PDA

View Full Version : Chicago O'Hare transfers

lplsprog
15th Feb 2007, 14:18
I'm travelling from MAN to Ord and then on to Miami, and unsure how much time it will take to go through security etc. at ORD. Any suggestions on how much time I should leave between flights for the transfer?:ok:

Crepello
15th Feb 2007, 14:29
You're not going to like this, lslsprog, but I'd seriously recommend three hours.

Problem is that you're often at the mercy of huge shuttle vehicles, which jack up to a plane, collect their payload and carry (I'd say) over 100 passengers. If you just miss one, you can lose 15 minutes. If you reach the international arrivals hall after five other flights, you can be waiting 90 minutes to clear immigration. If you then miss the shuttle to your onward terminal... you get the picture. And of course, you can't simply run to make up time.

On a perfect day you might make it in 45 minutes, but on a bad day you'll be glad of the extra time. Happy travels. :ok:

manintheback
15th Feb 2007, 14:31
Plane to gate via the monorail if switching terminals - never taken me more than 45 mins but guess allow twice that just in case (assuming you arent waiting for baggage)

obgraham
15th Feb 2007, 16:15
Here's the steps, Iplsprog. People often think if they are connecting on they can skip some, but 'tain't so:
1.Exit plane, via jetway if you're lucky, via bus if you're not. See earlier post.
2.Wander the halls a half mile or so to immigration.
3.Wait in the "Non US" line, which can be long if the family ahead of you is a Pakistani Dad, Chilean Mom, and 3 kids from former marriages.
4.If you look neat, tidy, and pale, you should be through quickly.
5.Go to baggage claim, wait for all your bags.
6.Only them can you exit customs, again that step likely quick.
7.Recheck bags for your connecting flight, after you find the one clerk doing that job out of the 11 sitting around.
8.Back to terminal.
9.Make your way to connecting flight's terminal via train or a long walk. Seldom are the 2 close.
10.Back through security check line. Typically 20 min, often 45-60.
11.Get to connecting flight's gate.

There's no skipping anything. If the stars align, 45 minutes. But they seldom do.

oncemorealoft
15th Feb 2007, 16:21
Ignore Crepello's response. I think he is confusing St Louis with ORD!

Depends on other arrivals but worst I've waited at ORD immigration was 30 minutes. Quite often it's under 10. The monorail is very frequent (every 5 mins?)and takes a couple of minutes between the two terminals.

Man in the back's advice sounds good and safe. You'll probably have time for a beer.

Of course going backthe other way, you arrive and depart from the same terminal (if you are travelling AA).

spanishflea
15th Feb 2007, 16:37
I'm assuming your travelling AA? In that case I would avoid the 2pm flight to MIA, and go for the next one at 3:40pm.

As mentioned above the main pitfalls are the immigration queue, and security back into the domestic terminal. I queued for about 10 minutes at the First Class line the other day, the main line was massively longer.

The other major factor is the connection between the two buildings. Its simple, but the first time you do it its eminently possible to end up in the wrong place (translation = I did 1st time!).

AA are very very good with international transfer passengers. Personally having transitted ORD several times I would go for the tightest connection offerred. AA are ace at getting you on the next flight if you misconnect, and as an international pax you have high standby priority. However for the first timer the longer connection is definitly more secure and less stressful!

WHBM
15th Feb 2007, 17:17
AA are very very good with international transfer passengers. Personally having transitted ORD several times I would go for the tightest connection offerred. AA are ace at getting you on the next flight if you misconnect
This is true, together with the statements about varied delay times. Basically the attitude is that if it all works out and you make a tight connection, fine, otherwise you will be put on the next flight.

AA have thousands of misconnects at Chicago each day and they do indeed take it all in their stride, and you need to have the same attitude. It is fine if your final destination has frequent departures, as many do. Not so good if there are only a couple of flights a day.

lplsprog
15th Feb 2007, 17:21
Thanks Gents for your replies :ok: Hope it isn't as the Lone Ranger Crepello says but with my luck it is bound to be just like that:E (and me with Mother-in-law in tow)