PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Girls

blackace
9th Feb 2007, 14:07
Extract From article in today's salon written by a Pilot responding to a woman who accused him of being sexist because he referred to flight attendants as stewardesses.

Makes interesting reading.

Over the years, two large-scale changes in the airline business turned stewardesses into flight attendants. First and most obvious was the growing number of applicants who, through the dictates of biology, simply couldn't be stewardesses, no matter how hard they tried. At first, these employees were called "stewards." Thus, the airplane cabin wasn't terribly different from a restaurant, where stewards and stewardesses, like waiters and waitresses, stewed.

(Er, that is to say, served their customers. As is wont to happen in the lexicon of industry, some atrocious variations were spawned from an otherwise innocent root. Fortunately "stew," as both a verb -- "I stewed at Braniff for 14 years" -- and a slang noun -- "What hicks those stews are at Piedmont" -- was seldom heard beyond the airport crew lounge.)

Generally, people don't get wound up over labels like "waiter" and "waitress" -- gender-specific terms for workers of opposite sexes whose tasks are basically identical. "Actor" and "actress" are another example. In the airplane it was similar, except that as time went on, these workers and their employers wanted us to take them more seriously. As aviation itself evolved, from a realm of the elite to a form of mass transportation, this was perfectly good reasoning. Airplanes became bigger and faster, carrying many more people; the job of attending to those people grew less concerned with extravagance and more concerned with efficiency and safety. Passengers -- hundreds at a time -- don't need or expect to be doted on or pampered. They need to be served, overseen and, if need be, kept alive. The "real job" of the cabin staff isn't serving pretzels and cocktails, it's reacting to emergencies. How do you evacuate 420 people from a burning 747 in 90 seconds or less? How do you prepare a plane for a crash landing? Ask a flight attendant. Now that's got a bit more gravity. Per regulation, the maximum number of seats an airline is allowed to install on a given aircraft depends partly on how many flight attendants it carries along.

I can't say for sure if Joanne Miller's issue had more to do with gender association or some perceived professional insult. In other words, was she offended as a woman, or as a worker? (I'd be anxious to know, but she never replied to my letter.) If it's the former, I'd recommend she relax a little, maybe take a walk and do some reevaluating. If it's the latter, my sympathies are much stronger, though I'll remind her -- along with anybody else who may have been bothered -- that I employ "stewardess" sparingly and, more often than not, colloquially in tone. It's a break. It's for color.

And it could be worse. "Trolley dolly," for instance. I'm told that expression is popular in Britain, and elicits great compassion for the crews flying loads of inebriated soccer fans home from losing matches.

Or, instead of directing your protests at me, you might wish to address them to Singapore Airlines. I personally don't mind, but the world's 13th largest carrier still proudly refers to its female cabin crew as the "Singapore Girls." Boasts the airline's Web site: "We have one of the world's youngest fleet in the air, a network spanning five continents, and the Singapore Girl as our symbol of quality customer care and service." It's a branding that dates to 1972 and is the brainchild of Ian Batey, founder of the Singapore advertising giant Batey Ads, with whom the hometown airline has shared a decades-long relationship.

In many countries, the requirements to become a Singapore Girl are the stuff of discrimination lawsuits or are banned outright: Candidates can be no older than 25, and are forced to "retire" by 35. They must be of Asian extraction (most are Singaporean or Malay, but many are Chinese, Indian, Korean, Indonesian or Japanese) and must be "slim and attractive, with a good complexion and warm personality."

"The Singapore Girl strategy turned out to be a very powerful idea," writes Venture Republic magazine. "A successful brand icon with an almost mythical status and aura around her." Madame Tussauds wax museum in London installed a Singapore Girl in 1994. It was the museum's first commercial figure. In 1992, the Mattel toy company released a Singapore Girl edition of its famous Barbie doll.

"The Singapore Girl encapsulates Asian values and hospitality," adds Venture Republic, "and could be described as caring, warm, gentle, elegant and serene."

Or, put another way in a story from Reuters, "Despite her success, critics complain the Singapore Girl concept is sexist, outmoded and largely intended to serve male passengers' fantasies of desirable, subservient Oriental women."

I don't know how many male passengers truly fantasize about subservient Oriental women, but plenty of fliers, male and female alike, fantasize about good on-board service. Obviously the Girls excel in that regard, helping Singapore Airlines rack up more customer service awards and accolades than virtually all other carriers combined.

flyflyflying
10th Feb 2007, 08:26
Interesting thread, Blackace. Especially for me - I'm a Singaporean, and have been through the Singapore Girl 'audition' :} I chose not to join the airline eventually because of the questionable criterias the airline seeks in its crew.

Strange that a successful airline in a modern and developed country would practice such old-fashioned method of selecting its cabin crew - if the method ever existed elsewhere! Due to the appealing nature of the job most girls do not mind subjecting themselves to what some might consider a 'discriminating' recruitment exercise.

