PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player!

Rocky1987
11th Feb 2007, 11:53
Hi all,

I upgraded from Windows98 to Windows XP recently and have had some trouble with videos in Media Player! When I play certain ones it is fine but on others it will only play sound and you cant see anything!
Is there anyone that knows what this problem might be?

Cheers,
Lee

FormerFlake
11th Feb 2007, 12:02
Do you have all the codecs? I tend to use Media Player Classic ( a free download) to play DVDs and videos.

Rocky1987
11th Feb 2007, 12:16
I dont know if I have all the codecs. How do I find out and can I download them?

Cheers,

Lee

terryJones
11th Feb 2007, 12:58
You almost certainly will NOT have the codecs. 'Tis another example of Greed. The company that were providing codecs for win 95/98/ME did not play Gate's game for XP, hence not all codecs shipped with the player.
Try and get a copy of Nero, not only will you then have a reasonable CD/DVD burner and other tools, but you will have an EXCELLENT media player (No Vested Interest In Ahead), and less reliance on Micro$oft

Cypherus
11th Feb 2007, 13:12
I have MP10 installed and it still gives trouble on occasions due to the codex library, so if in doubt have two, I downloaded months ago the VLC player, and was todate suprised to find there is nothing it will not play without compliant, can be had for free from here:

http://www.download.com/VLC-Media-Player/3000-2200_4-10210434.html

Rocky1987
11th Feb 2007, 13:27
Thanks a lot for the reply's people it's much appreciated!

I'm at work at the moment so when I get home I shall download that Player and see if it works!

Thanks again,

Lee

Rocky1987
11th Feb 2007, 13:38
Just download that player from Download.com and it wont open.

It says windows cannot open the file without knowing what created it! Are there any other players out there that are just as good?

Cheers,

Lee

vapilot2004
11th Feb 2007, 15:08
It says windows cannot open the file without knowing what created it!

Standard warning from Windows. The developer simply did not bother to jump through the hoops and pay the 'graft' money to Microsoft et al to have a security certificate validated for that particular file.

I dont know if I have all the codecs. How do I find out and can I download them?

Right click the file in Explorer and view the advanced properties to see if it is available here. You may need to change MPlayers behaviour regarding codecs in the Options dialog. Covered in this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291818/en-uk) Microsoft support article.

Beware of web searches for certain codecs. They can damage Media Player and also install malware. Create a system restore point just in case.

Good Luck!

terryJones
11th Feb 2007, 15:23
I just looked at the link, and sure enough it saves as a .DMG file.
Without some more jiggery pokery its a difficult one, needs converting to a ISO then even more probs mounting on a virtual drive, by the look of it.
WHY do some people do this instead of a EXE file, beats me.

Try this link, comes as an exe.
http://www.5star-shareware.com/Windows/Music/MultimediaPlayers/vlc_media_player.html

malvin
11th Feb 2007, 15:47
Reason why VLC players like a bomb, it is cause most codec are encoded into the software. Do a search on google for codec and there will be sites where you can download the correct ones.

Cypherus
11th Feb 2007, 21:59
Sorry you had a problem with Download.com not somthing I have ever come across, but you can D/L it direct from

http://www.videolan.org/

And by the way, it's not a Bomb of any kind at all, just a very good freeware media player, and yes it really gets up Bill Gates nose. :D

malvin
11th Feb 2007, 22:29
You just said it, its a very good media player, therefore what I said but in a different language.

Keef
12th Feb 2007, 03:06
I downloaded VLC because of the problems I'm having with the latest WMP. It's certainly better than WMP (doesn't take much), but pixellates and does strange things with one or two videos I have. Nero's video player handles them flawlessly.

Conclusion: dump WMP and use Nero.

Devlin Carnet
12th Feb 2007, 08:06
Just for the record, I believe .DMG is the MAC equivalent of an .EXE