PDA

View Full Version : RAF Little Rissington

Capt Squat-thrust
10th Feb 2007, 10:22
Perhaps this post is in the wrong place, but maybe someone here is in the know.
Rumour control has it that some civil light aircraft maybe kept at Little Rissington and additionally visits by other GA types are permitted (PPR) for the landing fee of £7! is this true? what has happened to the crown indeminety insurance that has traditionally made visits to other RAF/MOD airfields too expensive to visit?

The thought has occured that maybe the MOD has realised that perhaps having a number of minor airfields on its books (Rissy, Colerne & Hullavington - in my area alone) that an income could come by attracting GA.

It has always seemed sad to me that some historic RAF airfields sit almost idle (Colerne comes to mind here) with only UAS flights while some GA could relocate away from busy airports and inject some money and extra ATC practice to these locations.
As a member of an SE sindicate based at BRS, Colerne would be Ideal for us.

leader12uk
10th Feb 2007, 17:23
It is being run by a group who vacated Kemble, They are even offering hanger space - I suspect it is the old type blister hangers as the main hangars are fenced off and used for storage. They do have a web page somewhere (which I cant find at the moment)

WildRover
14th Mar 2009, 09:46
Upper Rissington incl. RAF Little Rissington (http://www.upperrissington.co.uk)

Devonair are: Devonair at Little Rissington (http://www.devonair.net/)

Toddington Ted
14th Mar 2009, 17:37
Little Rissington! I well remember some night flights from there in something called a Varsity when I was an air cadet many, many years ago. Sorry, I suppose this should be in the nostalgia and historic thread - as should I.

Halfbaked_Boy
14th Mar 2009, 18:12
Little Rissington is also the worldwide distribution 'HQ' for DH Dove aircraft parts :ok:

It's rather impressive, how many spares they have lying around there!

And yes, it's £7 - you have to taxi down a little grass 'path' (it's not really a taxiway hehe), and if you do so, keep a good watch on how far your wingtip is away from the brick wall!

Cheers

lastgasp
14th Mar 2009, 22:01
Halfbaked Boy

Forgive my ignorance, but your reference to Dove spares seems to imply that somewhere out there there is still a demand for spares for Doves, which in turn implies that there might be Doves still flying.

I am sure that the cognoscenti will sniffingly point out that I could search the interwebbynet, but to be honest I am in a post-prandial state and a bit limited. Since you seem to be well-informed, can you tell me - I shall see the response when i surface - are there still Doves?

EGGP
14th Mar 2009, 23:07
This one is still active

Photos: De Havilland DH-104 Dove Mk8 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Mayfair-Dove-Aviation/De-Havilland-DH-104/1454114/L/&tbl=&photo_nr=12&sok=&sort=&prev_id=1456591&next_id=1453865)

sonicstomp
15th Mar 2009, 16:22
Once upon a time my grandfather was with CFS at Little Rissington - maybe this thread can be hijacked for nostalgia after all

Halfbaked_Boy
15th Mar 2009, 17:03
Hi lastgasp,

There are a few Doves still managing to stay airborne!

I know of no less than six in the United States used for commercial operations of one sort or another, and at least thirteen in Europe, including the Mayfair Dove at Biggin Hill.

And when I say 'headquarters', that's my interpretation of a few stacked boxes in the middle of one of Lt. Rissington's two enormous hangars :ok:

There is a serviceable Dove actually at Rissington, rather it 'looks' to be airworthy or would require very little touching up to get her back in the sky again. I must be honest, when I sat in that cockpit I fell in love straight away.

It's a harsh, metallic old flight deck (not much space for your 'outboard' knee to rest!) but has a somewhat 'cosy' aura about it.

All the best, Jack :ok:

Molemot
15th Mar 2009, 17:19
And that glorious de Havilland SMELL.....now, THAT'S nostalgia!