The criterias and practice may have started since the beginning. It has not changed. In this time and age the world-reknowned airline still chooses its cabin crew based on

- age: seems the younger the better. It is also sad to know most female crew can work only till they're 35. How does that sound to you if you have to leave in your thirties, when it should be the peak time of your career?

- appearance: we're not talking about carrying-yourself-with-confidence/pose - it's downright checking for pimples, pimple scars, crooked teeth, figure, etc. Anything the airline considers unsightly even in the most discreet area of your body means 'you may try again next recruitment'

- appearance (more): the airline could be denying the above but how else can they explain the procedure where ladies are scrutinised by employees of the airline many of whom are anonymous in names and positions? These 'checks' are carried out when ladies have to don old kebaya uniforms (impromptu part of recruitment); and swimwear (yes, swimwear - right after a water confidence test). These are some of the recruitment stages... are they necessary? I couldn't help but feel a sense of vulnerability and insult as the employees look you up and down, even inches from you to check for 'flaws'. During these stages candidates need not speak, nor display ability of teamwork whatsoever.

The stringent selection and screening of many other airlines are understandable, for suitability of the candidates in terms of personality, work experience, linguistic ability, grooming standards at the most. What SIA lacks in their selection process is really finding the right candidate using better interviewing methods and team assessments. Being pimple-free, 20 years of age simply does not qualify one suitable for the position. Sure, it is a branding/marketing icon... albeit a seemingly shallow one.

There must be a reason why there are as many people resigned every month as there are hired? I sure hope Singapore Airlines would review its recruitment process and look into new and useful interviewing techniques.

Rush2112
10th Feb 2007, 08:30
Interesting read. I live in Singapore and fly on SQ about twice a month, and I find the cc on the planes to be the best I have ever encountered. I have flown on BA, TG, KLM, MAS, CX and Garuda amongst others and consistently, SQ are the best.

Last week I noticed a story in the Happy Times (aka The Straits Times) about the Singapore Girls: a lot of Singaporeans think it's a bad thing nowadays, colonial hangover, etc etc. They also complain that they only treat Caucasian males well, and ignore other passengers. Not in my experience I have to say, they always appear to treat everyone well. In fact, some of the rudest passengers are the rich older generation of Singaporeans who seem to treat everyone around them like a slave, and how these cc keep their cool is beyond me - says a lot for their training!

One SQ cc made the point in the article that when they are seeing passengers off the plane at the end of the flight, they always say goodbye etc, and 99% of the time the Singaporean passengers totally ignore them, whereas most of us Westerners make some kind of response. She said, who can blame them for being more friendly to the gwailos?

ekkru
12th Feb 2007, 03:54
Well I think the image of a Singapore Girl has become an international icon of the yesteryears and think its about time for it to move on and and for Singapore Airlines to focus on other things to pormote its Products and Services.

Frankly having been the "other half" of the Singapore Girl, a.k.a the "Singapore Boy" (if this ever existed) I am kinda sad to see it go but saw it coming for quite some time now. Think the latest ads seen on tv and all the latest promotions held,I could see its existence fading away. They tend to focus on the Products now eg, the new Business Class and First Class seats. Focus is now on its products more than the girls,although the girls are always in the picture. Not so focussed as before. Before you could see them either prancing around with some children in Africa or sitting down in a London cab breezing thru London or Waltzing down San Francisco next to the San Fran trams. Not anymore though.

As for the interviews with Singapore Airlines I must say that some of it seemed unnecessary to the job but Singapore Airlines is all about image and face value. Crew get grounded if they have a pimple break out or getting fat, so it boils down to image of their cabin crew. I mean, have you ever seen an ungroomed cabin crew for Singapore Airlines. Even after a 14 hour flight??!! So think they start the "training" from the interviews.

As for Singaporeans finding the crew to discriminate them, well,they only got them to blame for it. Singaporeans onboard can be an unfriendly lot. They just don't like to talk and unsociable. Caucasians onboard are more chatty and reciprocate the conversation. I've tried tirelessly to try speak to them but only get a "one word" answer from them, so we do give up sometimes. Plus some treat the crew like dirt and slave them around. Thinking that they "own" Singapore Airlines. So don't think we treat ang mohs better. They just more sociable.

Just my two penny's worth

The EX Singapore Boy.

Rush2112
21st Feb 2007, 05:27
This has been rumbling on in the Happy Times now for weeks and yesterday's Business Times has a two page article with various Caucasian and Asian CEOs giving their views.

Seems to me that someone (surely not the Singapore govt) is trying to distract the populace from something more relevant / interesting / newsworthy by continuing to stoke this story.

Couldn't be Thailand attempting to get its comms satellites back, or Indonesia harping on about sand, or the forthcoming hike in GST???

FOXPRESIDENT
24th Feb 2007, 11:31
I've just flown down to Sydney from Manchester via a three day lay over in Singapore - with Singapore Airlines - they were very good... some stuff they could have done good but thats besides the point.