PDA

View Full Version : Herc landing accident in Iraq - BBC report

Nige321
13th Feb 2007, 11:22
News here... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6356789.stm):{
N

dionysius
13th Feb 2007, 11:22
Typical Herc thread, just look at the J versus K thread and the Female Herc pilot thread.
Public schoolboy humour at its best............:yuk:

seriously though glad all the crew got out safe and sound...:ok:

threepointonefour
13th Feb 2007, 11:26
I hope they all make a speedy recovery and that any BOI is quick and painless. Well done on no fatalities, whatever the cause.

glum
13th Feb 2007, 11:42
Was it a J or a K, the news snippet doesn't say?

London Mil
13th Feb 2007, 12:09
A previous, now deleted (?) post suggested it was a J.

mutleyfour
13th Feb 2007, 12:31
Glad all ok!

No banter as thats not allowed..and may cause thread deletion because a humourless soul has more power than those that do.

propulike
13th Feb 2007, 12:41
The posts could of course have disappeared because the thread starter changed the thread title (as requested) so as not to cause unnecessary angst....

I'd never suggest that though as a conspiracy theory is far more likely.

Very glad to gear that there were only 2 minor casualties. (Plus a few heart attacks when the planners try to devise a new plot with 1 less airframe ;) )

CommsBiff
13th Feb 2007, 12:53
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/swindonnewsheadlines/display.var.1189555.0.hercules_destroyed_in_iraq.php

The Wiltshire base has confirmed that the C-130J plane was destroyed but that the aircraft crew and passengers were safe.

Well done to the guys for getting out.

Nige321
13th Feb 2007, 13:39
Sorry, no conspiracy theory - I killed and restarted the thread due to a poorly worded thread title for which I apologised...:uhoh:

N:ouch:

Line35
13th Feb 2007, 14:24
Hey - Wasn't this the aircraft that was pictured (a series of pictures) in the Sun before Christmas? The pictures showed it on the landing run and then a fire/explosion in the port fuselage/wing. There was then another picture of the a/c being blown up to deny it to the enemy.

London Mil
13th Feb 2007, 14:30
Nope. That one was in a different country. :sad:

edwardspannerhands
13th Feb 2007, 14:53
Glad the crew & pax all made it out A O.K.:) Just leaves the problem of how we're going to meet all committments having lost 2 Hercs in the past 6 mths. Is Des going to ask Big Gordy to open the biscuit tin for some attritition replacements, or we will just 'soldier-on' until the A400-M arrives???:hmm:

Same topic different angle......hope the pilot wan't the same one who gave that fantastic (E.O. based - NOT!!) interview to the Sunday Times!!

Body Armour Donned - a/w Incoming!!

PPRuNeUser0211
13th Feb 2007, 14:56
Did they not in the dark days of old buy enough to allow for attrition throughout service life? Or did the J fall into "smart procurement" which, I suspect, allows for no such thing!

glum
13th Feb 2007, 14:56
We just blew up a J? Eek! Hope it was one of the free ones...

ex_rigger
13th Feb 2007, 15:37
Glad all got out ok. Heart stopping moment for all, including us back here in UK.
Be it J`s or K`s our thoughts are with you.

flipster
13th Feb 2007, 16:52
Glad all got out ok. Minor injuries only thank the Lord!
Perhaps the GE sprained his back retrieving his wallet or was it the Co recovering the catering???

Get back on the horse quickly chaps

Flip

billynospares
13th Feb 2007, 17:04
Didnt we cancel our second tranche of J's. Now that was smart wasn't it ! Glad everyone got out ok. Does anyone know the tail number ?:(

serf
13th Feb 2007, 19:12
...................must have dropped a pencil on finals.

brain fade
13th Feb 2007, 19:19
876, allegedly.

ZH875
13th Feb 2007, 19:59
'876 - Phew....... Still she was my sister. Glad that all got out.

lampeterexile
13th Feb 2007, 21:29
Fixed loads of snags on her in the past. She also took me on a few nice routes:ok: :ok: RIP

N Joe
13th Feb 2007, 21:30
Smart_Chap's comment about 2nd line repair teams and spares needs to be kept in mind when we not only procure our next ac, but also when we civilianize more 2nd, 3rd & 4th line engineering organizations. I'm sure if we could have guarded the ac for just a couple of months, the IPT could have written a business case to raise a PDS task to ask Lockheed to design a repair for Marshall's to go to Iraq and embody!!???!!

Top use of library pictures on local BBC news - XV177 taxiing around.

Glad to hear no serious injuries.

N Joe

MLT
23rd Feb 2007, 15:09
Flight International - 'Runwayside bomb' new threat as UK defence ministry blames improvised explosive device attack for RAF C-130J Hercules loss in Iraq - here. (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2007/02/23/212277/runwayside-bomb-new-threat-as-uk-defence-ministry-blames-improvised-explosive-device-attack-for.html)

fabs
24th Feb 2007, 07:24
A couple of years ago we had an Air Traffic Controller based near a strip in Maysan Province. Part of their tasks was to check for Runwayside IEDs etc. Don't know if it is still the case, it's been a while since I've been there.

propulike
26th Feb 2007, 13:14
That sounds like a $#!t job! Driving up and down in a landrover looking for something designed to take out an aircraft?

Or are you really going to surprise me and say the MoD provided a different vehicle for the task...

fabs
26th Feb 2007, 18:26
Or are you really going to surprise me and say the MoD provided a different vehicle for the task...
No surprises, it was a pink L110 landrover (I think) that needed a bump start about 50% of the time, the MT section at Abu Naji seemed to spend more time working on that than their own warrior vehicles.

TorqueOfTheDevil
28th Feb 2007, 11:25
Did they not in the dark days of old buy enough to allow for attrition throughout service life?

Maybe, but I'm guessing (forgive me if I'm wrong) that the planned attrition rate was somewhat below 4 per year...

IIRC (and again, apologies if I'm mistaken), until the one lost in the Balkans, there had only been one Herc lost in recent memory (the one in the Highlands). In the last couple of years, there have been at least four.

Just goes to show how hard the Herc guys (and girls - in between press interviews ho ho) are working - great job you do despite the difficulties and dangers, long may it continue.

SKYCOOK
28th Feb 2007, 16:36
:eek:
A little harsh, Credit to pilot and crew for ensuring all got out alive in what is one of the scariest landing grounds in theatre.

:ok: To pilot and crew, thank God all alive.