PDA

View Full Version : Homebuilt scene in France?

RV6
12th Feb 2007, 05:19
If I chose to relocate to France for a few years for work, would it be possible to operate my Australian-registered Vans RV6 there?

I hold the maintenance authority for it here in Oz as the builder - what is the deal in France - do you have similar regulations or would I have to use a licenced maintenance facility to stay legal? All thoughts and advice gratefully accepted.

Mark 1
12th Feb 2007, 14:33
Strictly, you would have to register your aircraft in France, and obtain a permit to fly there.

I know that they only allow the standard kits, and not the quick-build kits for the RVs in France. I'm not sure of the position for importing homebuilts.

There are several RVs flying in France, and some builders/owners are on the Yahoo "RVSQN" e-mail list rvsqn (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rvsqn). That may be a good source of contact.

You may also be interested to make contact with vansclubdefrance/ (http://www.vansclubdefrance.org/)

RV6
13th Feb 2007, 01:41
Thanks, Mark1

You're right, I would have to re-register, as my Australian C of A is only valid for flight within Australia unless given special permission from other states.

Interesting that France doesn't allow the Quick build kits. Wonder why? There is an argument that having vital components like the main spar and the tanks professionally built is safer.

Cheers

RV6

will5023
14th Mar 2007, 22:37
Hi RV6, one way to do it is to get your aircraft on the PFA permit to fly system here in the UK, you will have to register it in UK, quite a few peolple keep their UK homebuilts in France and you can get a UK inspector to travel, to you or fly over to UK for a weekend for it's permit renewal.
hope that helps !

Will.

skydriller
16th Mar 2007, 01:00
Are you sure you need to re-register? I know of at least a couple of N-reg Experimentals (one RV-6 incidentally!) in France. If you are "The Authority" for maintenance, then if it is legal to fly your Aussi registered RV in France then why do you need to do anything? Why not just ask the DGAC for permission to fly in France before getting into the re-registering hassle?

Regards, SD..