PDA

View Full Version : Eurocopter celebrates a century of helicopter flight

Heliport
15th Feb 2007, 07:20
Eurocopter Press Release
A Century of Vertical Flight
The first-ever vertical flight was made by Paul Cornu in 1907. Since then, the spirit of conquest, technological progress and innovative ideas have made the helicopter an indispensable vehicle for saving lives, protecting the public and contributing to the economic development of the world. Eurocopter is proud to celebrate this anniversary during 2007 and
to share its passion for helicopters.

http://www.eurocopter.com/publications/img_wsw//100ANS-small.jpg

After the flights of a few small and extremely light working models, the development of lowweight internal combustion engines with enough power paved the way in the early 20th century for the first flight of a piloted helicopter. History has retained one date, 1907, and a few names, to mention but Bréguet-Richet, Cornu, Pescara, and Oehmichen.

The machine of Paul Cornu - a mechanic and a clever inventor - is often recognized today as one of the first helicopters to have achieved piloted free vertical flight for a few brief instants. Although the achievement was modest, it has left a lasting testimony of this man's passion and determination in his unequal struggle against the complexities of vertical flight, the sputtering engines, and the ill-suited materials of the time.

A hundred years later, the science of flight mechanics is well understood - although it may still hold a few surprises - and today the engines and materials are up to the job. The tools have thus evolved but the passion and determination of the early European pioneers has been passed on intact to the mechanics and engineers of the 21st century. This is probably the reason why Eurocopter - one of Europe's leading integrated companies - has become the world's No. 1 helicopter manufacturer.

Throughout the year of 2007, we will regularly recall the most striking episodes in the history of the helicopter in press releases and in articles published in Rotor, the Eurocopter information magazine. This history has always been closely entwined with the industrial adventure of Eurocopter, whose roots are profoundly anchored in the fertile ground of European aeronautics.

A second century has now opened for the helicopter, where the inescapable prerequisites are passion and innovation!

flyer43
15th Feb 2007, 07:58
Happy Centenary fellow Rotorheads!!

Heliport,

Although I wont dispute the achievement by Mr Cornu, he was sort of pipped at the post for vertical flight by the Breguet-Richer Gyroplane No. 1. This machine had four bi-plane rotors powered by a 40 hp Antoinette engine and carried a man into the air for 40 seconds.
However, the machine had to be tethered by four men to keep it stable, but the flight was still recorded as the first manned 'helicopter' flight.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l83/Flyer43/breguet1.gif

Heliport
15th Feb 2007, 08:46
I simply quoted Eurocopter - and wondered if opinions might be divided about the chronology. ;)

Head Turner
15th Feb 2007, 11:16
The fertile European brains are behind most of the worlds inventions. As a helicopter pilot I salute the energy and efforts of those inventors and aeronauticians. I won't be around in 100 years but I ask the question....
Will helicopters still be around then or will they have followed the dinasaur?