PDA

View Full Version : RAF Reserve

Beagle-eye
8th Feb 2007, 15:42
One of my employees has just informed me that he has applied for a commission in the RAF reserve (Flight Operations ).

I am not unhappy about this but have a bunch of questions which he cannot answer so …. I came to the font of all RAF related knowledge that is PPrune 

Is this individual likely to be deployed ?
If so how long is a deployment likely to be for ?
As an employer am I obliged to give time off for training and deployment ?
Am I obliged to pay this individual whilst on training/deployment ?

Any information would be most welcome.

Cheers B-E

Beagle-eye
8th Feb 2007, 15:51
> So he wants to join the RAF as a Commissioned Office
Negative. If you read my post I said ... "RAF reserve".
They do have a web-site but its all about what fun he will have in the RAF Reserve and nothing about what it might cost me, in time and money, as his employer. :confused:

TMJ
8th Feb 2007, 16:07
> So he wants to join the RAF as a Commissioned Office
Negative. If you read my post I said ... "RAF reserve".

Reserve or not, it's still a commission with the words Royal Air Force on it...

They do have a web-site but its all about what fun he will have in the RAF Reserve and nothing about what it might cost me, in time and money, as his employer. :confused:

A very quick google for Reserve Forces and Emplyer gives
http://www.sabre.mod.uk (http://<a href=). In particular http://www.sabre.mod.uk/output/page2.asp http://www.sabre.mod.uk/files/pdf/SaBRE_Guide_for_employers.pdf and http://www.sabre.mod.uk/output/page503.asp (http://www.sabre.mod.uk/output/page503.asp) may be of interest.

Talking Radalt
8th Feb 2007, 16:45
They do have a web-site but its all about what fun he will have in the RAF Reserve and nothing about what it might cost me, in time and money, as his employer
Presumably it cost you too much time/money to read further down the website....
Q. Should I inform my employer if I'm thinking of joining the RAuxAF?
A. All new members joining the RAUXAF will be expected to inform their employer accordingly either personally or through their unit. This process, which is called Employer Notification, has been adopted because it is important for all concerned - you, your employer and the MOD - that your employer is supportive and aware of the associated benefits, rights and obligations of employing a member of the RAuxAF. Further information on Employer Notification can be obtained from www.en.mod.uk .
Q. Will I be called up to go to war?
A. By joining the RAuxAF you indicate that you are prepared to take part in active service, whatever its nature, and there are circumstances under which you may be compulsorily mobilised.
Q. If I am called up, will my civilian job be protected?
A. If you are compulsorily mobilised, there are procedures for you to follow to protect your job. If you volunteer for an attachment to the regular RAF then this will usually be in agreement with your employer. Under the Reserve Forces Act 1996, in the event of mobilisation, employers and employees have the right to seek exemption or deferral in certain circumstances
Q. If I am called up, what if I earn more in my civilian job than in the RAuxAF? Will I receive compensation?
A. If you are mobilised and we take you away from a civilian job that pays more, we will top up your military salary within predetermined limits.

And from the Employer Notification page:
Job protection
Your employer is not allowed to use your liability to be mobilised as a reason to terminate your employment.
However, if you need your employer's permission before taking a second job (which is how membership of the VRF must be viewed) and you have not declared your membership, you may be in breach of contract. If you think this may have happened, you should discuss it with your unit Commanding Officer and your employer.
Reinstatement
If you are mobilised, you are entitled to your civilian job back upon demobilisation (provided you follow the procedures you will be briefed on when you are demobilised).
If that is impossible, your employer has to offer the best alternative. That is reasonable and practicable in the circumstances.

At this extremely busy and costly (in more than financial terms) time for the military as a whole, could I just add I find your "What's this gonna cost me?" attitude along with the "It's all just a hoot, isn't it?" undertone a little disappointing.
Good on yer bloke for wanting to join I say. There's another bit on the reservists website about what you can expect to gain as an employer (free of charge):
Q. Will being in the RAuxAF improve my employability?
A. It will undoubtedly give you that chance. Many of the skills and qualities you will get from training in the RAuxAF, such as negotiation, team working, communication, leadership, management and confidence, are transferable across all jobs and work places. In addition you will have the chance to develop specific skills and earn certain qualifications that may be relevant to how you carry out your civilian work.

gar170
8th Feb 2007, 16:50
"Is this individual likely to be deployed ?" a very good chance dependant on trade.

"If so how long is a deployment likely to be for ?" most call ups are done under sect 56 of the reserves forces act 2000 witch is 1 yr in 3.But you will find that he or she will be mobilised for 6 months.

