PDA

View Full Version : Super Puma L1/L2 pilot's emergency exit levers

gnow
9th Feb 2007, 14:31
I wonder if many of us would have noticed that the position of the pilot and co pilot's emergency door jettision levers are way far too low. With the harness locked it would be very difficult to reach for the levers . In an inverted situation after ditching, there is no way that the levers could be activated. For the L2 drivers, in addition to pulling the jettision levers, the door needs to be pushed ( kicked) at the bottom of the door. I would really pity the poor co pilot. I wonder if this is really a design flaw or the aircraft is to be flown by gorillas with elongated hands.(that is why we get paid peanuts?)

Fareastdriver
9th Feb 2007, 14:51
I wouldn't worry too much. I know eight pliots who have had to do it for real and they didn't seem to have much trouble. But again six of them had the doors off before the cockpit floor got wet.

verticalhold
9th Feb 2007, 14:52
gnow;

Noticed that when I flew the beasts. Also the dinghy pull behind your head is a bloody long pull. Final bit of gloom, have you ever thought how far up the doors the front float bags would be if you ditched and it stayed right way up? You'd have to give either door a bloody good kick to get it over the bags.
On the S61 the cockpit exits had the habit of jamming and on the S76 there was a potential problem with floats and getting the dinghy out of the p1 door.
Lets face it if you don't survive its easier to blame you:E :ok:

Although as Fareastdriver suggests adrenaline will probably help. You might be delayed getting out as you remove the seat cushion from your fundament, however;)

ShyTorque
9th Feb 2007, 16:27
Good point, always a good idea to think these things through in advance.

Anyone else done the "dunker" with "S-76" type front hinged doors on? Getting them open underwater is quite an interesting exercise, especially if inverted.

Hint: Don't try kicking them open unless you want to break your leg on a seemingly immoveable object. A strong, steady pressure is needed to make them "ooze" open. After some experimentation (it's amazing how quickly you can experiment), I found the best way for me was to lean hard on the door before removing my harness, in order to get a good purchase and leverage.

gnow
10th Feb 2007, 02:46
I have had a few of my friends that had to go through the ordeal in real life recently. One on the right hand seat did not make it. One had problem reaching the lever on the right seat and had to go through the window (medium built pilot) and one was lucky enough the left door was flung open on impact.
I wonder if most of you practice egress drills on a real machine (in the hangar whilst on maintenance). Please share your experiences if the doors opened easily (esp on the L2 where there is an extra push required on the lower corner of the door)

DOUBLE BOGEY
15th Feb 2007, 09:26
Jeeez,

As an L2 driver I am more concerned at how many appear (from the content of this thread) to have gone into the sea.

Where is all this happening???

Magjam
15th Feb 2007, 13:48
As Double Bogey said(!?)

I`ve pulled the emerg. door release handle on both L\L1\L2 in the hangar. They pop off with little effort..