PDA

View Full Version : Robert Christin (Courchevel Instructor) dead

Engine overtemp
9th Feb 2007, 17:23
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but couldn't find it.

It's been reported that the flying instructor that I did my Courchevel rating with has sadly died in a crash at Val Thorens this week.

In French (http://rhone-alpes-auvergne.france3.fr/info/28080107-fr.php)

Sad news.

Adrian N
9th Feb 2007, 19:02
His funeral will be tomorrow morning (Saturday) in Courchevel.

Very sad, and sobering for all of us who fly in the mountains.

Justiciar
9th Feb 2007, 19:09
"Monday afternoon a light aircraft used for tourism crashed close to the piste des gentianes, in the resort of Val Thorens in Savoie. The two occupants of the aircraft died.

"The aircraft was based at the Courchevel altiport, in Savoie. It landed at the Val Thorens altiport where it let down a passanger. On leaving the aircraft struck the mountain and crashed at about 2,200 metres, for reasons not yet known, in an area free from skiers. The aircraft burst into flames on impact. The piste patrol arrived very quickly to put out the fire. Two people were pulled from the wreckage. One of the occupants was already dead. The second victim could not be revived despite the efforts of the rescuers. The two victims were experienced pilots. This evening the gendarmerie were appointed to inquire into the accident to shed light on its cause."

Above a rough translation for anyone interested

si_lud
11th Feb 2007, 19:14
Terrible news. I also did my rating with him last year - lovely guy, and knew the mountains like the back of his hand.

My deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

nouseforaname
20th Feb 2007, 12:21
don't want to relight this thread as it's very sad news for anyone connected but i got a real shock today when i phoned to speak with him to find out he had passed away.

Very sad news, I was only flying with him just before Christmas.

condolences....