PDA

View Full Version : A320 center tank pumps

varigflier
15th Feb 2007, 02:10
Here's a question for a320 drivers.
My airline just issued an OEB on the center tank pumps. It basically says keep the fuel mode selector in manual all of the time and center tank pumps off whenever there is less than 2000kgs. If there is more than 2000kgs then turn them on after you select flaps 0. If the pumps are automatic, it makes no sense going through all of this.
Any other airline operating like this?? Can anyone explain why?

nnc0
15th Feb 2007, 02:51
Pretty much every A319/A320 using Eaton Fuel pumps has to comply with the same OEB.

Basically you risk an in tank explosion anytime the CTR TK pumps are started with less than 2000 kg fuel in the CTR TK.

The confusion might be because you weren't affected by the first AD concerning these pumps. Recapping Briefly - Eaton pumps manufactured after s/n 6137 (?) were assembled by machines. The torque on the some motor housing nuts wasn't calibrated correctly with the result that they fell off and the bolt they were attached to dropped into the motor windings exposing the tank to possible arcing at startup. Subsequently, all Eaton pumps manufactured after pump s/n 6137 needed to be removed and fixed.

Now jump ahead 6 months. Subsequent investigations showed that manually assembled pumps are also subject to the same problem. Airbus tell me that a new AD on this will be issued in April directing that these manually assembled pumps must be operated per the OEB.

And just to clarify a couple of things or point out my own misunderstanding-. The CTR TK Pumps cannot be started anytime you have less than 2000 kg, they need to be OFF anytime there is less than 3000kg unless the fuel is required to continue the flight at which time you must leave them ON until CTR TK est depleted.

Dream Land
15th Feb 2007, 02:56
Some more info copied from the AD in Australia: Background: An operator reported a failure of this type of fuel pump in service. Subsequent investigation revealed that the cause of the pump failure was that one of the two screws and nuts holding the gas return connector to the top of the motor housing had
become unscrewed. The screw dropped between the motor rotor and the stator where
it caused the short circuit resulting in the circuit breaker tripping. Further
investigation concluded that this was due to the inadequate locking mechanism of the
nut and the screw being incorrectly torque tightened. Consequently, the integrity of the pump’s explosion proof housing is not kept and arcing may occur during the failure. In case the pump is not submerged in fuel, an explosion could occur both in-flight or on ground.
Installation of pumps with a different PN and/or pumps PN 568-1 -27202- 005 with a
serial number outside the batch defined in the applicability of the AD is considered a
terminating action of this AD.
This amendment includes an inspection and modification requirement which
addresses the unsafe condition. Incorporation of that modification will also terminate
the actions detailed in this AD.
The original issue of this AD became effective on 8 May 2006.

varigflier
15th Feb 2007, 13:29
Thanks guys. This has clarified the situation for me. The company didn't tell us anything about it, just said do it and because people down here tend to make up stuff, I thought I would check around and find out what's going on:ok:

Neil Tranter
1st Mar 2007, 10:13
Gents

Hi my name is Neil Tranter and Im the Technical Manager for Eaton Fuel Systems, and also the Programme Manager for the A320 Pump Modification.

Just wanted to say that Eaton have a dedicated team to support this issue who are available 24/7 and can answer any query.

You can call us on 00 44 (0)1329 853632

email us at [email protected]

or vist the support web site at http://www.eatonaerospaceltd.com/support/techsupport.html

or drop me a note at this forum.

Best Regards

Neil