PDA

View Full Version : Blade Separation

UnDies
10th Feb 2007, 16:42
Anyone give me a detailed explanation of this? Cheers

SASless
10th Feb 2007, 17:30
Probably a violent lurch is felt as your lights go out. If you are very unlucky you will feel the lurch, hear a lot of loud ugly noise, and you then have a few seconds to question why you are not stocking shelves at Tesco instead of being in a helicopter.

the beater
10th Feb 2007, 17:32
Colin Fry could probably put you in touch with a few people with first hand experience. Or have I misunderstood the question?

ShyTorque
10th Feb 2007, 18:18
:confused:

I don't think there are any cockpit drills for this one.

Blade separated from aircraft = pilot separated from breath shortly afterwards.

VfrpilotPB/2
10th Feb 2007, 18:27
Sasless Has it right on the money......... But would stacking shelves give any of the sheer excitement of flying an eggbeater:cool:

madherb
10th Feb 2007, 19:08
During formation flying, the art of keeping one's blades separate from those of the rest of the formation. Essential for longevity. (Note: Do not try this at home. Best left to the experts)

:ok:

UnDies
10th Feb 2007, 19:42
My apologies gents, shouyld have put it another way - anyone able to explan what actually happens to the blade - more on the technical side i.e reasons how and why it occurs.. cheers

slowrotor
10th Feb 2007, 20:01
Usually blades break off from "fatigue", meaning the blade has gone through more bending cycles than it was designed for or had a defect that was a stress riser.
A google search of "blade disbond" will get some hits about blade separation.

UnDies
11th Feb 2007, 05:02
cheers mate