"As an employer am I obliged to give time off for training and deployment ?"

Not for training but if he/she gets mobilised then they must be released. Although you can appeal against the call up so if that person is say involved in a large project and it would be detrimental to leave at that time they will defer the call up.

"Am I obliged to pay this individual whilst on training/deployment ?"

No Some support in different ways some may give 2 extra weeks paid or give two extra weeks unpaid others basically say they must take time of their annual leave its down to you. If that person is called up then you can claim to have their post filled

His commitment is 1 weekend a month and 2 wks continual a yr.

I done 10 yrs in the reserves and can say it was hard without my employers support but was always great full for it and found it worked two ways.

you will find the answers on sabre web site

gar170
8th Feb 2007, 17:00
And as for a hoot

You will not beleave how much bloody hard work it is to keep your employer family and sqn commitmants at times.

I think if you look past your cheque book and talk in length to your employee and find out what their motivation is you may find that there is a lot better person which you never noticed.

Beagle-eye
8th Feb 2007, 17:06
Thanks gar170. That's just the type of information that I need.

I know that there is employers informationon on the RAF and MoD websites but I really want to know if reality differs from what the MoD tells me.

For the avoidance of doubt I fully support, and have encouraged, this individuals application and I know a lot of good will come of it. I would be remis in my own duties, as a company Director, if I did not seek a balanced view on what my companies exposure would be should this individual be called away on a regular basis.

Thanks for all of thecontributions.

B-E

gar170
8th Feb 2007, 17:13
B-E
No problem if i can help any further then please PM me

Two's in
8th Feb 2007, 18:04
B-E, even though you nobly ignored the earlier dig about your commitment to this, I won't. As someone who has a number of National Guard and Reservists on the books, it is essential to know what your legal obligations are for this, just as you have done. Moral obligations are wonderful, but they don't actually satisfy shareholders or the Directors, neither do they make the bottom line look impressive. I was fortunate enough to be able to offer our guys the difference between their civilian salary and their military pay, so there was no financial burden when they deployed, and we guarantee they will remain employed on return for no less than 6 months - a large risk following an 18 month deployment.

It is always an honor to be able to treat these individuals in a fitting manner, but it isn't my money I am spending when I do this, and my day job is actually to make a profit for the owners. I am not here to shore up the failings of successive Governments and their lack of commitment to an effective Military Force.

gar170
8th Feb 2007, 19:33
Two in

in The UK the MOD will pay the difference in pay from civilian to serviceman pay and also when a reservist is called up under the reserve forces act they must hold that person position for a year and a day on their return. Or at least a job on the same pay scale.
I commend you for the support you show the reservist but i notice that you post from the USA. That makes a big difference in this country the powers to be and more to the point the public show little respect for the armed forces full time or least the reserves.

doubledolphins
8th Feb 2007, 19:49
You should find any thing you need to know at www.sabre.mod.uk. If he was about to become an RNR officer he would know that!

gar170
8th Feb 2007, 20:33
I think B-E was trying to find out what happens in the real world and not all the spin.
Such as this one

Quote:
Q. Will being in the RAuxAF improve my employability?
A. It will undoubtedly give you that chance. Many of the skills and qualities you will get from training in the RAuxAF, such as negotiation, team working, communication, leadership, management and confidence, are transferable across all jobs and work places. In addition you will have the chance to develop specific skills and earn certain qualifications that may be relevant to how you carry out your civilian work.
In my experience if you put this on your application or in your CV you wont get to interview stage leave it out and if you get a interview then raise it it gave you a chance to show your your true self before that took the reserves into account.

doubledolphins
9th Feb 2007, 08:22
May be, but that is all he is going to get from me in a public forum!

Blanket Stacker
9th Feb 2007, 12:15
B-E. If you follow the Employer thread on the Sabre website, you will find the links to the Regional liaison officers - grandly titled 'Regional Sabre Campaign Director'. If you contact the one for your part of the country, he/she will gladly come and discuss your questions, etc. They are usually retired reservists and can give you the latest information as well an honest view of the situation.

Beagle-eye
9th Feb 2007, 14:08
Thanks all

Gar170 has hit the nail on the head … I am trying to find out how the real world differs from the spin.

To reiterate – I am supporting and encouraging his application

B-E

Op Tastic
9th Feb 2007, 20:45
Sorry... thought this was a thread about using the RAF as a reserve, not employment prospects within. For the record, I endorse the former!

OT

:-)