aircraft to me. Shame on you green types for only thinking in a land dimension!

Braced for incoming!

TBSG
16th Feb 2007, 09:11
Tourist, sorry, my point was actually only that the Lynx AH variants have always been termed an armed helicopter, not an attack helicopter. I don't dispute for one minute that it can attack. The first role of Army Aviation was always Armed Action. Not quite sure how they are described with Apache now in the fleet.

Mr-AEO
16th Feb 2007, 09:59
Don't worry, in a few years this will all be OBE because the Army Lynx will be replaced by the BLUH (erk, sorry Freudian Slip) - BRH.:}

There is no 'Attack' in Battlefield Reconaissance Helicopter as far as I can see.

Glad to see that we keep ourselves up to speed with Clockwork training in Norway, I had a bloody good time of it in 1988/1989 on 845.

'Black death' skiing down the local slopes and all that - good times were had by all.:)

Faithless
16th Feb 2007, 20:58
TBSG

"Now Lynx is armed with nothing more deadly than the GPMG for "self defence".

Dont forget a certain Navy and Army Sqn has "Another" type of weapon.:ok:

WE Branch Fanatic
17th Feb 2007, 10:50
When did 847 lose TOW capability? What was the justification?

vecvechookattack
17th Feb 2007, 13:21
Dont forget a certain Navy and Army Sqn has "Another" type of weapon.:ok:Yesterday 10:59

exactly.....Better not discuss that on here though

The Claw
17th Feb 2007, 15:11
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/7069/lx7vr6.jpg

HEDP
17th Feb 2007, 15:18
I'll stand by that statement.

Lynx TOW went out of service when exactly?

It sure isn't armed with it now.

And it was only an anti-tank platform anyway! Never a mention of Attack Helicopter.

Nice bodge using an OHP stand though, is it standard fit :E

HEDP

The Claw
17th Feb 2007, 17:47
Splitting hairs old chap, maybe you should have stated that you thought they were "no longer" armed! :ugh:

Tourist
17th Feb 2007, 18:04
"only an anti tank platform"

hmmm, so the TOW missile had no effect on buildings, cars, boats, bunkers trucks, people, pergolas, patios, lawns, coffee shops etc.

An extraordinary level of target discrimination for such an old weapon!

Who would have thought those old cold war scientists were so smart?:rolleyes:

HEDP
17th Feb 2007, 20:01
I'd have thought the missile wasn't fussed! It's the operator who gets to discriminate;)

w1ngnut
17th Feb 2007, 22:49
When the IFTU did the first missile firing tests on the Lynx, the shock of the missile leaving the tube was so large that it caused all the breakers to trip. By all accounts the pilot almost wet himself.....:ooh:
Also, did you know that the Army Air Corps hated the Lynx sooooo much, that the IFTU burnt the first one within weeks of getting it?
Only kidding.:E
They had a mishap whilst doing a compressor wash, the tech manual was wrong. It had 80% Kero to 20% water for the washing mix instead of the other way round. When the mech turned on the washing rig the engine suffered a massive surge and set fire to the aircraft, eventually burning the tailboom off.
It was so funny watching all the ground crew trying to put it out, like the clowns at the circus!
We shared a hangar at Wallop with the IFTU and my mate brought in an Airfix model of the Lynx and when they weren't looking he put it in the bay where the burnt Lynx used to live. I cannot remember exactly now, but I think Hobo took a lighter to it to make it look more lifelike.
Needless to say, they were not best pleased.

Cheers

Trev

Two's in
18th Feb 2007, 01:42
The (untested) Concept of Operations for Lynx Tow in BAOR was when the T-72 Tank Commander heard the "clank" of the missile bouncing off his glacis plate and over the turret, he would open the cupola to see what the noise was, and be garroted by the copper command wire.

timex
18th Feb 2007, 19:09
847 (and the Army Lynx) lost the TOW capability in Dec 05, reasoning behind it was the cost and upkeep of the missile. The Army were also pushing the Apache so really didn't want the TOW around. TOW was a good system in its time, what you saw you could hit (the trg missile had a few probs!!).

Lookin 4 a Loggin
18th Feb 2007, 20:15
HAS = Helicopter Anti-Subamarine (mk 3)
HMA = Helicopter Maritime Attack (mk 8dsp)

alex_holbrook
19th Feb 2007, 10:03
http://www.hrvatski-vojnik.hr/hrvatski-vojnik/092-932006/bpictures/helikopteri_4.jpg

RichardIC
19th Feb 2007, 10:44
Nice artist's impression - but that's all it is, a pretty picture.

None of that warry load has been funded

WE Branch Fanatic
5th May 2007, 14:29
Some of you may be interested in this (http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=442846&in_page_id=1770), an extract from Armed Action by Lt Cdr James Newton. Not sure where the thread started with this link went............ ?

I believe that 3 Commando Brigade were facing an armoured counter attack in the Al Faw area, and 849 NAS Sea King ASaCs were used to direct TOW attacks by Lynx AH7s from 847. A number of MBTs, APCs and artillery pieces were destroyed. Chinooks and Junglies provided most of the transport. Therefore this key part of the operation depended on carrier (sort of) aviation. Additionally Naval Gunfire Support was provided by HM Ships Chatham, Marlborough and Richmond and HMAS Anzac, as mentioned here (http://navynews.co.uk/articles/2003/0305/1003052201.asp).

Going back to the Lynx AH7, does having skids instead of wheels cause problems aboard ship?

timex
5th May 2007, 15:12
I believe that 3 Commando Brigade were facing an armoured counter attack in the Al Faw area, and 849 NAS Sea King ASaCs were used to direct TOW attacks by Lynx AH7s from 847. A number of MBTs, APCs and artillery pieces were destroyed.

I don't think the 849 guys actually directed any of our cabs, that was done by the guys on the ground. That said the info/Int/early warning that 849 produced was outstanding.

Going back to the Lynx AH7, does having skids instead of wheels cause problems aboard ship?

It can cause problems with pitch and roll limits, however the biggest problems were with moving the A/C around on deck with ML handlers.

You also need to judge your T/O and Landings quite well too.......:D :D

Shaun

ericferret
5th May 2007, 15:22
The opposite of attack is defence.

So if the Lynx was not an attack helicopter when equipped with TOW it must have had them for defensive purposes.

I always thought they were for ATTACKING Russian tanks. Silly me.

So what is the definition of an attack helicopter?

GreenKnight121
6th May 2007, 00:38
" Going back to the Lynx AH7, does having skids instead of wheels cause problems aboard ship? "

Ask the USN & USMC about that (UH-1 since 1964 and AH-1 since 1969).

7th May 2007, 06:19
Timex - you are right about the training missile; on one TOW shoot on Salisbury Plain I had 3 rogues, 2 hangfires and a misfire out of 10 missiles. Kept the ATO busy though:)

timex
7th May 2007, 09:02
Crab@saavn

Spookily enough the Live missiles worked as advertised...........I think we had one problem with about 50 fired!

Shaun

airsound
8th May 2007, 18:56
Two's In - apologies for the lateness of this response - but I've only just seen your 18 Feb post.

I much admire your erudite delineation of the Lynx TOW Concept of Ops for BAOR. In fact, it tickled the chuckle-muscles all day.

I guess it just goes to show how good we Brits are at making the best of a less-than-perfect job.

Actually I'm sorry I didn't catch it when you posted it - that was my birthday.

Anyway, thanks.

airsound

Two's in
9th May 2007, 15:37
Story of my life Airsound, a dollar short and a day late...